Author Topic: Flags on St George's Day  (Read 5923 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Flags on St George's Day
« Reply #25 on: 30 April, 2018, 09:41:42 am »
There's a house a few streets away that has a flagpole in the garden and flies various appropriate flags at appropriate times. For the last week they've been flying a curious version of a St George. Curious because I've not seen anything exactly like it before; it has a miniature cross of St George in the hoist quadrant, within the big normal cross.
Could it have been a City of London flag (red sword in top left quadrant)?

On St George's day in Gravesend (where I was stranded on tour for a morning) there was a parade with a band, stilt walkers, a metal dragon and kids dressed up as St George in a sort of cardboard/tinfoil version of armour. The local council were organising it I think, and also handing out little flags.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 30 April, 2018, 10:46:20 am »
No sword, that was my first assumption too. No red hand either! It was a mini St George Cross inside a large one.

As for metal dragons, it would have been a good day to read Kenneth Grahame.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: St George's Day
« Reply #27 on: 30 April, 2018, 05:52:43 pm »
As I now refuse to wave the Union Flag other than for sporting / royal occasions due to its toxicity I thought I'd strap a St George's flag to my bike yesterday as I happen to think it's a day worth celebrating despite having been pretty much castigated

Curious.  For me the St George's flag is irreparably tainted with ballsports and nastier shades of nationalism, while the Union Flag is still acceptable in sufficiently international[1] contexts.

But then while I'm happy to think of myself as British, I don't really identify with Englishness.  *shrug*

I don't really know or care about saints.  I'm not sure what I'm missing out on...

[1] Flying one in the UK would be suspect unless accompanied by an assortment of other flags, but I'd be fine with sticking one on my pannier while touring abroad[2], and it's always pleasing to see one on a spacesuit.
[2] In practice it seems that a jersey with a .co.uk address on it is sufficient, and avoids the flaggy baggage.

There is actually a Patron Saint of Atheists!!!!!

Saint Otteran, and his story is crazy. Here is what they says about him. First there was this other Saint, named Saint Colomba who was exiled from Ireland in 563, he founded a monastery on Iona with several companions, one of whom was a monk named Otteran. Legend has it that Saint Colomba's numerous attempts to build a chapel on Iona were thwarted because the building he was trying to erect was myseriously destroyed every night. One night a voice told Saint Colomba that the chapel could not be completed until a man was buried alive in the foundation. Obliging soul that he was, Saint Otteran volunteered for the task and was buried aliveā€¦ and the chapel was completed.
Some time later, during a service, Saint Otteran, whom all had supposed to be long dead, pushed his head up out of the floor and informed the congregation that contrary to popular belief, there actually was neither a heaven nor a hell. Saint Colomba, aghast at this impertinent revelation, pushed Saint Otteran back into the ground and had him buried more securely beneath the chapel, where he remains to this day.

« Reply #28 on: 30 April, 2018, 06:00:01 pm »
I have no love for the NF or similar groups - but I'm quite happy to wave an England flag on appropriate occasions. It is not a racist/xenophobic symbol. (and neither is a shaved head). Same for the Union Flag.

IMHO, part of standing up to these twats is to stand by things like national flags; otherwise what next - stop speaking English cos so many racists do??

^ This

Now having dual British/Irish nationality as a post-Brexit insurance policy, I feel fine waving an Irish/English/British national flag as appropiate.

I proudly wear a version all year round - not because it combines right wing fanaticism with the toxicity of the Union flag, but as a Royal Naval veteran

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #29 on: 30 April, 2018, 06:34:19 pm »
No sword, that was my first assumption too. No red hand either! It was a mini St George Cross inside a large one.

The flag of Georgia has a Red Cross in each quadrant
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #30 on: 30 April, 2018, 07:12:15 pm »

The Naval ensign of Tonga perhaps.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #31 on: 30 April, 2018, 07:55:32 pm »

Closer to that than to Georgia, City of London, White Ensign. But with the vertical bar central and without the 'outlines' on the main cross.

« Reply #32 on: 30 April, 2018, 08:00:59 pm »
My Flag on the trike

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #33 on: 30 April, 2018, 09:17:15 pm »

Closer to that than to Georgia, City of London, White Ensign. But with the vertical bar central and without the 'outlines' on the main cross.

The flag company names upthread will make flags to any design you give them.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #34 on: 30 April, 2018, 09:24:43 pm »

The flag company names upthread will make flags to any design you give them.
I've read through the whole thread but couldn't find any company named. Good idea to have your own variant of a flag though, just to get people wondering!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #35 on: 30 April, 2018, 10:04:57 pm »

« Reply #36 on: 30 April, 2018, 10:08:27 pm »
Something approximating this, maybe?

Wikipedia suggests that this - as the ensign of the White Squadron from 1702-1707 - was one of the precursors of the White Ensign.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #37 on: 30 April, 2018, 11:41:01 pm »
I have no love for the NF or similar groups - but I'm quite happy to wave an England flag on appropriate occasions. It is not a racist/xenophobic symbol. (and neither is a shaved head). Same for the Union Flag.

IMHO, part of standing up to these twats is to stand by things like national flags; otherwise what next - stop speaking English cos so many racists do??
Agree the flag only become a symbol of nationalism if the rest of us surrender them to extremists.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #38 on: 01 May, 2018, 06:54:46 am »
This is NOT a case of  "Godwin's law" even if it does include Nazis

Reclaiming the Swastika.

There is a certain similarity how a traditional and widely used religious symbol became corrupted. In many places it is now abhorrent or banned due to being stolen by an extremist group

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #39 on: 12 July, 2018, 10:38:08 am »
Something approximating this, maybe?

Wikipedia suggests that this - as the ensign of the White Squadron from 1702-1707 - was one of the precursors of the White Ensign.
Only just seen this, more than two months late! Yes, that's what I saw. Thanks for finding it.

spindrift

« Reply #40 on: 12 July, 2018, 02:53:55 pm »
Welded a flag pole to the Ford Consul bonnet, only a six-footer, car failed the MOT.

Muslims have taken over this country without firing a shot.