Author Topic: Chain cleaning/Lubing  (Read 8830 times)

cpjmathieson

Chain cleaning/Lubing
« on: 26 January, 2009, 07:29:40 pm »
Being fairly new to the cycling world....how often should you/Do you clean and lube your chain??
What methods and lubes recommended.....I currently clean once every one to two months, clean old grime off with WD40 and rag and then re lube using cycle oil, just trying finish line wet lube at the mo.

Re: Chain cleaning/Lubing
« Reply #1 on: 26 January, 2009, 07:36:42 pm »
You're about to find out that everyone has their own way of doing this because there simply isn't any one single correct answer.

I clean mine about every 1000km using a jar of white spirit and an old toothbrush. I don't bother wiping it down inbetween these deep cleans.

Once I've got it clean looking I'll put it back on the bike and relube with Finish Line Wet.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2009, 08:31:12 am »
How often? Err. How long is a piece of string? It'll depend how much crap your chain picks up which will vary according to one or all of the following:

- How wet the weather is.
 - How filthy the roads are (surprising how much filth you can gather on a country road).
 - The type of lubricant you use.
 - Other stuff I've forgotten which someone else will fill in.

It's probably (to borrow an RCM term or two) an 'on condition' rather than a 'scheduled' task.

As to cleaning, consensus hereabouts seems to be; unship the chain, shoogle it in a jar of your favourite degreaser (paraffin/white spirit/diesel/other), refix and 'oil' with your preferred lubricant.  A lot of people hereabouts go for either Finish Line Wet (green top) or Purple, but it's all a matter of what works best for you and that's going to require a little trial and error.

This is a perennial topic. If you hunt around the forum you'll find other posts discussing this.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2009, 08:40:31 am »
When? The point in time at which I can be arsed and the need is there, coincide.

How? Chain off, into a jar of diesel, Slosh Slosh Slosh.

Lube? Finish Line Wet, or Chainsaw Oil for the 1/8ths.

Chris N

« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2009, 09:03:55 am »
I've stopped cleaning mine - just a wipe with a rag when it's filthy/noisy/rusty and bung more lube on.  Single speed drivetrains are much more forgiving than multi geared setups - and I treat chains as consumables.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 27 January, 2009, 09:06:27 am »
When mine gets wet (from rain or washing), I let it dry a bit, then use WD40 followed by a spray lube like TF3 once it's dripped through.

Otherwise, it gets the occasional lube.

And I like to buy a new chain every year, though, if I'm honest, even on the hard-used chains (commuter/tourer & tandem) it's every other year.
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 27 January, 2009, 09:13:36 am »
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #7 on: 27 January, 2009, 10:28:17 am »
Muc off degreaser in a chain bath, like the Park or BBB one.  Takes 2 minutes.  Apply lube later when chain dry.  I use dry lube if its dry and wet lube if its wet.  ;)  Personally, I find Pedros Synlube to be my favourite wet lube as it seems to stay clean and lube better for longer.  That White Lightening stuff is shit.

I ride everyday, often through mud and shit on lanes.  I clean my chain at least once a week in winter (so every 150 miles, if I'm just commuting)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #8 on: 27 January, 2009, 10:40:55 am »
Once a week:

dribble on a nice wetting of Prolink gold lube, backpedal to run chain for a minute or two.
wipe off by running chain through my chain cloth.

Result: sparkling clean chain all the time, even in winter. No muck buildup on the chain. Minor muck on the jockey wheels and sprockets - scrubbed off every 6 months or 3000 miles or thereabouts.

An "expensive" lube but a 32 oz can has lasted me years so far..

cpjmathieson

« Reply #9 on: 27 January, 2009, 10:43:31 am »
 :thumbsup: CHEERS :thumbsup: I'll look through the other threads!

« Reply #10 on: 27 January, 2009, 03:54:13 pm »
Well my new bike is about six years old. I don't believe in taking the chain off unless it's knackered.

My simple process is turn the bike over, clean the chain with an old toothbrush. I use some parafin in a plastic container plus some rags to protect the bike. When the chain is reasonably clean, wipe it with an old rag and lightly oil with 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #11 on: 27 January, 2009, 06:40:25 pm »
Depends on the bike. The commuter gets a load of fresh lube on the chain, plus a good long wipe with a rag. Rarely anything more (and it keeps pretty clean that way). Similar to pdm.

The cross bike gets mud and sand and stuff all over the chain so it's a degrease in a chain-cleaning bath followed by running through a sponge with hot soapy water until it stops feeling gritty.

The TT bike gets like the commuter but with the occasional thorough clean because I like it to be shiny. Road bike similarly so.

« Reply #12 on: 27 January, 2009, 11:52:17 pm »
Here we go again  ;D

I lube every 100 miles with a Wax Lube (ljerams will be along in a minute to say use 3-in-1 oil).  I have forgotten before and gone up to 500 or 600 miles between lubes.

Cleaning?  I did it once out of interest...  that chain has over 10,000 miles on it now, I wonder if I should do it again?

« Reply #13 on: 28 January, 2009, 01:31:35 pm »
I used a wax lube on a 200k last saturday, it was totally useless after about 150k, dry and squeaky.  The stuff appeared to have just dried and fallen off.  I wonder if the near zero temps had a part to play.

« Reply #14 on: 28 January, 2009, 01:35:11 pm »
I had to lube the chain this morning (with Finish Line Wet) as it was squeaking like a squeaky thing coming back from football last night.

That's 540km of winter riding since its last lube. It's kept indoors when not in use (except for a few hours whilst playing football or in the pub) and is ridden in all weathers, including endless rain.

« Reply #15 on: 28 January, 2009, 04:50:53 pm »
Here we go again  ;D

I lube every 100 miles with a Wax Lube (ljerams will be along in a minute to say use 3-in-1 oil).  I have forgotten before and gone up to 500 or 600 miles between lubes.

Cleaning?  I did it once out of interest...  that chain has over 10,000 miles on it now, I wonder if I should do it again?

Wakey wakey, I was two posts ahead of you :P

« Reply #16 on: 28 January, 2009, 06:09:31 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Whoops, I slide past that post in my freshly lubed state.  Unable to stop and take note ;D

memo to self, take those photos of the tandem and fixie that are spattered with 3-in-1 where you tried the 3-in-1 oil again.

« Reply #17 on: 28 January, 2009, 08:09:08 pm »
Oh FFS. Just get a room you two (and lube yourself up with a mixture of 3-in-1 and Finish Line Wet).

« Reply #18 on: 29 January, 2009, 02:14:39 am »
Does a mixture work OK? :P

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #19 on: 29 January, 2009, 07:07:17 am »
Here we go again  ;D

Which wax lube do you use (I thinking of trying clean ride while I have a relatively clean chain).

How does it do in the wet - do you re-apply more often?

« Reply #20 on: 30 January, 2009, 01:00:07 am »
I used White Lightning original.

No real issues in wet or dry.  One of the rides was a week of commuting, a 600K Audax which included 16 hours of rain, and then another week of commuting when the first squeak reminded me that it had been a considerable time since I last lubed up.

Other people's experience with this lube hasn't been as good; hence me not naming it upthread.  But I love it.

ps, for ljerams - me chain's squeaking and rattling on the fixie.  Last lubed 150 miles ago with 3-in-1.  The rear wheel and frame are covered in oil now :(

« Reply #21 on: 30 January, 2009, 02:39:32 am »
You must have bought some fake 3 in 1 ;D

In 50 years, I've never had any of your problems :P

Even Thai 3 in 1 performs better than you report.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #22 on: 26 May, 2016, 12:53:25 pm »
Thread resurrection: herewith the most complicated chain cleaning plan imaginable.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

tee hee
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #23 on: 26 May, 2016, 02:21:11 pm »
Recent convert to "Rock N Roll. Lubrication"
Well happy with it.
 Squirt it on liberally and regularly. It claims to be a cleaner as well as a lube. The drive chain has stayed much cleaner than prior lubes I have used.
 You get an audible sound when pedaling when using this stuff , not dissimilar to the whistling of a dry chain (to my old ears anyway)
Once you realize that its not a creaking chain, the sound is kind of cool.

I used to use Phils tenacious, and everything stuck to it.  Its basically too tenacious.

often lost.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #24 on: 26 May, 2016, 02:45:48 pm »
I treat chains as disposable items.  I may lube (Finish Line Wet Weather) but I replace them rather than clean them.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll