Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3938805 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #19700 on: 09 March, 2016, 04:42:45 pm »
A great start for the plan!  No points, no medals, almost no distance but stupid stuff for the sake of it.  Cycling is great!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #19701 on: 09 March, 2016, 05:19:31 pm »
For once I can say 'Yes!' Firts time on a bike in 8 months...

And here's me bouncing at my first ride in 2 months. Must be sheer heaven after 8.  Congrats!

Anyway, similar sort of toddle for me, 27k on a beautiful afternoon, 7°C with a bit of a west wind, lovely.  Coffee (lousy but what the hell) at ½way, a couple of decent climbs and not a wamble from my heart.

Clamped an SJ4000 on the bars to see what the quality would be like: not great, a lot of vibration so landscapes made of jelly prevail.  Will try it on hat or chest harness next.

It handled the exposure pretty well, though, even riding into the sun. Pleased about that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #19702 on: 09 March, 2016, 08:50:59 pm »
8 months??? Jeeeeeeeez that's torture.

Leaving Urmston I decided to take the long way home today. Wish I hadn't. For some reason the chain was going floppy every time I tried coasting and a few times it near took out the back wheel.
Through Irlam Locks to Glazebrook then Glazebury, Leigh, Atherton and finally back in Bolton.
Lots of muppits and arrogant t3ats and I even called a van driver a f***ing w****r after he overtook me then braked like a ba5tard for his delivery. It's bad enough going up a hill with a 40 ton truck behind me trying to get past without eejits like that.
I discovered on getting home and dry that the reason for the droopy chain was the spacer between the freehub and the hub had shattered and all the bits were twirling around and around and grinding my hub to bits. So that's the bike off the road. Again.
I'm getting the distinct impression that this bike doesn't like me very much.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

« Reply #19703 on: 09 March, 2016, 10:50:08 pm »
For once I can say 'Yes!' First time on a bike in 8 months. Despite the weather being crap Uncle Peter and I had arranged a short pootle up the Rochdale Canal to Hollingworth Lake. Conditions were far from ideal, the rain continuous and temperatures quite low but I need to get fit and we had committed to going out*.

Score for the day was around 12km, two bowls of tomato soup, two americanos, one visitation and a canal bridge where nothing almost happened. Wet gear is drying, better gloves and trousers need to be obtained. It's a first step towards building enough endurance to do the French tour.

*Going out on a weekday involves covering the shop & is therefore a rather expensive way to go cycling. Having said that a day off is almost priceless...

If the weather was anything like Darlo's, you couldn't have picked a worse day  :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #19704 on: 09 March, 2016, 11:14:03 pm »
Reminded me of Marvin. 'So this is the sort of thing you life forms do for enjoyment? I ask merely for information . . .'
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #19705 on: 11 March, 2016, 05:21:14 pm »
My bike's working again! Woohoo!

Setting off just after 11 this morning into gorgeous sunshine I'd planned on just going to Haigh Hall and home again. No real energy today. But, on passing through Wigan Golf Course, I decided to jump onto the L&L and pootled along up to Limbrick. Had a chat with some gentleman who'd remarked on how nice the bike was  ;D
From there I went up Back Lane (how many lanes are named "Back Lane" in this country??? There seems to be loads!) to Rivington and then I climbed up Sheep House Lane. I might have even hit 4mph at one point. Halfway up my glucose levels plummeted (Booo) and had to sit on my rear end at a disused farm and chomped through some of the contents of my 'Anti-Hypo-Stash' pocket on the Pendle. When I felt better I decided that the rest of the ride could be done in mitts. It just so happens that I keep a pair in the same Pendle. You never know!
Onto Belmont Road for a bit before taking Scout Road back into the moors and down through Moss Bank Park and Heaton Cemetery to home.
Only one crap pass during the whole 29 mile ride :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #19706 on: 12 March, 2016, 08:08:00 am »
Going to the Lion Inn at Blakey Ridge today. First of the season (I leave winter biking to tough people). I wasn't expecting to be so excited, but here I am posting on YACF at 0800 on a Saturday morning having alread fed the dogs, eaten breakfast and made tea for Mrs Morat.
It's a sickness!
Hope I make it....

http://www.lionblakey.co.uk For those unfortunate enough to live outside God's County  ;)
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #19707 on: 12 March, 2016, 09:44:49 am »
We have History with the Lion Inn and Blakey Ridge.
It might be easier if I were to need to visit Mr Smith in James Cook these days, but that doesn't mean I want to have to do it.

essexian

« Reply #19708 on: 12 March, 2016, 11:13:55 am »
A quick hours worth up the "hills" around Stafford, ruined again by the same horse rider who ruined a ride a few weeks back: If your horse doesn't like bikes, that isn't my fault! I stopped, waited to be told it is okay to pass and give loads of room as I should. So, no I don't deserve a mouthful of abuse I received.

Think I will avoid the area for a time as being abused is not what I cycle for.... I can get that at home!

Apart from that, I managed to get up our main two hills in my best time ever, so that was pleasing.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #19709 on: 12 March, 2016, 08:18:50 pm »
It might be easier if I were to need to visit Mr Smith in James Cook these days, but that doesn't mean I want to have to do it.

Good History or bad history? I'm not sure from your post. I hope it's good!

I made it, 55 miles. It was perhaps, a little early in the season (I was knackered) but I feel better for a good blast :)
Everyone's favourite windbreak

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #19710 on: 12 March, 2016, 08:19:15 pm »
Headed up the lanes in the fog to Pangbourne, across to Wantage and the spring line road to Bishopstone and Fox Hill, although the Fox Inn has been the Burj for quite some time now.  Then down in Aldbourne and up Spring Hill out of Ramsbury - 60m up in 400m - perhaps they should cobble it for added effect.  There was just a tad of a headwind but by that stage I needed more than a tad of tailwind.  Dragged over to Oxenwood and past the beautiful Fosbury Church.  Detoured from Whitchurch via Micheldever Station to ensure the imperial century was done.

No rest for the wicked.  Had to cook lunch, prune buddleias, and then cook dinner, in order to repay brownie points, however, managed to time breaks to see Steve Cummings take a great stage win in Tirreno Adriatico, Geraint Thomas take the yellow jersey in Paris-Nice and the pointy end of the England Wales game.   
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #19711 on: 12 March, 2016, 08:43:56 pm »
74km from downtown Atlanta to Stone Mountain and back, with a diversion to Victoria Highland for beer. 25º+ and a very pleasant day out.

« Reply #19712 on: 12 March, 2016, 09:25:15 pm »
2ND ride this year..^_^ (and out tomorrow) if the legs allow :laugh: a very steady ride to GT Ayton with my mate Walter(82) and still getting out :thumbsup:past this little gem on the outskirts of Sadberge looked cute .....56 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/515232751

« Reply #19713 on: 12 March, 2016, 10:08:18 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Nice to have you back, loafer, and good to hear Walter's still riding. How's he keeping?

« Reply #19714 on: 12 March, 2016, 10:10:06 pm »

Good History or bad history? I'm not sure from your post. I hope it's good!

I made it, 55 miles. It was perhaps, a little early in the season (I was knackered) but I feel better for a good blast :)

Good? Well, probably...

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=81776.0

« Reply #19715 on: 12 March, 2016, 11:02:56 pm »
I have been out myself, wee ride down to Richmond and then a perm version of Dave's Doable Dales Tour (I think it's called) with the man himself and a couple of others, mostly not on here apart from occasional visitor ramcityrocker.

It's an excellent route, not brutal for the Dales, apart from the tough bits, which were mainly Fleet Moss and Lofthouse, with a side order of Greenhow Hill and Hartington Rakes. Decent weather and a good day out. One lad rode down from Houghton-le-Spring, but hopefully he's back home by now ::-)

It was a different world up on Fleet Moss, where the snow from last week hasn't really melted yet, though the road was clear.

The rest of the photos are (or will be) here

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #19716 on: 13 March, 2016, 07:07:20 am »
Rode my Velomobile 200km from Dronten NL to Kempen.

My legs weren't good so it was a real struggle for me, particularly the last 85km. But I made it!!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #19717 on: 13 March, 2016, 07:41:43 am »
I had to go to Marj's to play plumber so to continue to try and reacquaint myself with gravity went via Macclesfield and the Winking Man then an extra bit to Croxden Abbey for a metric century. Couple of pics

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #19718 on: 13 March, 2016, 08:07:18 am »
Weather was cool and dry, but misty yesterday bright enough for a quick 32km blast to Welney and back, middle ring all the way spinning the legs. Average cadence was about 98. Had me thinking about a single speed.

Hadn't realised there was a slight, but useful tailwind on the way out until I turned for home.  Good coffee, no cake today on so short a ride, but theirs is good.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #19719 on: 13 March, 2016, 03:24:16 pm »
Finally managed to get out for a 25 mile loop after being ill for a fortnight. Sunny but cold northerly. Internal plumbing still not 100%, but good to be out in the sunshine.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #19720 on: 13 March, 2016, 04:23:53 pm »
First time out since last August. Did approx 25 easy miles with the bulk of the climbing on the C2C to ease me back into riding. Everything hurts now.
Beautiful day though with plenty of sunshine, light winds and some good creature features including lapwings, skylarks and an owl (didn't spot which brand it was though).
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19721 on: 13 March, 2016, 05:34:13 pm »
Yes.  No thanks to  a) neck[1]  b) knees[2]  or  c) lungs[3].

Nevertheless, cloudless[4] sky, relatively little wind, and it's officially get-your-bike-out-of-the-shed day.  Countless pavement-cycling teenagers, families failing to keep up with each other in the lanes, littl'uns bikes being loaded in and out of cars on the roads around Cannon Hill Park, the usual roadies, and bonus points to the very overweight woman trundling on a Pashley trike.   :thumbsup:

Motorists were shouty, but mostly in a good-natured way.

[1] I sneezed, something crunched, now it hurts to turn my head.
[2] Still suffering from Wednesday's train abuse.
[3] Air quality, what's that?
[4] Other than the bit where something went badly wrong with a motor vehicle at the traffic lights.  Looked like a head gasket, smelled like tyres.  Vehicle continued under its own power, so presumably the latter.

essexian

« Reply #19722 on: 13 March, 2016, 05:38:35 pm »
As I couldn't find a reasonable excuse for not doing it and with CBH pointing to a long list of DIY tasks I have agreed to do during my holiday at the end of the month, I dragged myself over to Newport Shropshire to do the Nova Raiders reliability ride.

Now this ride comes in two flavours: a 51 miler and a 30 mile effort. Being rather fat still and having done only two rides over 25 miles this year, I chose the shorter of the two and for three quid was provided with a map, a cup of coffee and promise of cake when I returned. Thankfully, they didn't have any cut off times (although we were asked to use the rear door of the pub when we returned as we would be smelly....) so off I went with the "slow" group with a schedule of 2 hours 15 in mind.

When I say the slow group, as I feared would happen, I got dropped at the first climb, although according to Strava, I wasn't the slowest up there today which makes me rather pleased. Chasing on to try and return to the group saw me cover the next five miles at over 17 mph which for me is really flying and I just about made it... before we came across the next slope and once again, out the back I went. There was no coming back from that so it was no surprise that according to our friends at Strava, I was some 8 minutes behind the slow group when arriving at the turn for Stoke upon Tern having done the first 15 miles in just over an hour which for me is really impressive.

However, the next seven miles was hell. Not only was it uphill almost all the way to Cheswardine (okay, its a gentle slope, the worse type IMHO), but the road surface was horrible and grippy and there was a headwind...and and and...you get the picture: I hated these seven miles more than I hate a lot of things. I was pleased to turn for home at Cheswardine with most of the return leg being downhill apart from one climb where of course the fast boy's and girls in the 21 mph group who were doing the 51 mile route caught me. Sorry for the rude words but in an effort to move out of the way to give us all a chance to get up the hill I managed to put my back wheel onto some mud and almost lost it. I didn't fancy going down: not that I ever like falling off!

The roads were shared about three miles from Newport with some runners who seemed to be doing some quite epic run: I went by a marker showing "20". Now I am not sure if that's miles or KM but whatever, it's quite an epic distance to run....perhaps if they worked harder they could afford to buy a bike.......? (joking. I can't run to the end of my drive let alone that sort of distance so well done to you all).

So, almost home, why is it then that I get the closest pass of the day by some twat in a 4x4 who just couldn't be arsed to give me a few feet of room. I did try to chase him down, but by then my legs were willing but just not capable of it. Finally, back to the car park to find that my total distance was 29.91 miles, so once around the car park to click the counter over to 30 miles  ;D

Sadly I didn't make my target time of 2 hours 15 by a whole 4 minutes. I am still pleased with that however. Looking back, I doubt I would try to chase down the "slow" group next time so try to arrive at the turn at Stoke on Tern with a little left in my legs. Overall, a well arranged, friendly ride which I am pleased I did.

« Reply #19723 on: 13 March, 2016, 07:07:25 pm »
I rode to Windsor leisure centre for a swim . 7 miles  :). Cold  NE breeze today but nice sunshine .
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #19724 on: 16 March, 2016, 06:52:45 pm »
Helen and I explored Heaton Park (the largest municipal park in Europe).
Despite it being on our doorsteps, neither of us had done more than go to the core "attractions".
Today we covered most of the park including, excitingly, the highest point in the City of MCR.
Discoveries over, we went to the cafe near the animal centre and had an OK sausage and egg sandwich (me) and a very good egg mayonnaise sandwich (Helen). My decaf latte was also OK, Helen's latte not so; she took it back and got another shot put in it.

After our cycling exploits, we walked through Springwater Park to Radcliffe and back. The evidence of the recent Irwell floods is still there; plastic bags caught in tree branches an unfeasible height above the river. We also managed to get to the point where the Irwell and the Roch meet.
After that it was time for a pint: Holt's bitter for Helen and Two Hoots (also Holt's) for me. Nice.
Our cycling was about 11 miles, not sure about the walking.
It was a lovely day.