Author Topic: Feeding Kittens  (Read 2669 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Feeding Kittens
« on: 15 October, 2017, 05:53:11 pm »
Our garden has been adopted by a family of cats - mum and 6 kittens.

We managed to rehome one kitten and are awaiting help from the Cats Protection people. They have advised us to feed them, which we are doing. I have never wanted pets but don't want to do them harm.

I don't really want to spend a bomb on these furballs and kitten food seems rather pricy for what it is.

They don't seem to like dry food much. I think the bunch got through three 400g tins of adult food yesterday.

Is there any need for kitten food?

essexian

Re: Feeding Kittens
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2017, 07:54:24 am »
Hi

The straightforward answer is no, you don't need special foods for kittens, they will eat just about anything, although I am surprised they don't like biscuits: ours loved them. You might want to break them up a little first with a rolling pin to make it easier for them to chew...not that cats chew much!

From a very young age, kittens have very sharp teeth so can manage most things.... test this out for yourself by getting one of them to bite you!!!
I still have the scars.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2017, 08:31:08 am »
I am not an expert. 
In my experience,  cats of all ages are very good at refusing food if they think that something more yummy could be offered.  You just need to call their bluff.
A large bag of Iams will cost you much less than tinned stuff.
It is very important for them to have access to water if they're eating them.  Do not be tempted to give them milk.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2017, 10:04:10 am »
Cats will generally go for wet food where there's a choice (ours go mental-ish*) but they'll eat dry when there's nothing else. If they're hungry, they'll eat. Provided they get plentiful food, I doubt there's much benefit to kitten-specific food.

*well apart from Little Monster Cat this morning who didn't get up – still hasn't – but I think that's because I was stupid enough to leave a freshly laundered quilt out and she's made a nest that she's not about to give up. Sheesh.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2017, 12:50:33 pm »
Thanks!

The dry food pieces seem quite small and even mixed with wet food, they're always left till last. There's a big water bowl kept full and usually a few puddles.

Sainsbury's tins are less than a fiver for a dozen so they're not hugely costly, even with 6 mouths to feed.

I am hoping some prospective owners will have more luck catching one soon!

« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2017, 12:52:55 pm »
Feeding kittens to what?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 16 October, 2017, 11:55:39 pm »
to fatten them...

« Reply #7 on: 17 October, 2017, 03:29:33 am »
Kitten food is higher in protein and calcium for growth. They won't get the same thing just by eating more of an adult food because they will be full on the carbs without getting enough of those nutrients.
High quality protein is expensive, hence kitten food costs more per kg.

I have a bag of unwanted kitten food I could send you for free if you want- my fussy Ragdolls went onto an expensive prescription diet (it's all the feline expert at the uni's fault) for a while then refused to eat their kitten food thereafter. They will now only eat Eukanuba Enteric which costs a fair bit for 3 large cats  :facepalm:

ian

« Reply #8 on: 17 October, 2017, 09:40:53 am »
In my experience, a cat's food preference correlates strongly with the price of that food. Never feed them the more expensive stuff, they'll know and they'll never go back to the cheap stuff.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 17 October, 2017, 01:51:58 pm »
Thanks for the wisdom, feline!

I'll pass up the offer of food as it would be fairly costly to post and we still have a fair amount of kitten food remaining.

ETA Scrutinising the Sainsbury's website for info about the various foods, it seems neither the energy, nor the carb content are stated. The 'moisture' ie WATER content is given for wet food but omitted for 'dry' food, which I'm sure is not totally water-free.

I think I saw energy content a few weeks ago, conveniently given as the percentage recommended for an ADULT HUMAN. They have appeared to remove this anomaly.

Making a halfway informed choice is difficult!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #10 on: 27 October, 2017, 11:04:43 pm »

Making a halfway informed choice is difficult!

Yep, it is difficult.  Pets at home (vet at home) are doing chipping and all the jabs and follow up for £40 per kitten.  Looks like that I will taking the cats to Pets at home, near Frien Barnet.