Author Topic: Mental Health Benefits of Cycling  (Read 2036 times)

Mental Health Benefits of Cycling
« on: 02 April, 2023, 02:43:58 pm »
I was assisted by 3 complete strangers for this video who's incredible stories really brought home to me just how much Cycling helps people. I've had some lovely responses from people revealing their own demons which are kept in check by riding their bike and thought some of you might get something out of watching it so here is the link to the video

https://youtu.be/WBQ27DQ_FuU

Re: Mental Health Benefits of Cycling
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2023, 11:16:30 pm »
Thanks

And one I found this evening

https://youtu.be/yq76q2sMsq8

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2023, 09:07:28 am »
Beautiful forest!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2023, 10:33:45 am »
Thank you !

I’ve spoken before about the effects on wellbeing when my wife was seriously ill and how couple with the financial issues that arose we suffered badly , and how being the one who was not ill , how not being able to fix it affected me. Cycling was a big factor in helping me cope during those times. Now that we have a son , Lucas who has reasonably complex non verbal autism there are similar issues around providing what he needs in the home and what he needs for stimulation. Recently with the aid of seats and trailers we have started cycling together , he loves it in so far as he is able to contribute , but the motion , the air , the views and the sense of peace that he gets during give him the biggest smiles. He’s generally a happy lad but his condition is such that it does have its challenges for us. It’s not easy for one’s own mental health when you don’t know if you have the resources to provide what he needs but this one thing , the cycling , we’ve got it absolutely nailed , he adores it , I adore it and I adore him - it’s improved his well-being , my well-being and our bond as father and son , my older son has been coming out for about a year now and it warms the cockles of my heart when we are all out together. This video just hammers home the point, no matter how hard things seem we have this one thing right on our doorstep that we love and that we enjoy doing together. I truly hope that your video reaches people that just need that little bit of encouragement to get out there and that it benefits them.

« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2023, 12:58:41 pm »
Well said finch.  I'm glad it's helping you. 

It's easy to get caught up in trying to do everything sometimes, and then rediscover that a bit of time "wasted" (for practical purposes) on the bike makes things slightly better again.

« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2023, 04:34:18 pm »
Even for those with more minor problems it can be so important.