Author Topic: Horsepower 100 & 200km, Saturday 10th March 2018  (Read 8964 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Horsepower 100 & 200km, Saturday 10th March 2018
« Reply #50 on: 10 March, 2018, 09:30:57 pm »
You looked happy and going well. Obviously your training is paying off.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #51 on: 12 March, 2018, 10:50:01 am »
That was fun ... actually, that was a bit painful — lack of riding over winter meant I might've overestimated my ability and I was suffering for most of the way around.  That's not to say I didn't enjoy it though! ;)

I left home just after 5am for the ECE to Great Dunmow.  It was "warm" at 8°C, but raining, so I was boil-in-a-bag.  I was riding into the breeze and that was enough to tell me I am well down on power at the moment, probably through lack of miles.  Two Cambridge riders caught and passed me on the 50km run down — both waaaay stronger than me, so no surprise.

I left slightly after the main group, intent on bagging some opportunistic Explorer Squares, so being near the back would mean I could divert with few shouts of "wrong way!".  I dropped off the group in Great Bardfield and took a more cross-country route to Castle Hedingham, bagging a few squares.

It was at this point that I discovered my Garmin had chewed up my carefully-crafted, square-bagging GPX and was just showing where I'd indicated each "bag" should occur but no route between — aaargh!  I had a printed map, too, so I had to navigate off-piste using the on-screen and paper maps and guessing as to which lane was the correct one.  In the end I missed two squares — one I should've gone 100m further into the square, and the other VeloViewer's "simplification" routine straight-lined and missed the corner of the square, as it has done several times in the past (time to start gaming that particular algorithm ... next year, p'raps).

Rode briefly with Sue, who was struggling, and HK and LittleWheelsAndBig before diverting left for one square before Sudbury — and passed The Straggler heading in the opposite direction, although not himself on The Horsepower.  A nice quick run into Lavenham with the tailwind and caught up with the aforementioned and others for a swift buttie.

After Lavenham, I again took to some alternative lanes, bagging a long series of squares on a laney route parallel the official one, to Stanton where I once again bumped into Sue's group.  The tailwind made this leg a bit easier and I dropped that group and headed off on my own once more for a final few before lunch at Snetterton.  A jacket spud with curry was nicely warming while I chatted with Tomsk's lads manning the control, just as it started to rain again.  At this point I reckoned there were just four riders behind me.

It was surprising just how flooded the roads and lanes were — large puddles, many large enough to be classed as floods, along the entire route.  I had to unclip and glide through a number of full-road submersions, which is always fun trying to clip back in afterwards, as I was riding fixed-gear.  So much for my new chain, which is now oil-free and rusting quietly out the back ...

After the turn it was back into the wind and by now, over 150km in, I was feeling spent, so I paused the square-bagging and took to the proper route.  Although I could occasionally see riders ahead, there was no way I could catch them without blowing up, so I settled in for a solo ride into the wind along some quite exposed sections.  I didn't pass anyone, and I wasn't passed.  Some of the climbs — and these are barely humps anywhere but Suffolk! — were taken at less than 15kph, I am that unfit at the moment.

Some really appalling driving and lots of close passes on the B-road into Newmarket, which I always think is a shame — you'd've thought horsey types would have sympathy for us two-wheeled, self-powered brigade and leave lots of room, but seemingly there are many who don't.

I bounced Newmarket control — I first had to try a number of ATMs, but none of the receipts indicated "Newmarket", as per Tomsk's instructions, so a stick of chewing gum from the Shell garage was necessary.  At Newmarket the sun finally made a full-on appearance and the temperature soared to a balmy 14°C, although it didn't last long enough to remove any layers and in fact when the sun went back in, another layer went on, brrr.

The final pull over the hill to Great Dunmow is a classic Tomsk sting-in-the-tail.  The climb up to West Wratting seems to go on forever, and in my fatigued state felt like hard work, but as with all these things, you keep chipping away and get there eventually.  I had a number of cheeky off-route excursions planned between Ashdon and Thaxted to bag squares, but I couldn't face them, so I plodded on.  After Thaxted, at the Big Flood on the B184, I turned left into a never-ridden hinterland of baggable squares, bagging six in as many kilometres, right around the corner from arrivée.  And then the final run to the finish, just me on my own.

As ever, the Great Dunmow arrivée was thrumming with chat and banter with plenty of delicious soup and cake, and lots of smiley faces that made it all seem worthwhile.  I discovered that I was late-mid-pack and that I had passed quite a number of riders on the road — ah, the ACME group had paused in the Wetherspoon's in Newmarket where I bounced the control.

Before long, though, I had to think about the 50-odd kilometre ride back home.

Outside temperature had dropped rapidly to barely 5°C, but it didn't feel quite cold enough for full-colds, so I rode as briskly as I dared to keep warm.  Several riders passed me in the opposite direction, racing to get to arrivée before it closed.

Just at the Big Flood near Thaxted, I suffered a pop-ffsst-ffsst-ffsst-ffsst-ffsst-ffsst-ffsst under braking — noooo!  Cold and with everything covered in sand and gravel, I had to change the front tube.  A car stopped — actually passed me and reversed back — offering assistance.  I think it was riders from the event, but I couldn't quite make out who in the gloom — I thank you for your offer, I did manage to get going again shortly after.  An odd one — it definitely looked like the tube had failed rather than anything pointy interfering with it.  In fact, I wonder whether the pressure hadn't been a good deal higher than I usually run, and whether the gauge on my track pump has lost any reliability, because when I inflated the new tube with my hand pump, all the buzziness and bouncing from the front wheel during the day disappeared and it was lovely to ride, while still being hard enough to not bottom out on bumps and holes.  You live and learn.

By the end I was out for 18h15m and stopped for three of those — nothing amazing and a couple of hours down on where I was pre-LEL last year.  Sore in places I don't want to be sore (possibly due to over-inflated tyres).  As I'm planning on riding TINAT 400A and ACME Grand this year, I clearly have a bit of work to do.

My thanks to Tomsk for putting on the event, and to all his helpers, especially Junior Tippers, who is fast becoming a fixture  :thumbsup:

ps. 27 cheeky Explorer Squares bagged, but no change to my max-square at this time, which is still just 10x10.  At some point I'm going to have to gain access to a corner of Lakenheath — do they do open days?
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #52 on: 12 March, 2018, 10:58:38 am »
The Horsepower 200km 2018.

10th March 2018

I arrived at the Church in time for some snacks, toast (kindly cooked for me) and tea (also kindly made for me) which was nice. Caught up with Tom, Jan, Grant and Andy and before I knew it was time to go.

Tom gave us the safety briefing and sent us on our way. At that moment I noticed my route sheet wasn’t attached to my handle bars properly so after sorting that out I was finally on the my way.

I caught up with a few people and some people caught up with me but eventually I found myself on my own. There seemed to be long gaps between the turnings on the route sheet and just as I was beginning to wonder if I had missed one, Jan, Jane, Andy, Carl, Grant and Graham caught up with me and promptly overtook. However they weren’t going that much faster and I figured if I increased my pace a bit I could probably keep up.

With that I invited myself into their group and hoped they didn’t mind! We made it on to Lavenham. The next stage to Snetterton was really good, I enjoyed the lane between the trees and the pigs. There was a bit of a flood at one point but with a bit of momentum and both feet off the pedals I think everyone got through it with dry feet!

As we approached Snetterton we could hear the motorcycles screaming around the track. Reminded me of when I used to do track days but pathetic expensive crashes at Cadwell Park and Silverstone put an end to that.

A Lasagna with beans and potatoes and we were back on the road to New Market. The rain had caught up with us at this point and we were treated to some light rain. A couple of our group decided to put their waterproofs on only for it to stop raining. Sods law right?

We pushed on to Newmarket and stopped at the Wetherspoons. By now it was around half past four and there were already some intoxicated patrons interested in purhcasing our bikes, good job we locked them up! After a mixture of dinner, pudding and chips and pudding we were on our way again for the final 52km back to base.

The darkness was creeping up on us now and with about 7 miles back to Dunmow we somehow all got split up. Carl went along the main roads while the rest of us took the laney route. I could no longer see my route sheet and my headlamp was in my bag, so rather than stop and get it out I was following Jan. At this point we hadn't realised we had missed a turn and went on up the road by ourselves and then stopped for a while to wait for Grant, Jane and Andy. After they didn't show we back tracked and found the turn that we missed. After a couple of more feet off the pedals flooded lanes we were back at base to find everyone already there waiting for us.

I was greeted by a round of applause for finishing on time this time! After some lovely soup and some snacks I cycled the 16 miles back home after a great day out.

Thanks again to Tom and all the helpers for organising and Jan and everyone else for letting me tag along! Really enjoyed that one. See you all next time!

:o)

ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #53 on: 12 March, 2018, 11:03:27 am »
In the end I missed two squares — one I should've gone 100m further into the square, and the other VeloViewer's "simplification" routine straight-lined and missed the corner of the square, as it has done several times in the past (time to start gaming that particular algorithm ... next year, p'raps).

I've had similar, and been reliably informed that if you pre-load your route into VeloViewer, once you've ridden it VeloViewer will use the more accurate pre-loaded route and not the simplified route. Grey Sheep / jiberjaber would be able to advise exactly what needs to be done; I've not tried this yet.

Nice write-up of your day out. You nearly make it sound like fun ;)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #54 on: 12 March, 2018, 11:23:18 am »
In the end I missed two squares — one I should've gone 100m further into the square, and the other VeloViewer's "simplification" routine straight-lined and missed the corner of the square, as it has done several times in the past (time to start gaming that particular algorithm ... next year, p'raps).

I've had similar, and been reliably informed that if you pre-load your route into VeloViewer, once you've ridden it VeloViewer will use the more accurate pre-loaded route and not the simplified route. Grey Sheep / jiberjaber would be able to advise exactly what needs to be done; I've not tried this yet.

Nice write-up of your day out. You nearly make it sound like fun ;)

If it sounded like fun then I must brush up on my writing skills* ;)

Thanks for the VeloViewer hint, I found the FAQ on it and it does do what it says on the tin.  Still only 27 squares bagged on Saturday, but a 28th bagged from two previous rides with your help, plus another from the original Flatlands  :)

* in truth I enjoyed it, but definitely type-2 at times.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #55 on: 12 March, 2018, 12:16:19 pm »
Thank you to Tomsk and all his merry band of helpers for a splendid day out.  Even Jiber helped a little bit, eventually.

Tomsk clearly books the weather for this event as it seems to be the same every year - mild with a bit of damp and a nagging headwind on the way home.  What was different this year was the state of the roads.  Suffolk roads generally seem better than we have in Essex but not at the moment. Aside from the flooding and snow melt there were craters and loose gravel everywhere even on some of the bigger roads.  It's still a great route though and a really enjoyable early season test of the legs.

My legs failed that test.  I set off with the famous ACME B Peloton but didn't stay with them for long.  At first I thought the presence of A Peloton stalwart Bernster was spurring the Hustler on at the front but I soon realised it wasn't that everyone was going unusually quickly, I was just going slowly.  It only took until just after Finchingfield for the elastic to snap.  Usually riding fixed is a good excuse but half the peloton was on fixed and LWaB overtook me shortly afterwards at a pace that made it look as if I had stopped.  Getting lost in Sudbury didn't help much either  :-[ (but I did catch sight of the Straggler who looked as if he was on a Sudbury CC club run). At that point I decided to forget the Huggy fully-catered plan and just drift round at my own snail's pace.  With just over an hour off the bike all day, I didn't even have time for an Essex Energy Drink at Newmarket (looking at Strava flyby the B peloton must have been a few hundred yards behind me as I arrived at Newmarket but they then stopped for a full 'Spoons visit).

I was happy to get back to Arrivee and to receive such a lovely welcome  :P  I think they were just disappointed that the book on whether it would be body or bike that would let me down this time wasn't going to pay out.  I really enjoyed myself but it is better all round to ride as a group, even when Sid James is around.

Clearly there is work to be done if I am not to hold up the ACME Anvils on our way to York but, hey, it's over two weeks away  :facepalm:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #56 on: 12 March, 2018, 12:55:11 pm »
Just to echo what others have said: a huge thank you to Tomsk and helpers for an excellent day out, with top draw catering and TLC at the start and finish. I really enjoy this ride, it's a decent test of early season fitness and takes in plenty of lovely lanes. Nice to have a good catch up with the ACME peloton for the first part of the ride, and then join up with a well organised group of Braintree riders to share some of the work into the headwind on the way back to the Arivee from Newmarket  :thumbsup:

« Reply #57 on: 12 March, 2018, 09:34:55 pm »
Absurdly well looked after by the good folk of ACME. Gluten Free bread  8)

I upgraded to 100km on the day from the 200 and so didn't really stop - 15 mins at the turn in Newmarket to chug a Yahoo (not a euphemism!) and then realised quite how strong that headwind was. Rode the whole thing by myself for punishment for choosing the 100. But I was glad to do that, was testing a new SMP saddle and a bike-packing style saddle bag, both of which were good. 

Realised quite how much work is needed to be done before TINAT 400, even in the slow group. Happy not to be grinding out a 200km but need to get back to decent mileage this month.

Finally bought ACME jersey and hat, been meaning to get round to that for years. Maybe next time they will let me in the LEL team photo. But then again two kiwis might be one too many for an Essex cycling club.

A

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #58 on: 12 March, 2018, 10:43:54 pm »

I upgraded to 100km on the day from the 200 and so didn't really stop - 15 mins at the turn in Newmarket to chug a Yahoo (not a euphemism!) and then realised quite how strong that headwind was. Rode the whole thing by myself for punishment for choosing the 100. But I was glad to do that, was testing a new SMP saddle and a bike-packing style saddle bag, both of which were good. 

Realised quite how much work is needed to be done before TINAT 400, even in the slow group. Happy not to be grinding out a 200km but need to get back to decent mileage this month.

Finally bought ACME jersey and hat, been meaning to get round to that for years. Maybe next time they will let me in the LEL team photo. But then again two kiwis might be one too many for an Essex cycling club.

A
I reckon we could increase the quota to 2!
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #59 on: 12 March, 2018, 11:06:31 pm »

A
I reckon we could increase the quota to 2!

The Jersey suits you! Even with the face of Han Solo and the arms of Chewbacca (or the other way around, I can't decide)

« Reply #60 on: 13 March, 2018, 12:59:11 pm »
MMmmmmmmwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: 14 March, 2018, 07:41:57 am »
Thanks for the write-ups folks  :thumbsup:

And a BIG THANK-YOU to all the helpers that made everything run so smoothly  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

All the results are uploaded onto AUKweb now btw.