Author Topic: Ticks  (Read 1669 times)

Ticks
« on: 21 August, 2017, 10:56:56 am »
Nasty..

Matt Dawson: I had to have heart surgery after a tick bite

Lyme disease is a bacterial infection, passed on to humans by infected ticks.
While it is difficult to estimate the total number of UK cases, they are understood to have increased more than fourfold in the past 10 years.
The peak season is April to October, though they are active all year round.

If left untreated, early localised Lyme can attack the nervous system and cause debilitating neurological problems
However, if you receive prompt antibiotic treatment, it can successfully treat the disease and prevent further illness

Easy to forget about ticks. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Re: Ticks
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2017, 11:02:14 am »
Someone on here was unfortunate to suffer a tick bite not so long ago - with some very unpleasant consequences.

« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2017, 11:35:15 am »
If going to a tick-y area, invest in one of these ...http://www.otom.com/en/

Cheap, easy, and helps prevent infection.

« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2017, 11:51:38 am »

I like that. Have pulled enough ticks off in the past to appreciate a reliable method.

« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2017, 11:53:54 am »

I have carried on of these for many years. It has been called into use three times fortunately never on myself.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2017, 01:16:09 pm »
Nasty little barstewards.

I got one in Richmond Park some years ago. Typical bullseye on the skin, GP, antibiotics etc. Of note, I didn't feel the tick bite at the time. It was on my upper arm. I realised later that I had brushed off its head parts without realising - the redness came later. Got off lightly.

It's a bit alarming that 1/3 of dogs tested during the study mentioned in the BBC article had a tick.

simonp

« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2017, 01:27:50 pm »
Went for a walk with the dog a couple of weeks ago, came back with four ticks on him.

I've had one tick, ever, picked up on the Scottish 1300k in 2014. Didn't notice it until I was back home and in the shower. It was on my hip, under my shorts. No rash etc.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 21 August, 2017, 06:07:55 pm »
My brother had a tick bite that resulted in Lymes disease. He noticed the redness and the white surround. His wife is a pharmacist and they recognised the symptoms. As per Sgt. Pluck antibiotics nipped it in the bud and he's OK.

His job took him to lots of ticky places as he worked for English Nature in Attingham Park.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #8 on: 22 August, 2017, 09:08:40 pm »
I had been wondering where Matt Dawson received the tick bite. It is reported that he acquired it in Chiswick House Gardens.

I should add to my previous post that I was not diagnosed with Lyme disease. I went to the GP as a precaution after recognising the typical rash around the bite (which became extremely painful and took many weeks to heal BTW) and was given the antibiotics as prophylaxis.