Author Topic: Orangutangs  (Read 2458 times)

Orangutangs
« on: 09 February, 2018, 12:22:19 pm »
On several wildlife  or zoo programs I have heard it mentioned that whist most people think chimps are really smart its actually orangutangs that are the thinkers out of the great apes (well us as well I suppose). I like the way this was put:

My girlfriend is a zookeeper, and her zoo's primate department rule of thumb about the great apes is that if you leave say, a screwdriver on a gorilla paddock, they'll pick it up, play with it a bit, see what it tastes like, and then probably drop it. The chimps will pick it up, taste it, and then use it as a weapon during a murderous blood rage against anything in the immediate area that isn't also a chimp. The orangutans will pick it up, carefully conceal it, and while nobody is looking, use it to build a multistage rocket to return to their home world.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Re: Orangutangs
« Reply #1 on: 09 February, 2018, 12:25:04 pm »
Ook

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 09 February, 2018, 01:50:10 pm »
Nah. Orangutangs are far too intelligent to go for that multistage chemical stuff. High G does terrible things to a gut full of mango gas.  They go for the continuous-thrust (though it's not really thrust) vectored-gravity drive.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #3 on: 09 February, 2018, 02:41:49 pm »
Really people, really. Orangutans mastered the technology for teleportation some years ago.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 09 February, 2018, 02:49:54 pm »
Really people, really. Orangutans mastered the technology for teleportation some years ago.

...by studying cats.

ian

« Reply #5 on: 09 February, 2018, 04:25:51 pm »
As a typical apropos of nothing (me™), my colleague (let's call her Emma) and I were enjoying an afternoon drink in Boca Raton the other year and she was regaling me with her trip to Borneo and the orangutans. At which she choose to deliver what was a splendid orangutan impression, complete with a high decibel call of the jungle. So high decibel in fact that I suspect she stopped traffic all the way down to the Keys. She certainly silenced the bar.

Let this, children, be a lesson that mojitos aren't breakfast.