Author Topic: Severn Across 400 - May 11  (Read 13100 times)

Re: Severn Across 400 - May 11
« Reply #125 on: 14 May, 2013, 11:56:19 am »
lessons learnt by me
  • More hill training
  • Less faffing
  • more food and drink on the ride
  • better bonk rations
  • (very specific) Don't drop your light down the window well of the Blenheim tea rooms

yes, we've learnt some of those lessons on our 300s, I've been feeling much stronger on hills but walked plenty on this one, I just could not do them after the first 170km, faffing? needs to be kept under control but I for one at least do like a short stop now and then, it really recuperates me mentally and physically, and on a ride of that length I think it's important to ride within your capabilities, without of course faffing

yes, this is the big new lesson learnt for us, to eat and drink little and often, as everyone says, to really concentrate on that, it really makes a difference and smoothes out fatigue, bonk rations? yes i carry them but eating and drinking prevents that i think

« Reply #126 on: 14 May, 2013, 12:25:46 pm »
chalfont

32.4kph average (fresh legs, mild headwind, rode with Simon B)

woodstock - 8min stop (hi to mattc, fill water bottle, snack)

Woodstock is 72km in so the control opened at 8.24am.

You would have got there, by my calculation, at 8.13am and with an 8 minute stop you'd have left by 8.21am, call it 8.22am to avoid rounding problems; so except to have 2 or 3 minutes added on to your finish time.

On a more serious note, it shows just how much stopping at controls can be kept to a minimum. I tend to stop for ~5 hours on a 400.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #127 on: 14 May, 2013, 01:35:04 pm »
chalfont

32.4kph average (fresh legs, mild headwind, rode with Simon B)

woodstock - 8min stop (hi to mattc, fill water bottle, snack)

Woodstock is 72km in so the control opened at 8.24am.

You would have got there, by my calculation, at 8.13am and with an 8 minute stop you'd have left by 8.21am, call it 8.22am to avoid rounding problems; so except to have 2 or 3 minutes added on to your finish time.

On a more serious note, it shows just how much stopping at controls can be kept to a minimum. I tend to stop for ~5 hours on a 400.

:) good calculations Greenbank, but everything was according to the rules aiui. i set off 6:01am and spent another minute or so waiting at couple of traffic lights on the way to woodstock. yes, we reached the first control just before it opened, but mattc ensured we hadn't left too soon :thumbsup:

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #128 on: 14 May, 2013, 03:42:27 pm »
The start...

Woodstock control...

Tewkesbury control...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #129 on: 14 May, 2013, 03:45:03 pm »
Good work on the tandem there - glad you made it home on your ECE despite some knee issues etc.

Look forward to seeing the new machine on LEL!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #130 on: 14 May, 2013, 05:17:01 pm »
Good work on the tandem there - glad you made it home on your ECE despite some knee issues etc.

Look forward to seeing the new machine on LEL!
I bought a new bike for audaxing and LEL because I'm slow on my Super Galaxy, but you guys bomb along on your SG tandem! what's the new one gonna be like? My friends have an old tandem, but bought a Dolan frame months ago. We're wondering if we'll ever see it on the road!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Phil W

« Reply #131 on: 14 May, 2013, 07:01:30 pm »
Depends what you're after. To me the 400 was a good day (and night) out, passing through fantastic scenery. The stops are part of that day out.  I like a good scoff now and again.  I also like taking a few pics, and probably spent 20 mins or so just asking pics from the Severn Crossing bridge. I also took some around Symonds Yat.

As long as I'm not pushing time limits, and have time for my stops, I'm more than happy.  I'm also noting that my moving average, and percentage time stopped are not changing much from 100,200,300, to 400 which is a good indicator I'm getting it right (for me). Got my first 600 in 3 weeks, so well see how the stats work out then.

Besides, after my red bull around midnight, I was wired for the section through the Chilterns and I quite enjoyed that. There was something reassuring seeing places I'm familiar with and realising barring anything major I was going to complete my first 400 in good form.

« Reply #132 on: 15 May, 2013, 10:28:08 am »
This was my first 400 and overall I had a great time (I say overall as there was that low point at 1am after the Membury services when I was falling asleep on the bike going through the lanes to Chalfont) :)

Thanks to Liam and co for great route, controls and feeding us at the end. I was pretty tired when we got back at 5.45am but the cheese toastie and a 20 min kip sorted me out. Felt quite good on the ride home to Edgware so decided to join the Gregarios club run and did another 80k   ;D

Nice to meet you 321up, good work on the tandem! I'm the guy in your third photo on the right in the shadows, waiting for my lost tuna toastie.

Here's a photo I took when my mate Phil and I crossed the Severn Bridge...

« Reply #133 on: 15 May, 2013, 12:55:51 pm »
Phew! My first 400. Thanks LiamFitz and marcusjb for the tea and beans on toast at the end  ;D
Along the chill green slope that dips and heaves
The road runs rough and silent
 - Archibald Lampman

« Reply #134 on: 15 May, 2013, 01:02:08 pm »
Depends what you're after. To me the 400 was a good day (and night) out, passing through fantastic scenery. The stops are part of that day out.  I like a good scoff now and again.  I also like taking a few pics, and probably spent 20 mins or so just asking pics from the Severn Crossing bridge. I also took some around Symonds Yat.

As long as I'm not pushing time limits, and have time for my stops, I'm more than happy.  I'm also noting that my moving average, and percentage time stopped are not changing much from 100,200,300, to 400 which is a good indicator I'm getting it right (for me). Got my first 600 in 3 weeks, so well see how the stats work out then.

Besides, after my red bull around midnight, I was wired for the section through the Chilterns and I quite enjoyed that. There was something reassuring seeing places I'm familiar with and realising barring anything major I was going to complete my first 400 in good form.
As we stood there watching you eat your crisps (thanks for offering) and down your Red Bull, I wwondered when it would give you wings!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #135 on: 15 May, 2013, 08:05:55 pm »

« Reply #136 on: 15 May, 2013, 09:40:50 pm »
I rode with another Simon (simon p?) on the way to Chepstow and back. Your Simon had the blue and yellow slapwraps I commented on seeing on another Audax? If it was, you were good company (until your comfort stop on the Upper Swell road).

I have a see through (good for race numbers) race cape which would have been useless in those downpours, a yellow Altura not-so waterproof now coat, which is breathable and ok in showers, and the big blue commuter Polaris, which came on and off so many times I lost count. If I learnt not to carry so many bonk rations, the coat size probably wouldn't matter!

I'm the Simon that followed cycled with you from near Chepstow and back. Thanks for the company!  Not sure if I'd unlearn carrying plenty of bonk rations - you just never know when you need them - also the calories help keep you warm too. 

Agree with the consensus posted here - it was a great ride - fabulous scenery and superb organisation - thanks to Liam and Marcus for the food and looking after at the beginning and esp. at the end. 

Now, I need to prepare/panic for the Kernow + SW 600.  I think I need a new saddle as my Brooks is sagging and the bolt is near the end... but first I still have to clean the poor bike!

Phil W

« Reply #137 on: 15 May, 2013, 10:12:45 pm »
Now, I need to prepare/panic for the Kernow + SW 600.  I think I need a new saddle as my Brooks is sagging and the bolt is near the end... but first I still have to clean the poor bike!

See you there, I've bought a new pump now and it's firmly in the saddlebag, together with the arm warmers I was missing on the Sat.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #138 on: 07 June, 2013, 07:08:11 pm »
received the validated card today; nice handwriting on the envelope! :)

« Reply #139 on: 09 June, 2013, 08:06:10 am »
received the validated card today; nice handwriting on the envelope! :)

Printer issues meant I had to enlist my daughter's help...in the midst of A Levels it was a mitzvah!