Author Topic: QR skewers - what do folks trust?  (Read 3213 times)

QR skewers - what do folks trust?
« on: 14 April, 2017, 04:33:30 pm »
I am hopefully changing wheelset this year and will go over to hollow axles - been looking for some bolt up skewers rather than use QR, but dont trust the allow nuts on the ones I have seen so far

anyone with good experience of skewers?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: QR skewers - what do folks trust?
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2017, 04:49:25 pm »
Shimano make good ones.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2017, 06:45:42 pm »
What's your reason for not using QR skewers? I have used over the years many sorts of QRs, Shimano, Campagnolo, and many others, on the tandem and on solos, and never had any failure. Am I just plainly lucky?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2017, 08:35:34 am »
^^^Pretty well my view as well. If it's got a floppy lever at one end and a twiddly nut at the other I'll use it.

But then, almost all of mine are Shimano.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2017, 09:01:08 am »
If you can find/get the original type of Campagnolo qr, the internal cam sort, Rhee outshine everything since in my view.

« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2017, 09:07:13 am »
Cannot remember when I had my first Shimano qr and I have never had one fail.   Also, look for a cranked lever so you can position it alongside the fork blade or chainstay when  closed.  Much neater solution than the inline ones.

« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2017, 09:30:31 am »
Likewise, never had one fail on either of our tandems.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2017, 10:58:06 am »
Cannot remember when I had my first Shimano qr and I have never had one fail.   Also, look for a cranked lever so you can position it alongside the fork blade or chainstay when  closed.  Much neater solution than the inline ones.

Works better in turbo trainers, too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8 on: 15 April, 2017, 03:44:53 pm »
The external cam ones are generally pretty bad - crud tends to build up on the cam and makes it very stiff, so you think you are getting the QR really tight when in fact you are not.  Internal cams are much better.  The Mavic ones are very good, although they don't have a cranked lever.  Royce make some superb ones (basically a Campag copy, but in stainless steel)  Cranked lever, highly polished, work really well.  Then you look at the cost of them... but you will never need to buy new ones.

« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2017, 08:10:05 pm »
I've just bought a Hope QR. It 'feels' and looks high quality. Nice little serrated teeth that bite well and the lever is curved so it goes neatly round the mudguard stay bolt. Only about 80km on the clock so early days but I like it so far.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2017, 09:19:19 pm »
The important thing is that it not have an external cam.  Shimano XT ones are good.
Most of my skewers are hex key or security types, thobut.