Author Topic: [LEL17] The rogue Italian  (Read 10003 times)

Re: The rogue Italian
« Reply #25 on: 11 August, 2017, 05:39:10 pm »
I had stupidly close pass from an Italian registered chaussone on Wednesday. Maybe it's just what they do  :demon:/color]

The Italians do like their motorhomes on LEL.  Perhaps something to do with them changing kit multiple times a day so they are always immaculate  ;)
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #26 on: 11 August, 2017, 05:58:02 pm »
Perhaps something to do with them changing kit multiple times a day so they are always immaculate  ;)

There was an Italian lady in 2013, Sylvie chatted a lot with her. She took a shower at every control. Not every night, I said every control!

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
« Reply #27 on: 11 August, 2017, 07:36:26 pm »
Did anybody else see the rogue Italian rider?

He turned up at Pocklington coming Southbound, fairly early on in during a quiet period. Spoke no English, and was trying to pay for everything.

We thought he'd lost his bevet card and was confused, he was very cold, so some volunteers got him some food (which he tried to pay for, we thought he was confusing us with PBP) and a hot drink, sat him down and tried to get his rider number off him so we could look him up on the system. He ate, and was still eating when our Italian speaking volunteer came and got the story out of him.

He'd booked his flights for him and his family before the event, but hadn't been able to get an entry. So he'd turned up to ride it anyway. From what we worked out, he'd been into quite a few of the controls, but I can't say that for certain. Our Italian speaking volunteer thinks she saw him coming through Northbound.

Cheeky bugger.

So what happened after you'd prised his tale of decept from him ?
I hope you removed the stolen food & blanket and frog marched him and his bike back to the public highway. I like to imagine you also threw his shoes in a hedge and let his tyres down on the way....but you're probably more mature than me in these situations !!

I want to blame this freeloading fukwit for all the minutes I lost queing at controls for toilets/beds/water/stamps etc, and for any restrictions on food availability me or any other legit riders faced during the event.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #29 on: 16 August, 2017, 07:14:15 am »
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #30 on: 16 August, 2017, 09:04:47 am »
there was another stowaway who managed to get himself into serious trouble: https://www.facebook.com/groups/392520757598601/permalink/755762927941047/?comment_id=756176361233037&reply_comment_id=756241594559847&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R%22%7D

Is there a way of sharing this with those of us who are not on Facebook?

I can read it without having a facebook login if I open it in a private browsing window.

In the comments is something from Daniel: "He [the rogue Italian] got to Loughton but I forbade him from using the facilities. We also had a Japanese interloper who fell foul of the Louth famine and was found bonked and slumped at Hessle visitor information centre. The story of how we discovered him is actually quite funny."
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #31 on: 16 August, 2017, 01:01:03 pm »
a little bit further down in the comments, Neil Crocker has the full story on the other stowaway:

"Found him lying on the verge about 20km before the Humber Bridge. He spoke no English but I realised his Garmin was repeatedly crashing and he had no backup. Beckoned him to follow me to next control. At first he kept up with me but soon I was stopping frequently for him and by the time we crossed the Humber Bridge he was barely moving.

He looked really unwell but not ill enough to call 999. I went to the Visitor Information Centre for help and the lady there was phoning around for translation services and making tea for him. A passing nurse in full motorcycle leathers was also trying to ascertain what was wrong with him. He then fell asleep under the shade of a tree and I was concerned that if I left him his bike might not be there when he woke up. (While he was sleeping I did manage to re-start his Garmin and find the route.)

I rang Danial and agreed I would take him to a hotel to let him recover. With more help from the VIC, and a trip to Hessle Co-op to get the food he insisted on, I finally got him to the local Premier Inn but they could not book him in because he had no formal ID. However I did find out his name from the credit card he had.

So I rang Danial who then informed me there was no one of his name on the ride! It had never occurred to me that he might not be an official entrant. By now he was beginning to perk up a bit so I reluctantly left him to fend for himself and set off for Pocklington. I do wonder what the full story was and what became of him."
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Ben T

« Reply #32 on: 16 August, 2017, 02:55:39 pm »
 ;D you sure he was even trying to do LEL, and not just a random local POB? Poor bloke, he was just on his way to the shops for a pint of milk, relaxing waiting for his mate or something and then he's being dragged off miles away.  :)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #33 on: 17 August, 2017, 06:40:04 am »
;D you sure he was even trying to do LEL, and not just a random local POB?

Like the guy who joined the FNRttC peleton a number of years. It wasn't until a good while later he discovered he'd misheard the destination and we're heading to Brighton, rather than Brixton.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #34 on: 17 August, 2017, 10:35:35 am »
and the rider on the London-Cambridge ride in 2013 who inadvertently joined a LEL peloton.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #35 on: 17 August, 2017, 12:58:09 pm »
;D you sure he was even trying to do LEL, and not just a random local POB?

Like the guy who joined the FNRttC peleton a number of years. It wasn't until a good while later he discovered he'd misheard the destination and we're heading to Brighton, rather than Brixton.
Yes, wasn't he on a mountain bike? Had been given some money by friends to pop out for a pizza. Ended up on the south coast.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #36 on: 17 August, 2017, 06:52:32 pm »
I saw the rogue Italian whilst I was manning the Barnard Castle control desk, and rode with the Italian who mistook Brighton for Brixton on the FNRTtC.

The former wandered in apparently too tired to get his card stamped.  A couple of volunteers went off to help him.  He spoke little/no English but communicated that his card was still on his bike and he needed food and sleep first, which is pretty cheeky now we know he wasn't a signed up rider.

The latter realised he was on the wrong ride by the time we went down the big hill in Surrey but carried on as that was easier (plus he happy flirting with a couple of women on the ride) and I took him to Brighton station after breakfast on the seafront.