Author Topic: ACH The Way to the Sea 200 from Greenwich 3/7/2021  (Read 11254 times)

Re: ACH "The Way to the Sea" 200 from Greenwich 3/7/2021
« Reply #50 on: 04 July, 2021, 08:44:24 am »
This was a great ride, superbly organised. This was the first time I had been given a selection of gpx files. I chose to load the whole route (6500 points) on my Garmin 1030 Plus and it worked really well, trying to correct me only once after I visited the toilet just after the Minster control; Garmin did not seem to recognise this as a valid waypoint.
The distances were spot on. I chose the e-brevet option which avoided the need to keep hold of receipts but which perhaps took a little longer at info controls: getting the phone out, waking up the app, tapping, putting the app back to sleep, putting the phone back etc. This is slightly more time consuming than either making a note of the info or (in time honoured Audax fashion), asking another rider or a volunteer at the next control.
Congratulations to the organiser and all volunteers, and thank to the weather for not implementing the BBC yellow weather warning. No torrential rain as on Tim's ride last week.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
ACH "The Way to the Sea" 200 from Greenwich 3/7/2021
« Reply #51 on: 04 July, 2021, 09:46:50 am »
Later on there is another "surely I am not still in Kent" moment when you are suddenly transported to New England in a housing development (I didn't check but I suspect it's all plastic!).

OMG! It’s horrendous! They’ve obviously gone to a lot of trouble to create a ’village’ feel (there’s even a village hall!) but it all looks so fake and soulless.

Anyway, what a splendid day out that was. Would like to be fitter so I can properly enjoy the lumpy bits more, but I got round ok. Some lovely new lanes I’ve not ridden before. Had a couple of close passes coming out of Minster (feckin’ Sheppey drivers) but neither they nor the few spells of rain spoiled my enjoyment. Great organisation by My & Mrs adamski and assorted ACH crew.

Would definitely do this one again (although seeing as it comes down to my local territory I’d also be happy to offer my services as a controller/helper, adamski, so let me know if you run it again)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #52 on: 04 July, 2021, 10:35:34 am »
I chose the e-brevet option which avoided the need to keep hold of receipts but which perhaps took a little longer at info controls: getting the phone out, waking up the app, tapping, putting the app back to sleep, putting the phone back etc. This is slightly more time consuming than either making a note of the info or (in time honoured Audax fashion), asking another rider or a volunteer at the next control.

Interesting - that's the opposite of my experience. I had my phone easily accessible in my top tube bag, so was able to whip it out, tap in and be on the move again very quickly.

At the Burham info, I arrived to find another rider already there, scratching his head wondering where the fire hydrant was. I had to point it out to him! But within seconds, I was on my way, leaving him to work out which number he needed to write down.

At Sheepcote Lane, I was with another rider when we arrived at the info. Again, I was checked in and on my way while he was still getting his card out and looking for his pen.

At the commercial controls, eg Grain, the e-brevet was definitely time-saving as it meant no need to queue in the shop to get a receipt (I arrived at Grain just after the Islington posse...).

So I'm completely sold on the e-brevet from a rider's perspective. I'll be interested to see what it's like from an organiser's perspective though.

The only minor issue I had was that when I uploaded the GPX to my Garmin, it stripped out the waypoints so painstakingly placed by adamski, so I wasn't always entirely sure where the controls were. For future reference, I'll make sure I have waypoints in place for controls.

« Reply #53 on: 04 July, 2021, 12:28:38 pm »
I'm completely sold on e-brevet too. Obviously I am not as quick at whipping the phone out of my toptube bag as others. I just hope more rides offer this option.

citoyen

« Reply #54 on: 04 July, 2021, 05:26:28 pm »
I've just remembered the weirdest thing I saw yesterday: a pub with its own zoo.

The residents were being very noisy as I rode past.

« Reply #55 on: 04 July, 2021, 05:37:10 pm »
You spent quite a bit of time at the pub with a noisy menagerie I thought.

Then you got the train home

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #56 on: 04 July, 2021, 09:12:37 pm »
Well that worked a treat.

I knew some of the route was decent but I was a bit worried how much Rochester would detract from the ride.. however all comments are very positive. It seems I'll be running it again 👍 perhaps just having a checkpoint with lots of food overlooking the sea makes up for Rochester 😂

Thanks to all my riders for making the event what it was and the help from loads of people. Definitely a team effort.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

αdαmsκι

« Reply #57 on: 05 July, 2021, 09:02:02 am »
(although seeing as it comes down to my local territory I’d also be happy to offer my services as a controller/helper, adamski, so let me know if you run it again)

From what I understand the co-op on the Isle of Grain didn't really cope well with the number of riders turning up on Saturday morning. That was despite having people setting off over 1½ hour spread and there being less than 50 riders on the road.

If When this runs again I imagine there'll be more riders and a smaller spread of times at the start*. Therefore someone stamping cards on Isle of Grain control would be a great help. That would also allow me to move the control to the beach car park https://goo.gl/maps/RL4LAiacbMqzXfwd9 and force everyone out to the coast rather than just turning at the co-op.

* As we discussed, and you mentioned in your thread about start times, I'd look at still having a few waves of people starting, something like 07h40, 08h00 and 08h20 to avoid a whole peloton rolling out from Greenwich together.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

citoyen

« Reply #58 on: 05 July, 2021, 09:20:16 am »
From what I understand the co-op on the Isle of Grain didn't really cope well with the number of riders turning up on Saturday morning. That was despite having people setting off over 1½ hour spread and there being less than 50 riders on the road.

If When this runs again I imagine there'll be more riders and a smaller spread of times at the start*. Therefore someone stamping cards on Isle of Grain control would be a great help. That would also allow me to move the control to the beach car park https://goo.gl/maps/RL4LAiacbMqzXfwd9 and force everyone out to the coast rather than just turning at the co-op.

You know, I almost suggested that when you first announced the ride, but selfishly decided I wanted to ride it instead. But as long as I'm available next time, yep, no problem.

« Reply #59 on: 05 July, 2021, 11:18:23 am »
(although seeing as it comes down to my local territory I’d also be happy to offer my services as a controller/helper, adamski, so let me know if you run it again)

* As we discussed, and you mentioned in your thread about start times, I'd look at still having a few waves of people starting, something like 07h40, 08h00 and 08h20 to avoid a whole peloton rolling out from Greenwich together.
I might be able to run this, calendar permitting. Definitely worth going out to the sea front.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #60 on: 05 July, 2021, 11:38:52 am »
I might be able to run this, calendar permitting. Definitely worth going out to the sea front.

:thumbsup:

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #61 on: 05 July, 2021, 11:03:15 pm »
Possibly, and rather freakishly, the football game in the evening contributed to long queueueues at the unmanned controls, it certainly was the case at Brands Hatch. But thankfully that was just queueueues of shoppers, and not (many) cars on the way back over Blackheath.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

αdαmsκι

« Reply #62 on: 27 July, 2021, 06:31:16 pm »
FYI the 2022 edition is now in the calendar for Saturday 2nd July. There'll be a slight route adjustment in the first leg with a control at Nurstead rather than Meopham. It means 2½ km less on the B260 after Darenth which can only be a good thing. And Isle of Grain control has been moved out to the beach.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: ACH The Way to the Sea 200 from Greenwich 3/7/2021
« Reply #63 on: 29 July, 2021, 07:42:04 pm »
In the diary - and I'll tell my neighbour to get his bike serviced beforehand  ;D
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #64 on: 07 November, 2021, 11:14:21 am »
I did a DIY 200 to Grain yesterday. The southern route to Grain was very industrial but charming in a "back of beyond" almost Dutch way and the return via Cooling was much nicer. Great views of Shoeburyness and also the London Array windfarm from the Coastal park well worth the short ride from the Co-op. I certainly paid for the first 113k with tailwind!

NCN1 back to London was not well advised especially the off road section between near Higham to Gravesend. From Dartford to Woolwich was awful!

I'll be going back to do Sheppey next month also going out to Leysdown but back to Tonbridge via the easier Northern ascent of Hollingbourne Hill

citoyen

« Reply #65 on: 07 November, 2021, 12:32:06 pm »
NCN1 back to London was not well advised especially the off road section between near Higham to Gravesend.

Do you mean the path along the canal? I thought it was supposed to be quite decent, though I've not actually tried it myself.

From Dartford to Woolwich was awful!

The bit round the marshes near Erith is definitely not recommended for road bikes, but it's fine apart from that. Not the prettiest route, but pretty good surface-wise.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #66 on: 07 November, 2021, 03:47:41 pm »
Great views of Shoeburyness

Now that's a phrase you don't often read!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

GdS

« Reply #67 on: 07 November, 2021, 06:16:52 pm »
NCN1 back to London was not well advised especially the off road section between near Higham to Gravesend.

Do you mean the path along the canal? I thought it was supposed to be quite decent, though I've not actually tried it myself.

From Dartford to Woolwich was awful!

The bit round the marshes near Erith is definitely not recommended for road bikes, but it's fine apart from that. Not the prettiest route, but pretty good surface-wise.

yes along the canal, quite gravelly and bumpy, Just before Gravesend was like a scene from Robocop

I just used the dual carriageways from Ebbsfleet to Thamesmead. Ride with GPS couldn't find a better route I should have known after my last ECE back from the ACME Winter Series via the ferry.

Adamski; sorry for thread hijack but your event looks really good and I can highly recommend the route  :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

« Reply #68 on: 07 November, 2021, 06:20:44 pm »
Next time use the outbound route for The Way to the Sea and hopefully you'll experience a more pleasant ride into London :)

The road to Leysdown can get busy (which is why The Way to the Sea only goes to Minister) but hopefully it won't be too busy mid Nov!

citoyen

« Reply #69 on: 08 November, 2021, 08:52:14 am »
The road to Leysdown can get busy (which is why The Way to the Sea only goes to Minister) but hopefully it won't be too busy mid Nov!

If I'm going as far as Leysdown, I prefer to go the long way round via Warden - although the road between Warden and Leysdown is shockingly bad in places, with massive craters.

GdS

« Reply #70 on: 18 December, 2021, 10:38:31 pm »
The road to Leysdown can get busy

you're not wrong there! not just busy but everyone seemed on a mission to get from one end of the island to the other in 10 mins with bad overtakes. There is now a superb cycle path from the old Swale bridge to the Minster RAB but no further.

just did part 2 of the 200s from home

the impressive bridges were worth it but the weather did not lift the spirits! hadn't realised how much freight traffic still operates in and out of Sheerness since the loss of the passenger ferry.

anyway job done and Double RRTY on course  :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

« Reply #71 on: 18 February, 2022, 04:42:18 pm »
Seems the skyline of Grain is changing before our eyes: https://twitter.com/CllrCABeart/status/1494669632132857860?