Author Topic: Southend Cycle Town - part 2  (Read 237567 times)

Re: Southend Cycle Town - part 2
« Reply #275 on: 22 April, 2010, 10:17:07 am »
converting their pointless new cycle lane into parking spaces would be a simple matter of scrubbing out the bike pictures and scrubbing off the roadway parking markings.
Then you are back to a usable road.
So restoring what's already been done in Southend shouldn't cost too much.

Clandy

« Reply #276 on: 25 April, 2010, 12:31:49 pm »
I drafted a roadie from Shoebury up to the pier on Friday, not outrageously fast, we averaged perhaps 25mph. When we got to the new cycle path I stopped to switch on the helmet cam while he carried on. A few moments later I was accosted by an irate leisure cyclist raving about the 'madman' who just passed him further up the path. He was talking about how dangerously he was moving and that the council 'should put a speed limit' on the path… I tried explaining that since the narrowing of the road many cyclist feel forced to use the path, and that that includes people who are trying to get somewhere quickly and not just pootle along at walking speed.

If the path is causing this kind of friction between cyclists, come summertime its going to be a bloodbath between pedestrians, cyclists and drivers.

He pointed to the Moulton and said, 'Obviously I don't mean you would be going that fast on that…'  I was tempted, very tempted to take off flat out...

« Reply #277 on: 26 April, 2010, 03:30:34 pm »
I had a look at the path this morning from the Cliffs Pavillion. From that position I could see the new Traffic Separation Line, approx. 300mm from kerb into the cycle path, and the new cycle emblems painted on the path itself, every 100 metres and bike looks upright in the direction of travel. Even from the top of the cliffs it looks way too narrow!  :facepalm:

I also heard earlier that work has started on the Prittle Brook Greenway. They are going to close off sections to work on it and move on. Currently between Prittlewell Chase and Victoria Avenue, behind the old DSA test centre. Don't know how much they'll close of the section between Springfield Drive and Southbourne Grove though.

« Reply #278 on: 26 April, 2010, 06:34:29 pm »
Just had a pootle around the town, very unusual for me to do that, and took a couple of shots of the "in progress" Prittle Brook Greenway.
First of all you'll find the works currently here, Clicky. If you follow the path to the right you get to Victoria Avenue. Presumably you'll then get the usual Cyclists Dimount and have to walk across the road to get to the park or the cycle path to head south into town.

This shot looks NWish, Gainsborough Park on the right. Where the kids are is another section of the Greenway.

Now SEish and the disused DSA test centre to the right and the closed off path. Approx. two metres wide from fence to grass. AFAIK it's a shared path.

The Victoria Avenue entrance. By the look of things there will be block paving, like from where the other shots were taken or tactile paving, and probably tarmac between the entrances.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I rode the new section of seafront path from the ramp at Adventure Island all the way until the roadworks, just past Shorefield Ave, sent me onto the road again. It feels wonderfully wide going in the same direction as the road, east to west, but no way is wide enough for two opposing lanes! No problem overtaking a slower cyclist and the few peds, and skaters, didn't pose a problem either but I didn't get an eastbound cyclist to go head to head with.  It's quite lumpy and most of the drains are sunken!

The white line separating the motorised from the cycle path is just a slightly raised convex shaped line, possibly has anti slip grit embedded but I didn't stop to get a closer look. I'd imagine in the wet it'll be like ice!

Clandy

« Reply #279 on: 27 April, 2010, 12:27:51 pm »
This morning:

« Reply #280 on: 27 April, 2010, 12:46:11 pm »
I am not to sure what the approach is with cars/vans blocking the path.
Maybe a picture needs to be taken and emailed to the council to see how they intend to deal with the problem, and it is a problem imo.

Btw if you are around the hospital from 2-4pm today, Tuesday, there is free bike security tagging taking place by the old main entrance  :thumbsup:

Clandy

« Reply #281 on: 27 April, 2010, 12:53:56 pm »
Maybe a picture needs to be taken and emailed to the council to see how they intend to deal with the problem, and it is a problem imo.

I have done this many times in the past but nothing gets done. The council just say 'it's a parking issue' and the Parking Enforcement say, 'We can't do anything unless we catch them actually doing it…' If it was me I would install a barrier right along the kerb in front of Ocean Beach and the Activities Centre, and paint the cycle lane like a box junction. Perhaps we need somewhere online to post photographs every time the lane is blocked.

Btw if you are around the hospital from 2-4pm today, Tuesday, there is free bike security tagging taking place by the old main entrance  :thumbsup:

Got mine done last year at Chalkwell by the bowling greens. ;)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #282 on: 27 April, 2010, 01:08:57 pm »
Every morning at around 08:15, the council dust cart drives along the cycle path collecting refuse. If they can't prevent their own vehicles from driving in a cycle lane they've got no hope of stopping other people.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #283 on: 27 April, 2010, 01:47:09 pm »
We need a line of bikes spread across the front of the bar so the delivery has to walk a looong way to the door. That'll show 'em what a handcart is for!  :demon:

And stationary bikes dotted along the path for the refuse lorry to drive around.  :demon:

Clandy

« Reply #284 on: 27 April, 2010, 02:55:35 pm »
I sent the following email to Guardian Doors this morning:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to ask, is this how your company encourages its drivers to park? Your van in this picture is parked on double yellow lines and in a designated cycle lane. For your driver's information: double yellow lines are deemed to extend all the way to the pavement. This photograph was taken at 10.24am today, 27 April as the accompanying timestamped video shows, here: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lh7ncPRP9j8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Lh7ncPRP9j8&rel=1</a>

Yours etc.

and have now received the following reply:

Dear sir

We have spoken to our operative already and given him formal warning regarding this ridiculous parking.

I sincerely apologise for his actions. Being a cyclist myself I share your frustration with ignorant lazy  people such as this.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

R*** E******
General Manager

Good to see such a prompt reply and action on their part.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #285 on: 27 April, 2010, 02:57:24 pm »
Top marks to R*** E****** for his frank expression of his annoyance.  I hope he used even less temperate language in his discussion with the driver.
Getting there...

« Reply #286 on: 27 April, 2010, 03:49:21 pm »
Ahahahahahahaahaahaahaaaahaaaa!  What a quality response!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #287 on: 27 April, 2010, 04:05:41 pm »
Well done Clandy  :thumbsup:

spen666

« Reply #288 on: 27 April, 2010, 06:13:04 pm »

I have done this many times in the past but nothing gets done. The council just say 'it's a parking issue' and the Parking Enforcement say, 'We can't do anything unless we catch them actually doing it…' If it was me I would install a barrier right along the kerb in front of Ocean Beach and the Activities Centre, and paint the cycle lane like a box junction. Perhaps we need somewhere online to post photographs every time the lane is blocked.

What about emailing the companies in the same way people do re unacceptable drivinf?

Similarily also email the papers with the letters and photos

It needs a change of attitude to get this problem solved - a change on the part of motorists

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #289 on: 27 April, 2010, 10:23:13 pm »
Well done Clandy  :thumbsup:

+1. Top result (assuming the van isn't there tomorrow  ;D!)

« Reply #290 on: 28 April, 2010, 03:45:23 pm »
I've just sent the following off to my ward Councillors, the woman who runs the Southend Cycle Forum and the Road Safety department at SBC:

Dear Councillors,

As my current councillors for Victoria Ward, I'm writing to you regarding the driving of a Southend Borough Council employee.

I was cycling along London Road at around 11:30am this morning, approaching the traffic lights just west of the Palace Theatre:

Google Maps

and was overtaken very closely by a white van with the Southend Borough Council crest on the side and the vehicle registration number NY08 GHZ. The traffic lights (see picture at the link above) were red and it was therefore only a matter of seconds before I caught up with him.

I knocked on his window and said "You overtook too close - far too close." and got only a dismissive shake of the head in response.

Given that Southend is a Cycling Town and is trying to encourage more cyclists onto our roads, I would expect Council employees not only to drive with due care but also to be sufficiently courteous to other road users when challenged about their driving.

There is no reason at all for a driver to overtake a cyclist a matter of a few tens of metres from red traffic lights as they will gain nothing from doing so and they certainly shouldn't be overtaking when there is insufficient room to do so.

I trust that the driver concerned will be reminded of his duty of care to other road users and particularly rule 212 of the Highway Code:

"When passing motorcyclists and cyclists, give them plenty of room (see Rules 162-167). If they look over their shoulder it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so."

Road users requiring extra care (204-225) : Directgov - Travel and transport

I am a member of the Council's Cycle Forum and have copied this message to Sara Hadden of the Cycle Southend project and also to the Road Safety Education department via the SBC website.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

--
Denis Walker
Co-ordinator, South East Essex Friends of the Earth
http://www.seefoe.org.uk

FatBloke

« Reply #291 on: 29 April, 2010, 01:16:05 pm »
Every morning at around 08:15, the council dust cart drives along the cycle path collecting refuse. If they can't prevent their own vehicles from driving in a cycle lane they've got no hope of stopping other people.
I got a picture this morning, unfortunately it's on my phone and I know not how to get it from the phone to t'interweb. I have no cables. Anyone help?
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Clandy

« Reply #292 on: 29 April, 2010, 01:20:33 pm »
I got a picture this morning, unfortunately it's on my phone and I know not how to get it from the phone to t'interweb. I have no cables. Anyone help?

Can you Bluetooth it to your computer?

FatBloke

« Reply #293 on: 29 April, 2010, 01:29:34 pm »
At work, certainly not!

At home, maybe.

What's bluetooth?   ;D

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #294 on: 29 April, 2010, 02:09:49 pm »
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Clandy

« Reply #295 on: 29 April, 2010, 07:05:17 pm »
Yesterday:

« Reply #296 on: 29 April, 2010, 07:25:48 pm »
Seen the new cycle lane at Shoebury east beach  :hand:

« Reply #297 on: 29 April, 2010, 07:27:30 pm »
Yesterday:

Why couldnt he/she park in the central reservation ?
Looks like there is plenty of spaces  :-\

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #298 on: 30 April, 2010, 01:50:08 pm »
I went for a little spin along the seafront this morning to see how things are going with the new path on Western Esplanade.

The line painting wagon was there and they were repainting the parallel parking bays between adventure island and three shells.

The line next to the hashing is now a double width solid white line rather than the original dashed white line.

Video on Youtube

Have the council changed the marking because they care about cyclists and want to make it clear to drivers that they should park in the bay and not on the hash markings?

Or could it be that the council has realised they probably couldn't enforce any tickets they issued for parking on the hash marks when there was only a dashed line?

Call me a cynic if you like but I suspect that the changes are led by a potential loss of revenue from parking fines rather than careing for cyclists.
Never argue with an idot....
They just bring you down to their level
then win on experience.

2 Flat Erics You Tube Channel

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #299 on: 30 April, 2010, 02:10:17 pm »
Also on this mornings ride I took a look under the pier as that is where cyclists are to be directed when heading east.

The barriers have now gone so you can get under the pier again but so far nothing has been done.

Unless they get to work pretty quickly then the path is going to be oficially completed and open and unsuspecting cyclists will be faced with This.
Never argue with an idot....
They just bring you down to their level
then win on experience.

2 Flat Erics You Tube Channel