Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 135135 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2018
« Reply #200 on: 27 October, 2017, 06:47:40 pm »
I read somewhere the event has been held for over 30 years.

It looks as though 1984 was the first one, at least there was a 'Bristol DA 600' on 18th August that year, with 39 finishers, including Bryan Chapman himself, and Pauline Porter.  I think it has run every year since?
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #201 on: 27 October, 2017, 06:52:37 pm »
I'm sure IanH will be along at some time to clarify. Bryan left us a number of years ago, in his memory the first year it became the BCM I believe procedes went to a suitable charity.

Until Ian comes along, there's this https://youtu.be/R8GoL8UzIj0
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #202 on: 27 October, 2017, 07:35:26 pm »
I read somewhere the event has been held for over 30 years.

It looks as though 1984 was the first one, at least there was a 'Bristol DA 600' on 18th August that year, with 39 finishers, including Bryan Chapman himself, and Pauline Porter.  I think it has run every year since?

Those days the ride went out of Llanidloes through Staylittle to Llanbrynmair and onto Dolgellau, and just for good measure it did it on the way back too (at times). There was also a detour or two through the Forest of Dean (only the lumpiest bits of course).
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #203 on: 27 October, 2017, 07:45:50 pm »
I'm sure IanH will be along at some time to clarify. Bryan left us a number of years ago, in his memory the first year it became the BCM I believe procedes went to a suitable charity.

I'm not the person to ask, but I can ask Pauline.  Liz Chapman, Bryan's widow, helped me set up the Kernow & SW 600.  She had a fund of amusing stories about Bryan and cycling.  I can even remember a few.

« Reply #204 on: 27 October, 2017, 09:31:07 pm »
I'm in, my first BCM, so assuming other stuff doesn't get in the way and I get there, and I complete it and live to tell the tale (repeatedly) .... is there a badge ?
I'm new to this Audax caper and there's plenty of space on my carradice. Shallow I know ...
Let them eat cake

« Reply #205 on: 28 October, 2017, 05:41:10 pm »
. . . . . . . . . . . . plete it and live to tell the tale (repeatedly) .... is there a badge ?
I'm new to this Audax caper and . . . . . . . . . . .   ...

There's always a badge, and grounds for certification.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #206 on: 28 October, 2017, 07:44:28 pm »
I don't have a cheque book, I don't know anyone who does have a cheque book. Paypal is not the only option, what about BACS, bitcoin, Monzo? Cheques are not free - ok they might be free to you, but they are incredibly expensive to print and process, that is not done by banks altruistically it's paid for by all of us. 3% of a lot of money adds up to a large amount, obviously, but it's still only 3% and 3% is not going to make or break anything either way. And it's even less when you factor in the cost of a C5 envelope, a stamp, running a printer...

You can request a chequebook to your bank... it might take a couple of days to get one... of course you had/have months to send your registration form. I don't think altruism is in the Banking dictionary... if they give them away for free it's because it would cost them more to charge. You pay for the stamps, but you would have to pay for them in the entry fee if you didn't, same for the envelopes... I would assume most people use C5 envelopes at their workplace? Well, I did.
Pre-addressed and stamped envelopes save time. Writing 200 addresses twice can be a PITA, would you volunteer to do it, in exchange for a paypal entry?
It seems to me you can't be bothered, which in turn it means you are not really that interested, which is (I think) one of the reasons the organiser does it this way.

You might be able to request a cheque book, but they are quite literally a foreign concept here. How are non UK riders expected to pay by cheque?

BACS, or IBAN/BIC should be a plausible option in this day and age.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #207 on: 28 October, 2017, 09:21:31 pm »
I'm sure IanH will be along at some time to clarify. Bryan left us a number of years ago, in his memory the first year it became the BCM I believe proceeds went to a suitable charity.

Just to be clear, I did the BCM in 2013 and it did not snow

I'm not sure I ever remember it snowing on any BCM I've done

I think that the film doesn't make it clear but they are riding a homage to the BCM at some other time of year

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #208 on: 28 October, 2017, 09:30:51 pm »
BCM is usually late May, when, even in Wales, snow is unusual.
I thought.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #209 on: 28 October, 2017, 09:54:40 pm »
Admittedly, I've ridden it only a handful of times but the worst I've encountered is sleet.  It's a sweet little film but it's pure Rapha - brilliant marketing of average products (IMHO).
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #210 on: 28 October, 2017, 10:02:43 pm »
I'm sure IanH will be along at some time to clarify. Bryan left us a number of years ago, in his memory the first year it became the BCM I believe proceeds went to a suitable charity.

Just to be clear, I did the BCM in 2013 and it did not snow

I'm not sure I ever remember it snowing on any BCM I've done

I think that the film doesn't make it clear but they are riding a homage to the BCM at some other time of year

I can't remember which year I was walking in Snowdonia, on the same weekend as the BCM, when we were struck by a sudden snowstorm on the Sunday morning.

« Reply #211 on: 28 October, 2017, 10:55:34 pm »
You might be able to request a cheque book, but they are quite literally a foreign concept here. How are non UK riders expected to pay by cheque?

I believe the organiser can be a bit more flexible for non UK riders. As ever, a direct email is probably a better way of getting a definitive answer than asking some randoms on t'internet.

« Reply #212 on: 28 October, 2017, 11:07:08 pm »
The Rapha video was shot in March - see 0:22. Adam Watkins' video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyotlUgS8FM of his 2016 ride gives a good idea of the ride (front end). 2017's BCM was not as cold.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #213 on: 29 October, 2017, 08:22:24 am »

I believe the organiser can be a bit more flexible for non UK riders. As ever, a direct email is probably a better way of getting a definitive answer than asking some randoms on t'internet.
It would have been even more productive to ask the organiser before the event sold out.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #214 on: 24 February, 2018, 03:14:45 pm »
I (and my bicycle) are now booked on the 18h45 train from Paddington that gets to Bristol Parkway at 20h06. That'll limit the amount of time I have to be social at the Boar's Head on the Friday night, which is a bit of a shame but that train was a decent chunk cheaper than a ~5pm train. Hey ho.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #215 on: 04 March, 2018, 08:32:02 pm »
I (and my bicycle) are now booked on the 18h45 train from Paddington that gets to Bristol Parkway at 20h06. That'll limit the amount of time I have to be social at the Boar's Head on the Friday night, which is a bit of a shame but that train was a decent chunk cheaper than a ~5pm train. Hey ho.

I'm always up for a dry sherry, is The Boar's Head where it's at on Friday night ?
Let them eat cake

« Reply #216 on: 04 March, 2018, 08:43:33 pm »
It looks like I've volunteered to help (it was the only way I could get out of riding this year), so see you all at Doll-ga-loo.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #217 on: 04 March, 2018, 10:25:24 pm »
When are you travelling back? The return tickets have not been released for Sunday night. This is because of weekend engineering work near Hayes.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #218 on: 04 March, 2018, 10:31:25 pm »
When are you travelling back? The return tickets have not been released for Sunday night. This is because of weekend engineering work near Hayes.

I haven't booked anything because, as you say nothing has been released, but I have to be be in east London for work at 8 am Monday. Hopefully these engineering works don't scupper that as it will prevent me from riding.

I may need to enter Hackney Half marathon that's on the same weekend as a backup plan!
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #219 on: 05 March, 2018, 12:01:09 pm »
It looks like I've volunteered to help (it was the only way I could get out of riding this year), so see you all at Doll-ga-loo.
Me as well, although I was never really considering riding but did want to be involved. I'm going to be in Aberhafesp and planned a little 4 or 5 day tour back to Essex after the event.

« Reply #220 on: 05 March, 2018, 08:39:18 pm »
I'm also on the volunteer roster, having managed to mess up sending my entry in. Looking forward to an enjoyable weekend supporting everyone that's riding & perhaps a tour home afterwards.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #221 on: 25 April, 2018, 01:00:58 pm »

Tickets for the Sunday have finally been released.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #222 on: 28 April, 2018, 01:53:51 pm »

Tickets for the Sunday have finally been released.
Yep booked with bike space on 8:30pm. I would in all likelihood make the 7:30 but I had to hurry last year.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #223 on: 30 April, 2018, 07:20:38 am »
Hi,

I have just got the route sheet and am trying to sort out the new section after new town. The instruction that is giving me most cause for concern is

15.3 RIGHT $ Llaith Ddu & follow to BWLCH SARNAU

Which I think is at 22.2.

BB

whosatthewheel

« Reply #224 on: 30 April, 2018, 08:23:50 am »
Hi,

I have just got the route sheet and am trying to sort out the new section after new town. The instruction that is giving me most cause for concern is

15.3 RIGHT $ Llaith Ddu & follow to BWLCH SARNAU

Which I think is at 22.2.

BB

My understanding is that the new section is aimed to avoid nasty bikers? If it's at km 15, are there any bikers around that time in the morning?

Maybe I am mixing up things...