Author Topic: In the so-called post today  (Read 2765 times)

In the so-called post today
« on: 06 June, 2018, 10:52:11 am »
1) leaflet from Anglian windows - the same people who’ve just installed the biggest eyesore of a front porch 5 doors down.
2) leaflet from McCarthy and Stone saying I should discover retirement living in Oakham. Based on the pictures therein of what I suppose is meant to be happy assisted living I’m going to google gift vouchers for Dignitas
3) Invitation from travel company extolling virtues of vintage train  travel to Bournemouth and back (only £189 including full English and Dinner) apparently a nostalgic trip enjoying train travel as it used to be...
Well, Mrs Oakhambike is from Bournemouth and as far as i can establish has no desire to go back - whole of Dorset is an open geriatric ward I seem to remember.
4) Leaflet from Dominos pizza - am astounded at how expensive they are! £20 for a mega mix of fat and processed cheese and ‘meat’.
5) Sundry catalogues for expensive female jumpers.

Now I’ve got that off my chest - Going to go out on my bike - was thinking of retiring completely but......

Old fat and slow

ian

Re: In the so-called post today
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2018, 11:15:50 am »
I too am shocked (shocked!) at the price of takeaway/delivered pizzas. The pricing only seems to work through the numerous, get-one-free or other deals, that just encourage people to buy junk food they don't want or need. I like a good dirty pizza, but the two I've had in recent years (Pizza Hut and Papa Johns) have been dispiriting experiences that I don't want to repeat, not even proper dirty, just tasteless and chewy. I had to check I wasn't eating the box. If you're used to a proper NYC slice, oh my, it's grim pummelling of your tastebuds. I've no idea how Britain made pizza so awful, it's a simple thing. Bread, sauce, cheese, some other bits in a hot oven. It's like they added a national sense of despair as a topping.

Nothing much in the porch today, one Chinese takeaway menu from about eight miles away. We get a lot of window company leaflets, consistent offers of Virgin cable (which isn't available on our street), BT television, lots of theatre flyers (my wife's fault, her Sadler's Wells season tickety thing evidently includes as much promotional junk as our porch can hold).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2018, 11:45:02 am »
Two copies of pizza, and two brown envelopes pertaining to a potential refund of >£3000 with "Delivered by Royal Mail" and "Marketing information enclosed" written on them in small print, all went directly to the recycling bin.

Student area so fast food, taxi and occasional clubbing spam are common.  As are chuggers and Virgin Media.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2018, 12:26:41 pm »
Royal Mail is a joke compared to what it was.  I suppose the posties are marginally more careful than MyHerpes but MyHerpes doesn't shove pizza, uPVC and estate agent spam through my door.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 06 June, 2018, 12:28:54 pm »
Ah yes.  I forgot about the mistake-agent spam.  "Our money-grubbing buy-to-let-landlords want to buy your money-grubbing buy-to-let landlord's house!" "That's nice."  *recycle bin*

ian

« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2018, 03:48:45 pm »
Oh yes, 'we have people looking for properties like yours right now.' Etc.

I don't think they do.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 06 June, 2018, 03:54:59 pm »
Royal Mail is a joke compared to what it was.  I suppose the posties are marginally more careful than MyHerpes but MyHerpes doesn't shove pizza, uPVC and estate agent spam through my door.
My postie from a couple of years ago, who now has a different round but who I knew from before he was a postie, said that he and some of his colleagues don't deliver that crap unless there's real post for you too. But they have to be careful about this because anything with an address, even if it is just "the legal occupier" or "new student!" counts as post in law – and even the unaddressed fliers have been paid for, so they can get in trouble (because RM can get in trouble) for not delivering it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 06 June, 2018, 04:38:51 pm »
Posties are paid extra to deliver said crap. Not much, but they are obliged to deliver it, nonetheless. When I was at RM, my manager was fastidious about every single item. I had to sign a sheet each week saying exactly how many of each item I had delivered. Maybe some delivery offices are more relaxed about the stuff. There is an opt-out service: https://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/D2D-Opt-Out-Application-Form-2015.pdf Don't read anything into the bit about them delivering anything useful with said crap, as I never did once in 18 months.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 06 June, 2018, 10:05:19 pm »
I am privileged to have my valet consign all this crap into recycling before I get the chance to scorn it.

I received two genuine items of mail today, which are as yet unopened.

I know hat they are and have reasons for waiting.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 07 June, 2018, 12:57:45 am »
A letter informing me of a clinic I am to attend to be subjected to the fitting of a CPAP machine; crap from Southend Borough Council inviting me to comment on a proposed town centre development scheme (I get these because I am a serial protester against "development" schemes. It allows the SBC to tick a regulatory box to say that they have had a "consultation". This means taking not a bind bit of notice of the vast majority of people who protest against their schemes); an invitation to a pal's 70th birthday party in a beach hut - sadly, this clashes with something my cousin is organising. Probably some other financial stuff.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #10 on: 07 June, 2018, 06:43:02 am »
I was slightly fooled by a scam a couple of years ago. A printed notice informing me that a registered letter was available for pickup at my local sorting office. I took time to go down to said sorting office and had to pay to get the letter. The letter was one of those "You have won a prize" types, publicising holidays as I remember. The scam is that the senders can pick up a bunch of registered letter labels from a Post Office, but they dont fill in the part you hand over the counter. So the recipient gets what looks like notice of an important registered letter.

« Reply #11 on: 07 June, 2018, 10:47:54 am »
On the other hand, posties at my DO were encouraged to look out for vulnerable customers - mainly OAPs - who received a lot of malicious spam; i.e. fake lottery letters and the like. These folk were pointed out to the powers that be who had a line to the council to send someone round to ensure they weren't falling for the predators' tricks. I would personally point out to people that the items were fit for binning and nothing else.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2018, 12:56:39 pm »
Boiler breakdown cover spam to "The Boiler Owner" yesterday.

Although it's "proper" post addressed to me, Thames Water send me about 4 junk letters a year trying to get me to sign up for plumbing cover.  And Crisis and the Sally Army spam me mercilessly because I donated a Christmas meal for a tramp.  Any future donations are going in a collection box, anonymously.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 07 June, 2018, 01:37:38 pm »
I have received genuine post from real friends today.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2018, 01:57:11 pm »
I won't know what post we've received today until I get home form work this evening. :(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15 on: 07 June, 2018, 09:40:11 pm »
It turned out to have relevant content, the post did today. A small academic tome on the subject of death and culture that Dr Beardy (Mrs) had requested I purchase at considerable cost1 and propaganda paper from the Royal Collage of Nursing addressed Ms Beardy the younger. I do think it is time that she informed them that she no longer resides at this address. I expect that there will be a second copy of the same in tomorrow’s post addressed to Dr Beardy (Mrs)!

1. Fourty of the BRITONS pounds for a slim paperback as you ask.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #16 on: 08 June, 2018, 08:33:57 pm »
Bumper doormat today.

Windows x 2.
Pizza x 3
Chinese takeaway x1
Indian takeaway x 2
Estate agents x1
Virgin cable
BT television
Donkey sanctuary (to previous owner)
New Scientist (at least I wanted that, I have intellectual bog reading tastes)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #17 on: 08 June, 2018, 10:11:36 pm »
Reissued medical letters with correct headers - only 12 months after they were promised...

Estate agents wanting our house.

Keeping a paper recycling by the door is so good cos spam goes straight in there. I stole the envelope from some PPI spam to hand deliver a letter to my GP... I keep wondering what shite I could put in freepost envelopes of spammy shit.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #18 on: 09 June, 2018, 01:45:39 am »
TBH if junk mail helps support a universal daily delivery service, then I’m all for it.

The giving off of profitable mainstream routes to private companies has buggered up the capability to provide the above.
It is simpler than it looks.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #19 on: 09 June, 2018, 08:16:07 am »
TBH if junk mail helps support a universal daily delivery service, then I’m all for it.
Yup.  When I worked for Royal Mail (over 20 years ago) I made a particularly scathing comment to one of my colleagues about the junk mail and he gave me chapter and verse on how much it subsidised the "real" mail.   Try and think of it in the same way as the adverts that mean your internets are cheaper than they might otherwise be; irritating but (mostly) harmless. 

Other things to consider; people are paid to produce this stuff as are the people who take it away for recycling and those who recycle it. I daresay the pay for a lot of those jobs is not all it should be and there is a serious discussion to be had about the environmental impact of it all, but in a week when 11,000* retail jobs were consigned to the bin I'd not want anyone else to lose their job, no not even an estate agent, no matter how irrelevant to my life and needs their work seems to be.

*I'm assuming PoundWorld won't survive as seems highly likely.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20 on: 13 June, 2018, 12:35:52 pm »

The giving off of profitable mainstream routes to private companies has buggered up the capability to provide the above.
Good point.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #21 on: 13 June, 2018, 02:51:56 pm »
On Saturday 2nd June I had a bank statement. Since then absolutely 0 has been pushed through my letter-box.

Nobody loves me, not even Donimoes Piss Pizzas or Crapita.  :'(
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #22 on: 13 June, 2018, 04:04:42 pm »
You don't know when you're well off!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: 13 June, 2018, 09:40:16 pm »
I have had three proper items of mail today.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #24 on: 13 June, 2018, 10:07:59 pm »
I don't open the post box as part of my anxiety management strategy.