Author Topic: E-readers?  (Read 4792 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: E-readers?
« Reply #25 on: 08 August, 2017, 03:24:28 pm »
Missed that, thanks. Shame its not on Android too. Don't tend to use my laptop much these days. Only work one but that's not for personal stuff.

You only need calibre to do format conversions thobut, not for reading.

« Reply #26 on: 08 August, 2017, 03:44:27 pm »
Thanks, will look again.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #27 on: 08 August, 2017, 03:56:24 pm »
There are also Android apps for conversion.  I haven't tried any myself to check if they work.

eg.  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.studio.b8word.ebooker&hl=en_GB
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #28 on: 08 August, 2017, 04:56:53 pm »
You can just email files to your Kindle, and it should automatically convert them. Though this may be limited in what formats it supports - seems it works for PDF, but not EPUB.

« Reply #29 on: 08 August, 2017, 09:00:50 pm »
I use various apps on a Nexus 7 - mostly Kobo and Kindle. As above, I prefer Kobo because the format is open, more than for the features. I'm going to try FBReader on Kim's recommendation.

« Reply #30 on: 08 August, 2017, 09:28:27 pm »
Just found my old kindle. No charge but it seems to be playing nice right now. Think I'll play with it for awhile.

I have one question, I've had kindle app on so many devices over the years that are not sure if I've got one or two accounts. Is that possible and how can you check? I don't think I have but little things like being convinced I had to buy certain ebooks twice and now I've only got two Tolkien books on my phone kindle.app but the kindle has Tolkiens son's editing of his work in unfinished tales. The phone app doesn't.

Can you find out if there are two accounts? Can you have missing books in the kindle system? What I.mean is some books get archived off your device?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #31 on: 08 August, 2017, 10:26:05 pm »
It could be complicated if you've more than one Amazon account.  Anyway, log in to the Amazon website and see Your Account - Manage Your Content and Devices.  You'll be able to re-download purchased books.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #32 on: 08 August, 2017, 10:29:20 pm »
you can check on your amazon account under content & devices then your devices.

« Reply #33 on: 09 August, 2017, 11:44:21 pm »
Functionally, all e-ink readers are very similar. Most are touchscreen, so the main choice is backlit or not.
Lighting is well worth while - when I had an unilluminated e-reader (a Sony), I really only used it when I had to, but when I got a Paperwhite, I used it in preference to paper (assuming suitable books).
If you can't cope with tapping on the screen to change page, buttons are still available as well on some more costly models (Kindle Voyage & Oasis).

Practically speaking, it's a choice between Kindle or Kobo since Nook pulled out of the UK, semi-stranding their users.

If you are likely to take the reader out & about, budget for a cover. A proper cover like the official ones, with a close-fitting shell, and magnets to hold the lid shut and turn it off. The cheap covers with elastic over the corners are rubbish.

Kobo Aura and Kindle Paperwhite are much the same, other than UI differences that you'd just get used to.
Kobo do a waterproof model, and an extra large 7.8" model (vs the normal 6")
Kindle do a model with a battery case that supposedly allows longer away from power sources*, at fairly minimal extra overall weight, though user reports are less enthusiastic.
Kindle do a cheap & basic non-illuminated model
* I find (Paperwhite) that I charge every 3 or 4 books (what would be normal paperbacks).

Kobo won't read Kindle format e-books from Amazon; Kindle won't read ePub books from other sellers.
It's easiest to convert ebooks between formats in Calibre (Windows, MacOS or Linux; no Android version).
The problem is that you can't convert an ebook that's got DRM (i.e. it's encrypted), so you've either got to remove the DRM or restrict yourself to non-DRM ebooks (eg out of copyright from Gutenberg etc, or some more enlightened publishers).
Google is your friend here. I followed apprentice alf's instructions, and now have my Calibre set up to automatically remove the DRM from any Kindle AZW file I import into it. I've found the Kindle store to be much more usable than the other stores I've looked at, so I've never seriously looked at stripping the DRM from Adobe Digital Editions ePubs.

A gotcha is that Amazon have lately introduced a new KFX format that nobody seems to have cracked yet, so rather than letting the Kindle download it over wifi, then connecting the Kindle to the laptop by USB, and adding the books into Calibre from the Kindle, I have to go to "Manage Your Content and Devices" on my Amazon account page, click on the button to the left of the book, select "Download & transfer via USB" (which gives an AZW file), then add to book into Calibre from my download folder.
You don't actually need a working Kindle to do this; a dead Kindle will be OK, so long as it was registered to your Amazon account when it did work. You need the Kindle's serial number to set up the DRM removal, but that's also on "Manage Your Content and Devices".

« Reply #34 on: 10 August, 2017, 06:27:02 am »
I use the Oasis as it was lighter and seemed a better battery life.

However whilst the unit lived up to expectations, there is work to be done on the battery use.

The problem is that you care the case, which then charges the Kindle. You get warnings when the case gets low, however the Kindle itself is fully charged, so the warning is irrelevant to assessing actual remaining usage

Rather inconvenient as you end up charging more often than you did with the Paperwhite or voyage

« Reply #35 on: 10 August, 2017, 12:03:04 pm »
Well my old kindle touch is working properly this time around. I can turn on, lock and turn off. Previously the turning off didn't work. That means I can use it again which saves at least £60. Plus it doesn't have the ads on it. Not happy.about that. Ads or an extra £10 charge. A con I don't like.

So I've synced it at home, but tried to buy a book at work. I tried tethering to my phone. Anyone know if you can tether to a phone through wifi tethering? Is that available in newer readers but the kindle 2 or kindle touch is too old for that.compatibility to work? It can detect the phone's connection in the scan but doesn't recognise the password. The password is right, I've checked countless times. Any ideas?

« Reply #36 on: 10 August, 2017, 12:24:53 pm »
I've had issues tethering to my mobile in the past but it was to do with the type of network & the kindle gave an error along the line of it's not a corporate network. I think yours might be down to the type of security set on the phone's hotspot.

« Reply #37 on: 10 August, 2017, 12:56:15 pm »
The kindle does say to change the settings on the phone (IIRC it called it router). Not sure what is needed because every other device has connected first attempt without fail.

« Reply #38 on: 10 August, 2017, 01:02:20 pm »
Plus it doesn't have the ads on it. Not happy.about that. Ads or an extra £10 charge. A con I don't like.

Sigh, it's not a con it's not £10 extra for no ads its a £10 discount if you are prepared to put up with ads.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #39 on: 10 August, 2017, 01:30:06 pm »
If that's how you want to see it. I see things the other way having owned a kindle before they started that trick. You bought the device and bought the books. No ads wanted nor given. Now you buy the kindle at the same price point as before but you get the ads that TBH isn't for the benefit of the user. If you want to cancel you can't unless you over pay by £10. To me that's a con. Make it a cost neutral opt in/out thing or charge less than the usual price to have it, not more.

Of course it's a matter of personal opinion which view on this you take.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #40 on: 10 August, 2017, 02:09:09 pm »
I had a nook until it died and I liked it. Now I have a kobo, and I like it. I particularly like that I can easily borrow library e-books on it, because I am tight.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.