Author Topic: Waterproof / freezeproof padlocks  (Read 1430 times)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Waterproof / freezeproof padlocks
« on: 08 January, 2018, 04:03:48 pm »
Got a padlock on my shed. It often seems to get water inside it, so it seems to be rusting a bit inside. And in the current weather, it is freezing, so I can't unlock it. Not very useful if I need to get my bike out in the morning.

Any recommendations for some sort of waterproof padlock?
Doesn't need to be top security, to be honest the rest of the shed isn't exactly solid, and the bikes are locked inside anyway. Just something fairly sturdy, to stop anyone poking around.

Or worth covering/wrapping it in something? Not sure if that would just trap more moisture in the lock.
Or spray some sort of oil/grease inside? I have tried a bit of WD40 or chain oil, but doesn't seem to last very long.

Re: Waterproof / freezeproof padlocks
« Reply #1 on: 08 January, 2018, 04:35:47 pm »
We have a number of padlocks on "sheds" at work and none of them seem to have a problem of freezing up.  Having said this all the padlocks are at the upper end of the padlock market - £150 sort of cost and they are protected by steel shrouds to make cutting more difficult and therefore they are shielded from the weather.  So it might be worth investing in a better quality lock (although I'm not suggesting you buy a £150 lock!) and trying to provide some sort of weather protection as well.  Have you got a local locksmiths that could point you in the right direction of a suitable lock?

Chain oil is unlikely to be helping the situation as it is a sticky oil and will tend to gunge up the lock as it attracts muck.  Graphite powder is the usual recommended lock lubricant.  WD40 would be  a lot better as not only is it designed to disperse water but it wont make the lock internals so sticky (but it isn't ideal)

« Reply #2 on: 08 January, 2018, 09:46:56 pm »
You can buy padlocks made from Phoshor Bronze where either the body or the shackle (or both) are made from this corrosion resistant material. Obviously a Phoshor Bronze shackle isn't as strong as a steel one, but it isn't that much less. It was certainly good enough for the utililty companies that we used to make & supply them to. Padlocks on various substations, junction boxes or pump houses are often not touched for months, even years on end, but are required to be opened instantly when a (usually urgent) situation calls for it. Also make sure the padlock has some form of cover for the key cylinder / keyhole slot.

The above and an occasional squirt of graphite powder up/down anywhere where the weather can get to the internals and the padlock is as weatherproof as you'll get.

« Reply #3 on: 08 January, 2018, 10:06:01 pm »
I've used padlocks on me boats for years, padlocks outside.

Rules to avoid freezing; hold padlock keyhole up - drip in thin oil. Insert key and lock unlock multiple times. Put lock keyhole down, now drip oil round hasp bits and work hasp up and down until some oil is taken into the internals.

this seems to keep the rain out. the downside is that you end up with slightly oily keys - don't put them in your trouser pockets.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Hello, I am Bruce

• Hello, I am Bruce
  • Hello, I am Bruce
    • Flickr Photos
« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2018, 11:08:36 am »
Our bike shed has been fine every freezing morning since fitting this https://www.abus.com/uk/Home-Security/Padlocks/Diskus-R/Diskus-R-24IB.  Maybe pricier than you are looking for though.  Probably any lock where the key opens the shackle is better than one with a sprung shackle where the key only moves an internal latch.

« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2018, 11:17:39 am »
I bought some Master branded weatherproof padlocks from Screwfix approx 6 months ago. The mechanisms are still fine although the bonded exterior is coming adrift on one of them- not good enough really. They are not cheap.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: 09 January, 2018, 09:37:51 pm »
Most of the allotment holders on out plots fit a sort of 'mudflap' over the lock to deflect rain and snow, and give some protection against frost.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...