Author Topic: Do you actually like Christmas food?  (Read 13915 times)

dim

Re: Do you actually like Christmas food?
« Reply #100 on: 28 December, 2017, 07:35:44 pm »
I don't like turkey, so cook something different every christmas ...(normally a BBQ)

last year was Duck

this year was smoked Pork ribs (St Louis cut) .... plus all the extras (roast tats, creamed spinach, salds, trifle, etc etc)

cooked for 9 hrs at 110-120 degrees C on a Weber Charcoal BBQ using Mesquinite wood chunks (I'm pretty good at BBQ and have done ribs several times before)

started the fire at 9am and by the time the meat and all the extras was done (6pm) , I had polished off 8 stella pints, a bottle of wine, 1/2 of a bottle of Chivas Regal and had a few puffs of a spliff from my neighbour's lad

so.... I can't remember eating, but everyone else said it was very good  :-[

next year I might take the family to the local pub for Christmas lunch

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #101 on: 02 January, 2018, 07:49:17 pm »
No one in this thread can like Christmas food as much as this man:
Andy Park has eaten 135,000 sprouts, 107,000 mince pies and drank 6,000 bottles of champagne since 1994.[3]

He claims that each day he eats breakfast (turkey sandwich and mince pies), then goes to work, until returning around at lunchtime to eat a full roast turkey dinner before watching a recording of the Queen's Christmas speech, sherry in hand. In 2006, it was reported that the Queen had politely declined an invitation to broadcast her speech from his house.

In an interview published in 2006, Mr. Park was quoted as saying that, over the previous 13 years, he had consumed 4,380 turkeys (one a day), 87,600 mince pies (20 a day), 2,190 pints of gravy (half a pint a day), 26,280 roast potatoes (six a day), 30,660 stuffing balls, 219,000 mushy peas, 4,380 bottles of champagne, 4,380 bottles of sherry and 5,000 bottles of wine. However, in 2001, he was warned by his doctor that the diet was affecting his health after his weight increased to 19 stone (270 lb; 120 kg).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Park_(Mr._Christmas)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #102 on: 03 January, 2018, 10:12:20 am »
https://theulsterfry.com/featured/everyone-now-living-on-tinfoil-parcels-from-the-fridge-say-reports/

Everything we got in for New Year expires today or tomorrow. Looks like I'll be putting on a kilo and we'll have some very happy dogs.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #103 on: 04 January, 2018, 10:06:22 am »
We are having a second Christmas dinner tonight. Pcolbeck Juniors's girlfriend was away with her parents for Christmas and they don't really do Christmas (she's from Hong Kong so Chinese new year is the thing). Luckily we aren't having another 15lb turkey but a instead a turkey breast stuffed with chicken breast then duck breast then stuffing.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #104 on: 04 January, 2018, 12:14:25 pm »
I don't think Christmas pudding gives enough pleasure per Calorie.

I am quite happy to indulge in some festive excesses. But they must be fun. I don't think we'll get a traditional pudding next year.

ian

« Reply #105 on: 04 January, 2018, 02:26:45 pm »
Every year our in-laws bring up a Christmas pud, and every year they take it home with them. It might have been the same one for the last several years, it should get miles. The also took home 3/4 of a giant trifle and a virginal Christmas cake.

I actually don't mind Christmas pudding but I'm too stuffed over Christmas and thereafter I'm not an habitual dessert eater. I wish I'd kept a slice of cake though because I really fancied one after a walk on Monday.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #106 on: 04 January, 2018, 03:45:50 pm »
I love a good Christmas pudding but a rich, heavy dessert is generally the last thing you want at the end of a rich, heavy meal. One small one was just right to serve six of us at the end of Christmas dinner this year - a little Christmas pudding goes a long way.

If you've got leftover pudding, one of the best things you can do with it is mix it up with leftover custard and freeze it to make ice cream.

My wife made our leftover turkey into a turkey and ham pie. Most excellent it was too. Almost makes it worth having leftover turkey.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #107 on: 04 January, 2018, 06:57:59 pm »
We din't have our Christmas pudding until many hour after dinner; almost any dessert would be too much if dinner had anything approaching 'the full works'.

Think I'll do a trifle next year but fancy Eve's Pudding & custard at some point in the festivities.