Author Topic: Tablet - leave powered on during day when not used?  (Read 1452 times)

Tablet - leave powered on during day when not used?
« on: 14 December, 2017, 09:37:48 am »
Another tablet question, not related to my other one, whuch possibly occured to me because my other (working) 7 inch Lenovo tablet takes so long to boot up.

So, here goes.

You switch your tablet on at the beginning of the day.

Fiddle on it a bit.

Do you then switch it off until you use it next during the day or do you just put it to sleep, switching off the screen and wifi connections?

Are there any significant implications for either choice (switch off or sleep) in the time the battery will then last until next charge or for the OVERALL life of the battery?

Must admit that at the moment I tend to switch it off after each fiddle and then reboot it when I next need it.

I assume it is a good thing to switch it off at the end of the day to preserve the battery and also to let the operating sort/clean/resolve itself or whatever by being shut down and then booting up "clean".

Re: Tablet - leave powered on during day when not used?
« Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2017, 09:39:39 am »
Another tablet question, not related to my other one, whuch possibly occured to me because my other (working) 7 inch Lenovo tablet takes so long to boot up.

So, here goes.

You switch your tablet on at the beginning of the day.

Fiddle on it a bit.

Do you then switch it off until you use it next during the day or do you just put it to sleep, switching off the screen and wifi connections?

Are there any significant implications for either choice (switch off or sleep) in the time the battery will then last until next charge or for the OVERALL life of the battery?

Must admit that at the moment I tend to switch it off after each fiddle and then reboot it when I next need it.

I assume it is a good thing to switch it off at the end of the day to preserve the battery and also to let the operating sort/clean/resolve itself or whatever by being shut down and then booting up "clean".
The only time any of mine get shut down is when I forget to charge them!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 14 December, 2017, 09:44:11 am »
I think for overall life of the battery over a long time you should let it run right down occasionally.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3 on: 14 December, 2017, 09:53:47 am »
Tablets and phones I just leave on all the time. They are set to screen lock or sleep the screen after X minutes of inactivity or whatever. Isn't that the whole point of tablets and phones ie just there when you want them rather than booting up a laptop or desktop PC.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 14 December, 2017, 01:21:02 pm »
My tablet stays on, in standby.  Networking on when power is abundant, but I'll put it into flight mode when travelling.

Life's too short to sit around watching computers reboot unnecessarily, and half the utility of such things is that they're instantly available to look things up, respond to a message or control some system.

I trust the power management to look after the battery, and expect Gate's Law to make the device obsolete before the battery capacity is diminished to the point of uselessness.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 15 December, 2017, 12:27:10 pm »

I believe the main factor that determines the performance of a lithium rechargeable cell is its age.  Not the pattern of usage.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 15 December, 2017, 01:05:29 pm »
I think for overall life of the battery over a long time you should let it run right down occasionally.

That's so for NiMH batteries but not for Li-Ion. Some might not recover from going dead flat. I've lost a couple of camera batteries that way.

I have two tablets, one of which stays on & gets topped up as needed, the other gets switched off when not in use.  The one that stays on seems to do an orderly shutdown once power gets to zero, because it will always start again without being plugged in, although it will then close down immediately.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 15 December, 2017, 01:17:04 pm »
I don't shut down my tablet but do use Greenify to force most background apps to stop to save battery.  (This isn't quite so important with the latest version of Android with better built-in app/process management).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oasisfeng.greenify
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●