Author Topic: An interesting essay on crashes with good visibility  (Read 5275 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: An interesting essay on crashes with good visibility
« Reply #25 on: 12 January, 2018, 03:07:03 pm »
Doing the whole low-gear-foot-down-reset-pedal routine on a bicycle seems like an excellent way of complying with the spirit of a stop sign, anyway.  The line's there for a reason, and as a vulnerable road user, it's you who it's likely to end badly for if you don't actually come to a stop.

rr

« Reply #26 on: 12 January, 2018, 03:15:09 pm »
I my youth, I used to try and trackstand on them.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 12 January, 2018, 03:16:59 pm »
Yes, sort of. Except the reason the Stop sign was put there for might only apply to car (lorry, bus, etc) drivers. I find in practice there are quite a few Stop signs where you get an excellent all-round view on a bike, and quite a few Give Ways where you have to stop because you can't see anything. In fact the junction in this thread is probably an example of one where the problem (A-pillar obscuration) just can't apply to bikes.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #28 on: 12 January, 2018, 03:21:34 pm »
But even without the A pillar, the intersecting path is not in the cyclist's forward field of vision and being on the major road, the cyclist with priority doesn't really anticipate the motorist's non-stop path.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 12 January, 2018, 03:57:47 pm »
Yes, that's the situation at the junction which started this thread. I'm talking about a junction where the cyclist is approaching on the minor road and has to stop or give way.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 12 January, 2018, 04:22:18 pm »
Yes, sort of. Except the reason the Stop sign was put there for might only apply to car (lorry, bus, etc) drivers. I find in practice there are quite a few Stop signs where you get an excellent all-round view on a bike, and quite a few Give Ways where you have to stop because you can't see anything. In fact the junction in this thread is probably an example of one where the problem (A-pillar obscuration) just can't apply to bikes.

That's true, although it depends on the bike.  Recumbents can put your eyeline further back from the stop line just like a car.  There's a junction near here with stop lines that you can roll over slowly on an upwrong, but you really do need to stop on a 'bent (or in a car).  Actually, the main risk as a cocky cyclist on this particular junction is the temptation to rely on hearing to determine that the junction's clear enough for a rolling approach.  I've encountered enough fast roadies and electric vehicles on that corner to know how unwise that is.

And just because they're not designed with bikes in mind doesn't mean you aren't supposed to obey them (see also: traffic lights).

I tend to work on the principle that obeying the stop lines makes you predictable, which is generally a good idea anyway.