Author Topic: Where would you get electrical bits? Maplin  (Read 9552 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Where would you get electrical bits? Maplin
« Reply #25 on: 01 March, 2018, 12:15:17 pm »
That is sad. Yes Maplins was always on to a loser unless it could find a new way to make money - have to add value that ebay/RS etc cannot.
RS is cheaper and next day delivery (I think I get a fancy deal as I am registered at the Uni).
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #26 on: 01 March, 2018, 12:39:43 pm »
I'm aware of at least one BBC OB which wouldn't have happened without the Oxford road branch of Maplin directly opposite NBH (capacitors to fix an electronic 600 Ohm debalancing circuit in a VTR, destroyed due to inadvertent injection of ring volts, since you ask.  Sony didn't use transformers).  That was back in the early 90's, however.  Otherwise, we've been predicting a Tandy-like demise for a few years now - it must be at least ten years since I darkened their doors.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #27 on: 06 March, 2018, 10:29:17 am »
This could just be the tip of the iceberg...

Mothercare are in serious trouble. How many more lurking? We've had the snow to moan aboutdistract us for a week or so but this is the REAL storm.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #28 on: 06 March, 2018, 10:58:49 am »
It's all right though because we have a special relationship with the USof A and they will make sure we are still supplied with all our needs. Tessie said so.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #29 on: 06 March, 2018, 11:05:52 am »

Mothercare are in serious trouble. How many more lurking? We've had the snow to moan aboutdistract us for a week or so but this is the REAL storm.

At least if they folded I could stop trying to find my Share Certificates.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30 on: 06 March, 2018, 12:21:36 pm »
David needed some small incandescent bulbs for an old Thing which needed attention.

Only Mouser seemed to stock them in the UK. Tis a Warren Buffett company.

Components are cheap; Delivery is £12 (+VAT) for orders <£33.

I await a Fedex delivery of many little bulbs.

ian

« Reply #31 on: 06 March, 2018, 12:41:46 pm »

Like I've said, any high street retailer that doesn't have a USP or provide some kind of 'leisure' shopping is probably doomed. Is there anything Mothercare sell that can't be bought online? Is a visit to Mothercare a weekend highlight? I didn't think so.

We killed local high streets with out of town developments (commonly the haunt of many of these failing retailers) and now the internet is killing them. Obviously things have to change, but maybe there's an opportunity to revitalize local high streets, turn them into something that isn't just identikit chain shops trying to eek their way through each week. That takes a bit more vision though. Our local development plan pointed out that most of the investment in recent decades was in facilitating traffic movement through and out of town, leaving little more retail hope than that someone would stop and buy a lottery ticket. It shouldn't be a surprise then that we get convenience stores and charity shops.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 06 March, 2018, 01:07:06 pm »

Like I've said, any high street retailer that doesn't have a USP or provide some kind of 'leisure' shopping is probably doomed. Is there anything Mothercare sell that can't be bought online? Is a visit to Mothercare a weekend highlight? I didn't think so.
Ikea's safe then? Always seems to be one of the chief leisure destinations.  ;D

We killed local high streets with out of town developments (commonly the haunt of many of these failing retailers) and now the internet is killing them. Obviously things have to change, but maybe there's an opportunity to revitalize local high streets, turn them into something that isn't just identikit chain shops trying to eek their way through each week. That takes a bit more vision though. Our local development plan pointed out that most of the investment in recent decades was in facilitating traffic movement through and out of town, leaving little more retail hope than that someone would stop and buy a lottery ticket. It shouldn't be a surprise then that we get convenience stores and charity shops.
My local 'high street' is or claims to be "the longest street of independent traders in  Europe". http://glosrdcentral.co.uk I don't know quite how they measure that or how they define 'independent', but there it is. Among the one-offs there are also Boots, Co-op, a chain pub (Hobgoblin*), a Post Office, a bank, a couple of estate agents, a chain betting shop, a Sainsbury's, a couple of charity shops, a Costa... and Maplins! And of course many of those independents are cafes rather than shops, though I don't think that's particularly significant. But a high street which is something other than shopping? It sounds at once a wonderful and a terrible idea, because undoubtedly shopping occupies too much of our minds but OTOH what is a high street other than a street of commerce?

*A tale I heard about this pub: friend went in there, found landlord and wife having a massive row behind the bar, which culminated in her spitting a huge gob of yellow phlegm on his face and walking out – at which point landlord turns round with gob rolling down his face and, "Yes mate, what can I get for you?" "Errm... " (Happened about twenty years ago though)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 06 March, 2018, 01:24:37 pm »
Ikea might be a leisure destination but most folk won't have the need to buy furniture every week; if they are strapped for cash, they'll hardly but any of IKEA's wares.
Burnt Oak Broadway bustles with lots of fresh produce, several pawnbrokers & betting shops, cheap, tacky plastic homewares, takeaways & cafes, hair & nail salons + the odd charity shop. Almost everything traded is for a frequent and continuing need.

ian

« Reply #34 on: 06 March, 2018, 02:29:21 pm »
Ikea have made a bit of a theatre out of shopping, so they're a good example. You have the furnishing maze to navigate, you'll undoubtedly buy several things you never even knew you needed, get to admire the world's smallest bedroom and ponder whether somehow you've misplaced a spatial dimension that the Swedes haven't, and then you eat Swedish meatballs. Perhaps they're reindeer? And what the hell is a lingonberry sauce? It's an adventure in Nordic exoticism. Maybe when the Vikings came over they were 'what the hell's a pork pie?' Even navigating the self-service section is basically an interactive middle-class version of Tomb Raider. Whereas I mostly hate the experience, come on, there's the bonus schadenfreude theatre of standing by the window eating hot dogs and watching people try to tetris too much flat pack into too little car. That is well worth the half dozen hotdogs.

I guess high streets go two ways. The workaday, left-behind type with the betting shops, convenience stores, fried ratchicken and kebab emporia, and charity pop-ups. Or the the gentrified line of boutique coffee and artisanal delis. To be honest, I prefer the second, and they certainly inject a lot more cash into the local economy, whereas the former extract it.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #35 on: 06 March, 2018, 03:09:50 pm »
Most look to me like they combine both those 'ways'.

ian

« Reply #36 on: 06 March, 2018, 03:42:57 pm »
Most councils are terrified by the belief that if they any way impede the motor car the high street will be doomed (and many of the businesses conspire in this belief). Which is a odd belief, as the only thing that will save them is, by definition, local shopping and activity. They surveyed traffic locally as part of the development plan and it wasn't much of a surprise that most of traffic went straight through, and if stopped it was by a convenience store, fast food franchise, or cash machine (causing parking problems in the process; actual shoppers who drove use the car parks). No huge surprise that at the same time, the high street became less of a place to go, and instead – like most high streets – it's a gradual fall into the thrall to lottery ticket purchases and fast food, while charity shop pop-ups fill the gaps.

That said, as part of a business idea, I did check some the rents and they were stupidly high, so that's evidently driving the vacancy rates and encouraging chains. Even some simple maths made it clear that you'd need a lot of business to be sustainable. It's no surprise that every independent business that wasn't already established tends to disappear after a few months. The independent coffee shop, for instance, disappeared overnight. It's a Costa now.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #37 on: 06 March, 2018, 04:31:00 pm »
UK property prices have always worked against the independent retailer. In countries where rent & rates are a much lower part of the expenses bill you get more variety, more family businesses and fewer identikit high streets.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #38 on: 06 March, 2018, 05:24:27 pm »
It was eye-opening (and eye-watering) and certainly explained the vacancy rates. They recently built a granny farm that has two shop units (presumably part of the planning permissions). Likelihood of them being filled is close is low. In the decade since we left Brockley they'll still only managed to let one retail unit of the two (maybe three) in the development at the end of the road we lived on. The bigger unit on the other side the road turned into a Budgens or similar. I'm not sure if we passed peak convenience store some time back.

Anyway, short story was that no kind of spreadsheet optimism could make a small business sustainable at those rents, even with high margins it would require a lot of shoppers. And well, those potential shoppers are driving through on their way somewhere else.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #39 on: 06 March, 2018, 09:55:53 pm »
Just had a look at the tracking for my electric things; they've come from USAnia and are now in transit from Charles de Gaulle and due to arrive tomorrow.

The air miles are making me feel guilty. I think these bulbs have had three flights...

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #40 on: 07 March, 2018, 01:03:59 pm »
Interesting article on the financial reasons for Maplin's troubles. There's more to it than simple "no body uses the high street anymore"

http://www.coppolacomment.com/2018/03/the-sad-story-of-maplin-electronics.html?m=1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 07 March, 2018, 01:27:14 pm »
Interesting article on the financial reasons for Maplin's troubles. There's more to it than simple "no body uses the high street anymore"

http://www.coppolacomment.com/2018/03/the-sad-story-of-maplin-electronics.html?m=1

And people think electronics is complicated...

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #42 on: 07 March, 2018, 01:30:31 pm »

And people think electronics is complicated...
Finance, weird stuff. To think that you can just buy a company by making it the child company of another company, and give that other company a debt in value to the money you used to buy the company in the first place. Then charge 15% interest on that debt.

ian

« Reply #43 on: 07 March, 2018, 01:45:49 pm »
It's not really complicated though, it's just dressed up to seem that way. It's simply using debt to buy a company and in the process creating a corporate structure that enables that debt to be transferred to the company they've bought. Of course, you then use that company's profits (or assets) to pay the debt you've saddled them with, syphoning off interest and other fees through the 'tax efficient' corporate layer cake you've baked. Which works until the company isn't making enough to cover the debt or payments. In which case you 'put makeup on a corpse' and sell it for whatever you can get (if you can). The next owner will try the same tricks, or at the end of the game, do the usual fire-sale of what few assets remain, dodge the remaining pension liabilities, and exit stage left with the company in liquidation.

It's not big and not clever, but it's how debt financing primarily works for retail and low margin businesses, and of course makes a lot of money for the private equity that ices the cake. Which is the point.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #44 on: 07 March, 2018, 01:58:03 pm »
It's not really complicated though, it's just dressed up to seem that way. It's simply using debt to buy a company and in the process creating a corporate structure that enables that debt to be transferred to the company they've bought....
Maybe "abstract" rather than "complicated".

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #45 on: 07 March, 2018, 02:01:31 pm »

Toys R Us. The company had proved slow to respond to the rise of online shopping and the trend away from large out-of-town retail outlets in favour of small local shops. ... the trend towards localism is evident in the UK with the growth of convenience stores.
In a way, but there are still more and more out-of-town megamalls. And of course "localism" doesn't really mean anything, other than perhaps distribution of traffic, if the "local" is a "convenience store", aka Tesco, Co-op, Sainsbury, etc.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #46 on: 07 March, 2018, 03:43:22 pm »
Latest. New Look are closing 60 outlets in an attempt to stave off administration.

This is getting silly...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #47 on: 07 March, 2018, 04:11:55 pm »
It's not really complicated though, it's just dressed up to seem that way. It's simply using debt to buy a company and in the process creating a corporate structure that enables that debt to be transferred to the company they've bought. Of course, you then use that company's profits (or assets) to pay the debt you've saddled them with, syphoning off interest and other fees through the 'tax efficient' corporate layer cake you've baked. Which works until the company isn't making enough to cover the debt or payments. In which case you 'put makeup on a corpse' and sell it for whatever you can get (if you can). The next owner will try the same tricks, or at the end of the game, do the usual fire-sale of what few assets remain, dodge the remaining pension liabilities, and exit stage left with the company in liquidation.

It's not big and not clever, but it's how debt financing primarily works for retail and low margin businesses, and of course makes a lot of money for the private equity that ices the cake. Which is the point.
In other words, it's a shareholder economy, where increasing Shareholder value is not only king, but the only game in town.

The brief tenure of the stakeholder economy that we enjoyed after the second world war until Maggie and the rise of the neoliberal, was killed by Scargill and his ilk as they tried to consolidate their powerbases. This is a shame because this time of reign of the stakeholder economy saw a growth in meritocratic based social mobility and massive gains in the living standards for many.

I'm not sure how our children can bring about a change that previously took two world wars to enable, though I'm hopeful that greater communications enabled by the internet and social media will help their cause.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #48 on: 07 March, 2018, 04:13:56 pm »
It's not really complicated though, it's just dressed up to seem that way. It's simply using debt to buy a company and in the process creating a corporate structure that enables that debt to be transferred to the company they've bought....
Maybe "abstract" rather than "complicated".

There's a considerable degree of deliberate obfuscation in these kind of transactions, plus the jargon makes it opaque, but the concepts are simple enough. Private equity leverages its equity to buy businesses with debt. There's 101 ways to describe that debt, but it's debt and debt has to be serviced, to which the burden falls to the company purchased. Effectively they're paying for their own purchase. Of course, charging yourself interest is a profitable venture, so you may as well loan yourself some more money. And while you're at it, why not licence some the trademarks back to the company you've bought (as you've transferred them to a different business in your holding company), fees payable in a low tax domain, of course. Etc.

The major downside beyond the financial gerrymandering is that they don't have to care about the businesses they own, they're items on a spreadsheet, and if one fails then there's no significant pain beyond a goodwill write-off. Of course, it helps tremendously that debt is treated so favourably by tax laws, which both encourages and rewards these practices.

I wouldn't call this a 'shareholder' economy, these businesses tend to private or mostly so, vested in the private equity and funds that hold them. Shareholders at least have a stake in a company and that adds some democracy, albeit dilute.

(and yes, my employers are owned by private equity.)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #49 on: 08 March, 2018, 12:39:23 pm »
Yes, that's fairly abstract to me. You borrow money to buy something but instead of borrowing it from someone else, you borrow it from yourself and/or the person you're buying from. And it becomes more abstract when the purpose of the purchase is not to own something but to lend and borrow money.