Author Topic: Electric coffee grinder  (Read 1863 times)

Electric coffee grinder
« on: 06 November, 2020, 01:43:47 pm »
I am after buying an electric coffee grinder (must have a UK Plug - not an adapter) that will usually be used for a coarse grind for a French press.

A Salter has been suggested - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-EK2311-Electric-Grinder-Stainless/dp/B07NC4J2BT/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Salter+electric+coffee+grinder&qid=1604669735&sr=8-5

Has anyone any experience of these or alternative suggestions, please?

Thanks for any help.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Re: Electric coffee grinder
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2020, 01:55:20 pm »
Cheap(ish) Delonghi KG79 - I've had one for years and used it at least once every day and its fine bar its susceptible to static. No good for grinding for an espresso machine apparently but I only do filter, french press or aeropress and its good for those.

KG 79 at Amazon

More expensive Melitta Calibra - In built scales. I am considering upgrading to this. Have had a couple of Melitta drip coffee machines and they have been really good. They invented the standard drip coffee filter after all.

Melitta Calibra on Amazon
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2020, 01:57:54 pm »
Oh and don't buy the Salter. That's really a spice grinder. Its got metal spiny blades rather than a burr grinder it will burn the beans.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2020, 02:07:15 pm »
Oh and don't buy the Salter. That's really a spice grinder. Its got metal spiny blades rather than a burr grinder it will burn the beans.

Not just that, the whirling blades smash the beans into particles of all sizes from dust to shards. More caffeine will be extracted from the tiny particles than from the chips, so you'll end up with bitter coffee with a hell of a kick.  A burr grinder slowly reduces the beans to fairly uniform grounds, which will give you an even extraction with more flavour.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2020, 02:23:51 pm »

« Reply #5 on: 06 November, 2020, 04:49:40 pm »
Thanks all.
Just before Ham's post came up I'd been to Amazon and bought the DeLonghi KG 79.

My wife didn't believe that coffee grinder advice would be on a cycling site  :)

« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2020, 07:01:55 pm »
Nobbys 🏠 of fine coffee 😀  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #7 on: 07 November, 2020, 04:59:28 am »
But not ground too fine for a French press!
I got a sack of beans from Coffee 212 for home use, Chris.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 07 November, 2020, 08:08:48 am »
But not ground too fine for a French press!
I got a sack of beans from Coffee 212 for home use, Chris.

"Sack" sounds alarming.  Received wisdom is that green coffee beans will be OK for 2-3 years, roasted for 2-3 weeks and ground for 15 minutes.  I agree with the 2-3 years, and coffee will be best at around 2 weeks after roasting and drop to supermarket standard in a month, so buying a bag of beans larger that what you can drink in a week is a bad idea.  Roasted beans will keep pretty well in a sealed container in the freezer, though.  I buy mine in 4 x 250g bags at a time and keep it frozen until the day before I need it, and when I make coffee I only take out enough for the amount I'm going to make, then seal the bag up again with as little air in it as possible.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9 on: 07 November, 2020, 08:43:54 am »
Just taken a look and it's 1kg and a lot larger than the Fair Trade bags I usually buy.

I'll take up the freezer advice when lockdown is over and there is room in it!

Thanks.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #10 on: 16 November, 2020, 06:22:27 pm »
I have 3 coffee grinders, a hand cranked burr grinder, and 2x spice grinder type ones. One from Lidls for £6.99 and one from Asda for £10.99. Oddly the Lidl one isn't too bad, makes very drinkeable coffee. The asda one though being the same size, makes the same beans taste horrible. While not quite burnt, there is a distinct under extraction going on, the coffee is bland and one notey. Not quite sure why this is, I should check if the blades are the same size/sharpness.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Electric coffee grinder
« Reply #11 on: 16 November, 2020, 08:05:49 pm »
Just taken a look and it's 1kg

So a week’s supply then.

I have a Dualit grinder, which is fine and reasonably priced - does the job well enough for my needs, but I don’t usually drink espresso and wouldn’t consider myself an aficionado like some round these parts.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Electric coffee grinder
« Reply #12 on: 16 November, 2020, 08:06:45 pm »
My wife didn't believe that coffee grinder advice would be on a cycling site  :)

The affinity between cyclists and coffee is well established!

Plus, this place... you will always find someone with an opinion on any subject. Whether that is the same as being knowledgeable is another matter.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #13 on: 16 November, 2020, 08:11:30 pm »
Just taken a look and it's 1kg

So a week’s supply then.

I have a Dualit grinder, which is fine and reasonably priced - does the job well enough for my needs, but I don’t usually drink espresso and wouldn’t consider myself an aficionado like some round these parts.

Ive had a Dualit for nearly 20 years. Useless, utterly useless for espresso, but for anything else its good.

Ive never actually compared it to my Mazzer Major monster grinder for pour over coffee. Perhaps I should.

Ive no idea what is on the market these days. Theres probably something a bit more capable thsn the Dualit for the same money.

WRT T42's comment about caffeine...I think whatever you do with French press there is always going to be fuckloads of caffeine becsuse the water is in contact with the grinds for so long.