Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2967062 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #22950 on: 25 March, 2021, 04:35:05 pm »
I had an unexpected message from the GP yesterday inviting me to book an appointment for the vaccine. Great! Called them straight away and was looking forward to getting a drive-through jab on Saturday afternoon.

So why the rant?

Because I got another message this afternoon to say my appointment is cancelled, following government advice not to give anyone under 50 the vaccine until further notice.

FFS!

It’s more disappointing/annoying to have it dangled in front of my face like this than if I’d never got the appointment at all.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #22951 on: 25 March, 2021, 06:20:43 pm »

The owners of the company I work for have no clue. They turned off auto record on all our zoom meetings without telling us a month ago. One of my colleagues faces a months worth of client meetings were no one was taking detailed notes as everyone assumed it was being recorded. It should be ok, as normally action points are emailed after the meeting. But it was quite a shock in the office this afternoon when we tried to forward a recording link to find no recordings for a month

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #22952 on: 25 March, 2021, 07:29:42 pm »
Nice employer fuckery there Gerald. What a nightmare! Arg!

Citoyen, how utterly infuckingfuriating actually cancelling an appointment, that's bang out of line and I suspect it's cos our government are a shitty shambles. So sorry.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #22953 on: 25 March, 2021, 08:16:05 pm »
Citoyen, how utterly infuckingfuriating actually cancelling an appointment, that's bang out of line and I suspect it's cos our government are a shitty shambles. So sorry.

It is totally because our government are a shitty shambles.

I wasn't expecting it to be my turn for a while yet, so getting the invitation was a very pleasant surprise. The murmurings from various sources at home and abroad over the past few days had me thinking how very lucky I'd been to get an invite, as it was starting to look like I might not be getting one for a few months. And after this morning's announcement, I was especially glad. But I made the mistake of assuming that the announcement meant no more new appointments after this weekend...

I don't blame the surgery for this cock-up at all. I presume they could still give me the first jab this weekend, but there appears to be a genuine concern that they might not be able to give me the second dose. And that seems to be entirely down to politics.

Just so fucking frustrating to be within touching distance and have it yanked away like that. In fact, it's really quite depressing. I've had a brilliant week off work this week, even got some proper cycling in, and getting the vaccine invite was the cherry on the cake. Getting the cancellation today has really taken the shine off it and set my mood right back.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #22954 on: 25 March, 2021, 08:58:58 pm »
I had an unexpected message from the GP yesterday inviting me to book an appointment for the vaccine. Great! Called them straight away and was looking forward to getting a drive-through jab on Saturday afternoon.

So why the rant?

Because I got another message this afternoon to say my appointment is cancelled, following government advice not to give anyone under 50 the vaccine until further notice.

FFS!

It’s more disappointing/annoying to have it dangled in front of my face like this than if I’d never got the appointment at all.
That's genuinely shit. How frustrating.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #22955 on: 25 March, 2021, 08:59:40 pm »
Is there still the possibility of hanging round one of the centres towards the end of the day to use up any unused jabs ?
Rust never sleeps

ian

« Reply #22956 on: 25 March, 2021, 09:05:02 pm »

It is totally because our government are a shitty shambles.

I wasn't expecting it to be my turn for a while yet, so getting the invitation was a very pleasant surprise. The murmurings from various sources at home and abroad over the past few days had me thinking how very lucky I'd been to get an invite, as it was starting to look like I might not be getting one for a few months. And after this morning's announcement, I was especially glad. But I made the mistake of assuming that the announcement meant no more new appointments after this weekend...

I don't blame the surgery for this cock-up at all. I presume they could still give me the first jab this weekend, but there appears to be a genuine concern that they might not be able to give me the second dose. And that seems to be entirely down to politics.

Just so fucking frustrating to be within touching distance and have it yanked away like that. In fact, it's really quite depressing. I've had a brilliant week off work this week, even got some proper cycling in, and getting the vaccine invite was the cherry on the cake. Getting the cancellation today has really taken the shine off it and set my mood right back.

You will hate me for saying that my wife, still blooming with relative youth, totally unethically (I tried to stop her, your honour) got hers this afternoon. She has an underlying health condition, you know.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #22957 on: 25 March, 2021, 09:18:31 pm »
I think it is entirely reasonable to be both 'understanding' and really fucking pissed off about the outcome. Especially as it's not been applied evenly across the country.

I hope the jab supplies improve soon so you can get a new appointment and the start of some relief and reduced risk.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #22958 on: 26 March, 2021, 12:19:29 am »

So why the rant?

FFS!

Obviously you never received the cancellation message.  No, honestly.  Must have been a glitch in the matrix, or rays from space or something.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22959 on: 26 March, 2021, 12:33:06 am »
Obviously you never received the cancellation message.  No, honestly.  Must have been a glitch in the matrix, or rays from space or something.

Yeah, just swear about your-favourite-telco in the manner of a tilebagger blaming google maps when caught somewhere they shouldn't be.

Davef

« Reply #22960 on: 26 March, 2021, 06:33:34 am »

So why the rant?

FFS!

Someone I know arrived at their appointment yesterday to be told “no”. Perhaps if we could get our hands on the 17m doses of the Oxford-AZ sitting in European fridges after their PR incompetence means only a third of appointments are accepted.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #22961 on: 26 March, 2021, 09:27:23 am »
Although I've seen no mention of it, I suppose that there must be some 'strategy' limiting first doses as there'll v. soon be a need for 500,000+ a day for the second ones.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #22962 on: 26 March, 2021, 10:34:23 am »

Excitingly there's a story on the fornt of the Grauniad today saying the government are thinking about how they're going to encourage younger people to take the vaccine. Perhaps give us a chance first?

Although I've seen no mention of it, I suppose that there must be some 'strategy' limiting first doses as there'll v. soon be a need for 500,000+ a day for the second ones.

You can work out the approximate overall backlog by subtracting the second dose total from the first and diving by 84 (12 weeks). It's now over 300,000 a day, which is higher than the typical daily rate for most of the year. It makes you wonder if they should be issuing new first doses at all.

Davef

« Reply #22963 on: 26 March, 2021, 01:11:23 pm »

Excitingly there's a story on the fornt of the Grauniad today saying the government are thinking about how they're going to encourage younger people to take the vaccine. Perhaps give us a chance first?

You can work out the approximate overall backlog by subtracting the second dose total from the first and diving by 84 (12 weeks). It's now over 300,000 a day, which is higher than the typical daily rate for most of the year. It makes you wonder if they should be issuing new first doses at all.
The rate of 1st vaccinations will naturally drop as the country runs out of people to vaccinate and so the capacity for second jabs will be ample providing vaccine supplies pick up again towards the end of April.

I think once all groups 1 to 9 are vaccinated there might be some fine tuning of allocation based on risk but we will see.

« Reply #22964 on: 27 March, 2021, 07:33:01 pm »
GPs already prescribe in bulk cos they know people pay per prescription not per amount-on-that-prescription, or will help people time stuff to fit on 3-monthly prepayment certs.

Ear suction, a common issue for earmould users and some people with nasty wax (causes infections and vertigo) is now no longer a GP service and requires audiology referral, except many no longer do it. Charges for that privately are £50-95. I know deaf people who need it every 6 months.

My new glasses x2 are £950 and only £120 of that is frames as I reused my current ones already and they're falling apart. I'm lucky to be able to afford it. If I was actually poor, I'd not be able to have the blue ones at all. I can't just order online cos I need them properly fitted to my wonky face/eyes. They're talking about a replacement in 12 not 24 months this time too - I will try and stretch that.

I know the feeling, I have a complex prescription and pay a similar amount. Fortunately, the optician I uses has a scheme I pay into monthly, I get free eye examinations and also get 50% off all lenses and frames. For me I get back as much as or more than I put in, it's basically an insurance scheme spreading the load- like the NHS should be......

I get sod all from the NHS, haven't see a GP for 10 yrs, what its and bits I needed I had to pay for myself, not disssimilar for my SO.

Even when I was a wee bairn (had complex prescritions since I was 4 or 5) and got "free glasses" it wasn't what it was made out to be. You only got 1 pair of glasses a year and that was the cheapest lens and those nasty "NHS" frames (carrot-red hair, NHS glasses, undiagnosed autistic = odd, you can imagine what fun my schooldays were[n't]  :facepalm:). So, I wasnt allowed to wear my glasses for games and stuff or even for outside play in case I broke them as at the time my parent couldn't have afforded to replace them. Strangely enough I could never catch a ball (couldnt see it coming) and so was never "picked" for teams and hence developed a long-lasting antipathy to team sports and to those who over-promote them. Then when I was about 9 years old, the people at the "refraction clinic" I was dragged along to every 6 months gave my mam a really good ticking off and told her I must be allowed to wear my glasses outside, and all the time. I still remember walking home with them on and marvelling at all this stuff I could see, at being able to read the signs and stuff, wow!. 

Wasn't until I was working and went to a decent independent optician that I had more than one pair of glasses with the up to date prescription, these days I get the high-refractive index lenses which make a HUGE difference to quality of vision. My prescription rarely changes so I have "built up" a stash of a couple of extra spare pairs of glasses which means I can use an old pair for gardening and stuff. (I'm good with my frames too, I have a set of frames that I wore daily for 4 years which are still in good nick). 

Problem is with the NHS is that it's a great idea- but the implementation really needs dragging into the 21st century using best practice from Europe (e.g. I'd be perfectly happy for a contribution to the costs of my lenses thanks as the optician I use is excellent thanks). However, as a concept/symbol the NHS has become a religion and so we cannot criticise it, and this sacredness also gives the right-wingers the shield they need to hollow out the implementation behind the logo by selling chunks to the USA vultures (although that's maybe a tad unfair on vultures).   

GC

« Reply #22965 on: 27 March, 2021, 10:21:23 pm »
IKEA instruction department: There's a special place in (insert afterlife of choice) for you. I can handle the fact that you don't want to use words to save localisation, but using views of assemblies at a 45 degree angle simply doesn't work when you have bits of different lengths and the parallax your view creates doesn't allow me to visualise what goes where. Also, your images don't distinguish between plain wood items and coated items. Trial and error got me through, but much frustration and swearing ensued unnecessarily.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22966 on: 29 March, 2021, 09:29:01 am »
Frustration & swearing here too.

Last year our esteemed Post Office1 decided that henceforth they would limit the sales of stamps over the counter (pandémie oblige excuse) and force us to buy our stamps on line. You have to print them yourself and if you don't have sticky labels to print them on you have to get out the scissors and glue, but that's no skin off the Poste's warty conk.

Their website, natch, is a bouncy, jolly, trendy labyrinth with the attitude of a kindergarten teacher and the speed of roadkill. It takes twenty minutes to persuade it that I want that format of stamp with that number per sheet, with multiple back-trackings because for some obscure reason it keeps showing me full-screen pictures of arseholes playing football2.

When I finally get to click the "Validate" button it goes off into a trance, so I pull up the Quick Crossword in another tab and have a look.  Five minutes later I go back and find the message:

503 Back End Fetch Failed.

Can't find their arses with both hands1.

I hate Mondays.

1. Motto: We're the only game in town so suck it up, asshole.
2. Blow football, presumably

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #22967 on: 05 April, 2021, 09:23:34 am »
Dear lpc construction,

Your crimes against capitalisation pale into insignificance when set against the fact of your rufty-tufty hairy-arsed hi-viz'd minions using a liddle tenk fitted with a pneumatic drill attachment to destroy the pavement of Larrington Towers Road, a scant few yards from both the Great Hall and the Grand Bedchamber.  At quarter to nine in the morning.  On a bank holiday.  I do not know why you are doing this, because no-one saw fit to tell us honest taxpaying residents, but you are still horble cnuts.

DIAF

Sleepless of E17

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #22968 on: 06 April, 2021, 09:38:39 pm »
Holewatch #1:  the rufty-tufty hairy-arsed hi-viz'd minions buggered off yesterday lunchtime leaving a lot of cones, plastic barriers, temporary traffic lights and no pavement.  Today, being an Actual Proper Working Day, no-one has appeared to Do Things at the bottom of the trench.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #22969 on: 07 April, 2021, 12:39:41 pm »
Holewatch #2: Great amounts of tumult and shouting from over the road.  A couple of rufty-tufty hairy-arsed hi-viz'd minions are in evidence along with a big green Mercedes lorry.  Shall they be doing things with the Hole?

No, just loading the former contents of the Hole into the back of their big green Mercedes lorry with its very noisy integral lifty-buckety-thing, and buggering off.  Time taken: ~35 minutes.

« Reply #22970 on: 07 April, 2021, 02:26:29 pm »
Ah sucking excavator heh.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #22971 on: 07 April, 2021, 06:16:29 pm »
Holewatch #3: Even yet more rufty-tufty hairy-arsed hi-viz'd minions have turned up with a lorry full of asphalt and a diesel-engined roller.  At six in the evening.  They have filled in the hole and are rolling the asphalt flat, which means I cannot hear TV's Fergus Walsh telling me whether I'm going to die of AstraZeneca Disease.

I posit that some other rufty-tufty hairy-arsed hi-viz'd minions actually Did Something at the bottom of the hole quietly enough that it was inaudible over DJ Random's machinations at the back of Larrington Towers, unless digging holes and filling them in again is Bloody Stupid Johnson's answer to the New Deal

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22972 on: 07 April, 2021, 07:40:47 pm »
I posit that some other rufty-tufty hairy-arsed hi-viz'd minions actually Did Something at the bottom of the hole quietly enough that it was inaudible over DJ Random's machinations at the back of Larrington Towers, unless digging holes and filling them in again is Bloody Stupid Johnson's answer to the New Deal

Possibly they were non-hi-vis'd minions, and were therefore able to evade detection?

We'll find out if they come back and dig the hole again.

« Reply #22973 on: 07 April, 2021, 08:49:27 pm »

Possibly they were non-hi-vis'd minions, and were therefore able to evade detection?

We'll find out if they come back and dig the hole again.

Sometimes we get the rufty-tufty hairy-arsed hi-viz'd minions to dig a hole to find another buried service, get a picture / drawing / survey of where it is and then fill in the 'trial hole' whilst the design is completed and come back a few months / years later to undertake the big project that will involve digging more bigger holes over weeks and months rather than days.

« Reply #22974 on: 07 April, 2021, 09:03:55 pm »
Irish tunnel trial holes obv.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain