Author Topic: Hi-Ten forks?  (Read 829 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Hi-Ten forks?
« on: 02 October, 2020, 09:22:07 am »
Ok, I'm set to go-a -tinkering.  Grunhilda (my recumbent) has a 1" threadless steerer, on short suspension forks running a 20" front wheel.  I've located a pair of rigid ATB forks, with V and Disc brake mounts,  with a 1" threadless steerer, (rare I know)  My thinking is to experiment turning 'hilda  into a Streetmachine GTE ''MAX'' ( Azub Max clone) , ie twin 26" wheel jobby.  the rest of the bits I have. Forks are only £30 posted, and once I cut the steerer down will prob weigh about 1 kg.  I' 6'2" so not worried about the higher seat.

My question is of the quality of said forks. Described as Hi tensile, but with a disc mount on the lower leg.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26-MTB-ATB-FORK-WITH-V-DISC-MOUNT-1-STEERER-25-4mm-260mm-STEERER-THREADED-BLK/202654996661?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Is there anything to worry about with these fork shaped objects, or will they be fine?

Re: Hi-Ten forks?
« Reply #1 on: 02 October, 2020, 09:54:44 am »
description says "150mm of thread on the forks"..... is that going to work for you?

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 02 October, 2020, 10:50:13 am »
I doubt Hi-Ten is a problem, just means they will be heavy.
However, you say your bike is running threadless, but your link is to threaded forks. Are you planning on changing the headset to a threaded sort so you can use these forks, is the link slightly incorrect, or is something else awry?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3 on: 02 October, 2020, 01:43:14 pm »
Yes, I picked the wrong link, but the steerer would be severely cut, to only maybe 4" long, they did have threadless, sorry folks, was in a rush this morning.

« Reply #4 on: 02 October, 2020, 07:01:17 pm »
Yes, I picked the wrong link, but the steerer would be severely cut, to only maybe 4" long, they did have threadless, sorry folks, was in a rush this morning.

The ad quotes 260mm total and 150mm threaded. That leaves 110mm if my maths is ok and you say you probably want about 100mm so you would probably be ok with the threaded one once you had cut all the thread off. As far as quality is concerned it seems to be about the weight one would expect from chromoly but that isn't to say that the material isn't recycled donkeyshoes. Looks ok though, there are considerably less appealing items on some of the dutch sites (better suited to spit rosting a hog than supporting a bicycle. Just saying!)