Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 633355 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #4600 on: 10 December, 2017, 03:25:28 pm »
Apparently the skijumping in Titisee-Neustadt is being interrupted by rain.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4601 on: 10 December, 2017, 03:26:36 pm »
I have never seen brummies driving so carefully...

« Reply #4602 on: 10 December, 2017, 03:29:19 pm »
I did switch to the Ice Spikers and venture out, but the snow was too deep. It took longer to get togged up than I actually spent in the saddle.

Still snowing as dusk approaches.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4603 on: 10 December, 2017, 03:53:25 pm »
We had a dusting while out walkies now log fire on and awaiting the marvelous Peli to finish the roast she working on. Could nearly call this winter :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #4604 on: 10 December, 2017, 05:12:13 pm »
I expect the Danes will mock the Brits.

As they should.

This always ticks me off a bit, as does the related 'lol southern softies' stuff you get whenever there's unusual snowfall like this. I don't remember snow like this for what, five years or more? Of course we're not geared up for it.

« Reply #4605 on: 10 December, 2017, 05:23:27 pm »
3-4" here in Oxon.  Went for a local walk, came across a beamer driver being reminded why RWD is not so good in snow.

I drove a Ford Granada as a licenced Private Hire Vehicle for several years, no proble in snow as long as you 1. used common sense and 2. knew what you were doing (as in knew how to drive, try getting out of High Wycombe in a blizzard and you will know what I mean)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4606 on: 10 December, 2017, 05:26:03 pm »

As they should.

This always ticks me off a bit, as does the related 'lol southern softies' stuff you get whenever there's unusual snowfall like this. I don't remember snow like this for what, five years or more? Of course we're not geared up for it.
Exactly!   Pees me off as well when people start citing Nordic and Canadian preparedness.  Of  course they're prepared.  There's no question they need to be.
You want Ceredigion to invest in all that plant that will only be needed 2 or 3 times in 5 years?  You prepared to  pay the extra council tax to fund it?
Last year it would have sat in the depot unused as it never actually snowed.
Personally, I think they do a good job within a realistic budget.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

« Reply #4607 on: 10 December, 2017, 05:28:16 pm »

As they should.

It's the Daily Mail mentality. The same people who vote over and over to pay less taxes and for less services but can't believe the council won't grit their street. Like a third world country, innit. Yeah, we should have an entire fleet of snowploughs and gritters available 365 days a year, for the one day each year they might be necessary. Take a day off, the world won't end.

(and for the record, even in snow-prepared places, roads gets blocked, trains and flights get cancelled...)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4608 on: 10 December, 2017, 05:31:14 pm »
Not sure if this is the right thread :)

One of the best things about travelling when it snows in the UK is watching horrified foreigners realise quite how badly we cope. You can see them thinking ‘Leave the EU? You can’t even make it out of Tottenham Hale.’

https://twitter.com/AlistairBarrie/status/939839163532300288

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4609 on: 10 December, 2017, 06:10:12 pm »
Having audited Stansted airport, I know they keep, literally, shedloads of snow clearing equipment maintained throughout the year. It's generally a case of accumulating quicker than removal plus landing.

Two weeks ago Oslo did no better and I spent a night in the baggage hall.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #4610 on: 10 December, 2017, 06:31:07 pm »
Well, for airports it's possibly safety-critical so it makes a bit more sense.

Woolly: made oi laarf.

« Reply #4611 on: 10 December, 2017, 06:43:00 pm »
Non here at all :(

Watching the weather on TV it was like in inverted world in that everything below eh Humber was getting loads of snow and everything above wasn't.

Nothing here, either. :( Very cold, but no precipitation.

« Reply #4612 on: 10 December, 2017, 06:49:00 pm »
Snow was falling till about 2.30 pm in slough. It is melting away quite fast at the moment . I had a fun ride to the shops this morning .  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4613 on: 10 December, 2017, 08:03:28 pm »
I slept through it.  Looks like about an inch in E17, buses running on Larrington Towers Road and no car-crash-stylee Noises Off.  As SNOpocalypses go, this one's a bit of a Rubbish.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4614 on: 10 December, 2017, 08:43:09 pm »
Sunny in FurryBootToon today  :)

IMG_0207_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #4615 on: 10 December, 2017, 11:41:18 pm »
Mini-hatler chose today as his first go at competitive cyclo-cross. It was snowing quite a bit as he set off. Still, at least he stayed warm. I was bloody freezing standing around watching.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #4616 on: 11 December, 2017, 07:14:02 am »
Not sure if this is the right thread :)

One of the best things about travelling when it snows in the UK is watching horrified foreigners realise quite how badly we cope. You can see them thinking ‘Leave the EU? You can’t even make it out of Tottenham Hale.’

https://twitter.com/AlistairBarrie/status/939839163532300288

Why would anyone want to get "out of Tottenham Hale"? There's a Pizza Hut, a KFC,   a Gregs and Subway. (There's also Burger King, but you'll need a sleeping bag waiting to get ordered )

Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4617 on: 11 December, 2017, 07:21:46 am »
Why would anyone want to get "out of Tottenham Hale"? There's a Pizza Hut, a KFC,   a Gregs and Subway. (There's also Burger King, but you'll need a sleeping bag waiting to get ordered )

4 out of 5 of them being American and the other misspelt.  Just sayin'. ;)
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4618 on: 11 December, 2017, 08:44:35 am »
Roads are mostly quite usable in South Oxon (they were ploughing them yesterday, and probably all night  :thumbsup: )

However, it will be grey-n-chilly all day today, and -6'c overnight. I foresee quite a lot of ice on the roads  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4619 on: 11 December, 2017, 09:08:54 am »
Snowploughs: I'm pretty sure the snowploughs used in Poland, where they can be sure of getting regular use for at least three and usually four months a year, are not dedicated, single-purpose vehicles. They're just small trucks loaded with grit, a spreading attachment on the back and a blade (with rubber bottom) fitted on the front bumper. And it still leaves the problem of what to do with all the piled up snow. It also doesn't get rid of ice.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #4620 on: 11 December, 2017, 09:45:01 am »
In Connecticut, they'd fit ploughs to refuge trucks so they could empty the bins and clear the roads.

« Reply #4621 on: 11 December, 2017, 10:08:06 am »
One of the features I recall from New England was the number of pick-ups with plough (or plow) attachment points on the front. Used for clearing mall car parks etc. Also the frost heave and lack of cats eyes on I95.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #4622 on: 11 December, 2017, 10:27:20 am »
Cats aren't allowed in New England as they attract witches.

Yes, it's common for generic pickup trucks to be turned into ploughs. My apartment management did just that to clear the parking lots.

But unlike the UK, you're guaranteed some heavy snowfall throughout the winter so there's cause to be prepared. Even with that, they'd still regularly declare snow days (mostly to stop people rolling their top-heavy SUVs, I think).

« Reply #4623 on: 11 December, 2017, 10:48:01 am »
Well that was an interesting drive round the M25 this morning. J8-J5 was a constantly changing precipitation from wet sleet to fluffy flakes of SNOW. Driving was not fun and the roads were turning a slushy grey colour.

« Reply #4624 on: 11 December, 2017, 11:18:27 am »
My ride in was fine on the roads, but the cyclepaths were treacherous. My Ice Spikers are designed for, well, ice, not slush. Slush was what I endured for 3 miles; compacted slush too. I gave up and walked stretches until I got to bits with virgin snow which I could traverse a little quicker. My 27-minute ride took 65 minutes. I shall re-route on the way home.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.