Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2491351 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #21025 on: 30 July, 2020, 12:10:02 am »
That sort of thing is a de-facto invitation to a Silly Commuter Race.  See FNRttS threads passim.

« Reply #21026 on: 30 July, 2020, 02:47:07 pm »
I miss my commute. 

I built up a very nice ti croix de fer as a new commuter and managed about 4 commutes before lockdown.  We've since been told this is the new norm. :(

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #21027 on: 30 July, 2020, 08:15:07 pm »
Mrs P has been making me get up for a ~hour long 'commute' in the mornings. I get a reprieve if it's raining or too windy.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #21028 on: 31 July, 2020, 08:55:26 pm »
Mrs P has been making me get up for a ~hour long 'commute' in the mornings. I get a reprieve if it's raining or too windy.

That's quite a sensible precaution against Covid Tum, that I should have and will endeavour to emulate.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #21029 on: 02 August, 2020, 11:54:13 pm »

:thumbsup:
I managed to do something similar in 2018 when I was contracting from home.  I seem to be crap at getting up earlier than about half 7 these days.

« Reply #21030 on: 07 August, 2020, 08:59:11 pm »
I've been really enjoying what they've done to Bedford Hill in Balham recently. They've pedestrianised the section of road between the pub and the high road. All the restaurants have out their tables on the road and it's just a wonderful atmosphere. The fact that you can still bike straight through the middle of it is great.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #21031 on: 15 August, 2020, 03:02:30 pm »
LJ16 YTD
When you arrive at a roundabout where a cyclist is waiting for traffic to clear, and the first exit is a petrol station, it is a fair bet that the cyclist is not going into the place.

When the cyclist pulls away slowly, because they are carrying four panniers of shopping from Tesco, pulling ahead with them feels more intimidating.

When you then turn left, straight across the cyclist, forcing her to do an emergency stop and nearly drop her bike, it is bloody terrifying for her.

When you are called a 'wanker' and, on your gender becoming apparent, a 'stupid fucking bitch' and told 'don't fucking overtake and then turn right', you are safe in assuming it is because you did a Bad and Stupid Thing.

Shouting back "Didn't you see my indicator?" may, under other circumstances, attract the reply "Under my right armpit, because you were so close when you put it on", but due to the stress caused by a near death experience, you can assume that her actual reply of "FUCKING OPEN YOUR EYES AND THINK!" is an acceptable alternative.

[also in 'motorised moron' board]
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #21032 on: 16 August, 2020, 11:12:46 am »
^if you can summon the energy, reporting it to the police and getting cctv from the petrol station is an option.  Sadly this is made far too difficult.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #21033 on: 18 August, 2020, 06:10:46 pm »
I can't be arsed with the inevitable "Yebbut, it's a private road".

She heard what I called her. She heard why. It pissed her off and spoiled her day. Not as badly as she could have spoiled mine, but hey, it's better than nothing.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21034 on: 18 August, 2020, 07:01:10 pm »
Yesterday morning I stopped at a traffic light and waited for the light to turn green. Apparently this was enough to get yelled at by a pedestrian spoiling for an argument. Yes, my front wheel was a bit in front of the line but it was either pull up there or ride through a red light. He abused me for riding on pedestrian areas. My reply of “I have stopped and this looks like a road to me” wasn’t the answer he was looking for. He was the only person walking across and was ten seconds from crossing the road when I put my foot down. Some people are just weird. It made me smile at least.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21035 on: 18 August, 2020, 07:18:08 pm »
I've had that, even when stopped behind the white line.

"You cyclists! Always running red lights blah blah blah!"

I think I just shrugged at him.

Most odd.

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #21036 on: 18 August, 2020, 11:07:38 pm »
Smile and wave boys, smile and wave.

« Reply #21037 on: 19 August, 2020, 10:06:38 am »
I've been really enjoying what they've done to Bedford Hill in Balham recently. They've pedestrianised the section of road between the pub and the high road. All the restaurants have out their tables on the road and it's just a wonderful atmosphere. The fact that you can still bike straight through the middle of it is great.

Ah, I was just wondering whether you could still cycle down the middle as I'm going that way today and have seen the pics on twitter. Between that and the segregated path the Croydon end I won't know myself!

« Reply #21038 on: 20 August, 2020, 04:14:02 pm »
First commute since before Easter, riding the DF fixed was at first exhilarating due to the height off the ground and the responsiveness to pedal pressure, but after far too few minutes my legs were wondering wtf I was up to with all this effort.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #21039 on: 20 August, 2020, 11:55:41 pm »
First commute since before Easter, riding the DF fixed was at first exhilarating due to the height off the ground and the responsiveness to pedal pressure, but after far too few minutes my legs were wondering wtf I was up to with all this effort.

:thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21040 on: 21 August, 2020, 02:30:57 am »

In the olden days my legs somehow learned that upright=fixed and recumbent=gears.  Which led to confusion on the rare occasions that I used the Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle instead.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #21041 on: 21 August, 2020, 11:09:59 am »
My legs have undergone the same learning - I also panic when I have to use actual brakes on the fixie.

Today was windy, I should have taken the SPM (but I don't like the inability to look round corners into busy roads combined with lack of proper acceleration to get across said junctions).

I have tried cross breeding the fixie and the SPM, but apparently bikes and biology don't mix in this way...

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #21042 on: 26 August, 2020, 08:11:18 am »
A tad breezy this a.m., with big road-hogging lumps of tree in a couple of places.

I think our local supplier of motorised morons must have gone bust. I've not had to shout or gesticulate at anyone since February.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #21043 on: 26 August, 2020, 11:41:51 am »
Yesterday,

A lovely day no one tried to race the fat bloke on the e-cargo bike nor commented that I was cheating.

Today

"Why don't you get a proper bike" - Some roadie

The difference, yesterday it was raining today it was nice.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #21044 on: 27 August, 2020, 09:57:55 am »
Yesterday,

A lovely day no one tried to race the fat bloke on the e-cargo bike nor commented that I was cheating.

Today

"Why don't you get a proper bike" - Some roadie  "Really??? What a . . .<insert appropriate word of your choice here>. Perhaps he thought he was being funny?"

Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #21045 on: 27 August, 2020, 10:06:43 am »
Yesterday,

Today

"Why don't you get a proper bike" - Some roadie  "Really??? What a . . .<insert appropriate word of your choice here>. Perhaps he thought he was being funny?"

I work 10 - 6 generally so I seem to catch the chaps out for a training ride either in the morning, or evening who seem to take exception about me having a motor. I don't know why, it's not like i'm trying to race them, maybe they don't like my singing; perhaps I should take this cycling thing more seriously.

« Reply #21046 on: 27 August, 2020, 03:07:32 pm »
On my way home from work, a mere 1km ride I nearly got hit by a driver failing to give way at a roundabout. When I shouted at him he raised his hands as if to say "what did I do" fucking gammon... I'm finding it harder and harder to keep my cool in these situations.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21047 on: 28 August, 2020, 12:27:06 am »
I work 10 - 6 generally so I seem to catch the chaps out for a training ride either in the morning, or evening who seem to take exception about me having a motor. I don't know why, it's not like i'm trying to race them, maybe they don't like my singing; perhaps I should take this cycling thing more seriously.

I've noticed the emergence of a new species during the recent e-bike boom:  The ones who take exception to me *not* having a motor.  Like, I have the audacity to go slightly faster than them, and I can't even afford a decent bike?!?

Seriously, people.  It's all good.   ::-)

« Reply #21048 on: 01 September, 2020, 11:28:05 am »
Bisley, narrow roads involving oncoming traffic having to give way to traffic in the restriction as per the sign.

Dear Mrs Car Driver

Did you think driving into the restriction which had a bicycle in it past the sign that said give way to oncoming traffic would end well for you.

Yes I called you a fucking idiot, that's because if you think about it (not that you can which is part of the problem) you are, also I did threaten to reduce your car to bit's you can take home in a carrier bag because winding your window down and revving your engine is the international sign of I'd like my car to be fucked up with a hammer please.

Also no I can't hear your moaning about why don't you pay tax because I'm wearing headphones of +6 don't give a fuck about your issues just look where you are fucking going.

Also chap in the car behind you can fuck off as well because you didn't even look either you just blindly followed which is why you ended up standing in a junction looking like a dickhead trying to fight someone who had already ridden off, no I don't need your advice you fat useless lazy fuck.

Did someone leave the gate of an idiot farm open somewhere near me.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #21049 on: 01 September, 2020, 11:45:03 am »
Bisley, narrow roads involving oncoming traffic having to give way to traffic in the restriction as per the sign.

Dear Mrs Car Driver

Did you think driving into the restriction which had a bicycle in it past the sign that said give way to oncoming traffic would end well for you.

Yes I called you a fucking idiot, that's because if you think about it (not that you can which is part of the problem) you are, also I did threaten to reduce your car to bit's you can take home in a carrier bag because winding your window down and revving your engine is the international sign of I'd like my car to be fucked up with a hammer please.

Also no I can't hear your moaning about why don't you pay tax because I'm wearing headphones of +6 don't give a fuck about your issues just look where you are fucking going.

Also chap in the car behind you can fuck off as well because you didn't even look either you just blindly followed which is why you ended up standing in a junction looking like a dickhead trying to fight someone who had already ridden off, no I don't need your advice you fat useless lazy fuck.

Did someone leave the gate of an idiot farm open somewhere near me.
Sounds like the time I had cars driving at me through the roadworks as their light had gone green, so it didn't matter that I hadn't been able to get through yet they were going to go. I should have just stopped in the middle of the lane and waited for them to stop.

Roadworks light passing never allows for cyclists.

Eddington  127miles, 170km