Author Topic: "violence broke out at a cycling festival in Manchester"  (Read 1094 times)

Re: "violence broke out at a cycling festival in Manchester"
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2018, 11:11:48 am »
Apparently the Italians brought over their cycling culture to Eritrea in the 1930s when it was a colony, and the country produces small numbers of international cyclists; Daniel Teklehaimanot is currently the most prominent. Wonder what the relationship of the festival was to the Eritrean government, which is one of the most repressive regimes in the world.

« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2018, 11:14:34 am »
Wonder what the relationship of the festival was to the Eritrean government, which is one of the most repressive regimes in the world.
I have read anecdote that the gov't of Eritrea is keen on using cycling to promote a positive image of the country. I might be being unnecessarily cynical and this certainly doesn't excuse what looks like an unjustifiable use of violence as protest, but very much echo this question.

« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2018, 11:36:24 am »
I remember coming across the African Continental Road Cycling Championship on satellite TV several years ago from Addis Ababa.  The crowd for the mens race was just huge. 

I think one of the RSA riders won it.