Author Topic: Wrist sprain advice  (Read 1194 times)

Wrist sprain advice
« on: 18 July, 2018, 04:12:57 pm »
I somehow managed to sprain or do other damage to my wrist. I felt it at the time but it kind of went. Then two days later it came back worse. Now I can make it click OK ways I've never managed to do before.

It is kind of a pulled wrist sprain if that makes any sense.

Basically I just need to know what I should do to help it mend. Should I put a tubigrip bandage on it or one of those sprain/elastic wrist bandages you can get to support the joint.or just give it time and be patient?

Re: Wrist sprain advice
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2018, 04:34:09 pm »
Rest
Ice
NSAIDS
repeat

If worried take a seat in A&E for a few days and you will be told Rest, Ice, NSAIDS.  Eventually it will either get better or you will find an expert to make a diagnosis

« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2018, 04:45:46 pm »
A&E? If I can get to the gp during the day (bunking off work) I'll get quicker treatment if scans or xrays needed. Local gp x-ray service at the hospital is seriously efficient. GP gives me a printed sticker. I drive 10 miles to hospital and walk through a few maze like tunnels and corridors to an out of the way x-ray department. I hand sticker over and get taken straight in to xray. Last two times took less than 5 minutes and 2 minutes dead from entering reception area to walking out of x-ray suite on opposite side of corridor.

Then a call to gp hour later and he or she tells me everything OK just so x, y or z.

All done in a couple of hours during which time most of it is spent outside a medical establishment.

I this case it's just a funny, clicky wrist sprain I think. Too late for ice since it was done Sunday. Rest is hard if you're using your hand all the time at work. NSAIDs. Ibuprofen I guess. Might take one after dinner.

Do compression bandages or supports offer anything or are they frowned upon now?

« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2018, 05:13:47 pm »
Sorry, I was being a bit tongue in cheek.

At this stage after 3-4 days, I would just see what happens.  With no major incident to cause the problem i think it will settle on its own.  If you find a bandage helpful there is no reason not to use one

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2018, 08:52:35 pm »
This all sounds rather vague to me! Can you remember what happened? Do you know what you were doing then or when the pain came back?

As chris says, this will probably settle in time but I really have no idea of what happened or what is going on.

« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2018, 11:06:36 pm »
I was giving my son a piggyback and then I noticed my wrist  had kind of stretched. I have no idea what caused it or when exactly. Only I noticed it hurt when I lowered him down. He's 5 yo and 19/20kg so not exactly heavy.

I guess I falling apart!  :)

I only noticed a bit of pain when I lowered my son so I can only guess it happened then. Afterwards it was a bit of discomfort but that died down. A few days later it came back and a bit more pain than the day it happened. Plus it now clicks. What's clicking in the wrist when I rotate my hand around in a circle?

PS Hellymedic, I tried to reply but far fingers meant first attempt resulted in me reporting your post. Well nearly, I went back a page so didn't submit the accidental report.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 18 July, 2018, 11:34:43 pm »
Does not sound serious to me.
Suspect this is one of those things that will settle in time.
I've not usually been too concerned about joints that click (I can click quite a few of my own!) UNLESS there's pain, instability or 'jamming'/locking of the joint.

« Reply #7 on: 19 July, 2018, 08:56:11 am »
I've never been a joint clicking kind of person. They just don't click for me even when I try to click them like some ppl do. That's why I worry about that.

It's got a little better then worse when I drove into work guess it's better to ride my recumbent into work. A more comfortable hand position. Any excuse!

Out of ibuprofen too. Typical. I guess nature and time will have to do.