Author Topic: Pencil fetish  (Read 71721 times)

Re: Pencil fetish
« Reply #50 on: 01 September, 2010, 11:58:42 pm »
This Pencil Kills Facists   ;D

I must see if I can get some of these on the next stationery order, one of my colleagues would not be amused...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #51 on: 02 September, 2010, 01:34:14 pm »
When I am rich a Yard-O-Led Deco34 will fulfil all my graphite needs.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 02 September, 2010, 05:28:51 pm »
This Pencil Kills Facists   ;D

I must see if I can get some of these on the next stationery order, one of my colleagues would not be amused...

Must.  Have.
Getting there...

« Reply #53 on: 01 October, 2010, 01:21:28 pm »
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #54 on: 09 January, 2011, 05:28:36 pm »
Is there a fixative or the like that can be used to stop pencil smudging on something that is likely to be handled/get rubbed a bit?
For example - on a handmade card.

« Reply #55 on: 09 January, 2011, 05:41:50 pm »
Thankyou!

« Reply #56 on: 10 January, 2011, 12:00:03 am »
Do not go to Keswick then, they have BIG pencils there

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #57 on: 13 January, 2011, 02:28:17 pm »
My pencil toolkit

Classic Staedtler, most often found tucked behind my ear and incredibly drop-proof.

Pentel Technica-X PW45 0.5mm mechanical pencil. A recent addition after an unfortunate accident involving a storm drain  :facepalm: I actually like it more than my previous Pentel Thingamejig as this one retracts the nib if you click the top biro-style, which makes it suit-pocket friendly and less prone to damage. A little click of the button advances the lead a nice small increment and it is very nice to hold too. Currently equipped with HB lead. £3.19 :thumbsup:

Maped Alu bodied sharpener.

I prefer a normal pencil, like my Staedtler, for everyday use at my desk, but the mechanical wins in terms of carry-ability and in meetings where whipping out the pencil sharpner isn't practical.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #58 on: 13 January, 2011, 03:27:32 pm »
My latest acquisition:

Pen Pusher

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: 13 January, 2011, 04:40:05 pm »
*drool*
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #60 on: 15 January, 2011, 08:28:04 pm »
Whatever happened to clutch pencils and rotary sharpeners. Not all new things are better thinks.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

robbo6

« Reply #61 on: 15 January, 2011, 11:52:32 pm »
I bought a Faber-Castell clutch pencil for 2 mm lead not long ago. I don't feel inclined to use a rotary sharpener on it though.

Jacomus

« Reply #62 on: 17 January, 2011, 01:51:54 pm »
I have just equipped my new mechanical pencil with 4B lead, maybe I should have gone for the 2B :-\
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #63 on: 17 January, 2011, 02:59:45 pm »
I'd love to have one that doesn't stop working when the lead is near the end and requires me to remove the last 5mm with my finger .... like my crap Pentel 0.5.  Someone please invent a pen that runs on liquid graphite that can be rubbed out.
Old enough to know better!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #64 on: 17 January, 2011, 03:32:32 pm »
May I recommend to the cogniscenti...

Cretacolor Monoliths

Fab pencils!  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #65 on: 17 January, 2011, 03:57:44 pm »
I have a box of these that I'm about halfway through:

They're awesome.

Are you an ex-smoker?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #66 on: 17 January, 2011, 05:13:31 pm »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the constipated mathematician joke yet......

Jacomus

« Reply #67 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:24:34 am »
I've switched from the Norris to the Tradition pencils. I can't really describe why the Traditions are nicer, they just are.

http://www.staedtler.co.uk/tradition_uk

« Reply #68 on: 10 April, 2012, 10:17:10 am »
I like the Staedtler yellow and blacks too - they are like the BIC Crystal of pencils; low tech, but work incredibly well. My hate is cheap supermarket 10-for-a-quid type pencils, that don't sharpen properly and always seem to have leads that are broken into 15mm long sections rather than being one continuous piece.

I know some people with recoil with horror at not using something made of wood that necessitates carrying sharp implements to keep in working order, but my everyday pencil for work is a 0.5mm mechanical pencil (Parker Sonnet Cisele).

I love both the Cisele looks (my main fountain pen is a 1960s vintage Parker 75 Cisele) and nice tactile grip the etched squares give; the thickness is just right for me too, slim pens and mechanical pencils just don't feel comfortable when I use them for extended periods.

I have a soft spot for the classic black Pentels (205?) that I used to use, but they do bite when you put them in a pocket due to the non-retractible sleeve.

« Reply #69 on: 10 April, 2012, 11:13:16 am »
Re the last two posts;

I much prefer Staedtler Mars Lumographs! Although Noris and Tradition are excellent (and Noris is particularly good value), Lumograph is the Campagnolo Record of pencils.

The sleeve on the Pentel P200 series is a problem. I've bent a couple, rendering them useless. My solution is to carry them in a box*, neverin a pocket.

*Really Useful Boxes (at the opposite end of the range from Kim's trailer box, An idea I'll take on someday. Thanks to Kim) has some of the right size and shape for a bunch of pencils and pens.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #70 on: 10 April, 2012, 12:13:41 pm »
I have always preferred pencils to pens for notes & scribbles at work & home. Like Staedtler, but recently invested in a Rotring Rapid Pro 0.7mm; fully retractable, sprung point so no more breakages & gets more use out of leads. Lovely.

snail

• Inch by inch.
« Reply #71 on: 10 April, 2012, 12:29:16 pm »
You are not allowed pencil sharpeners in certain categories of prison, or they are locked away and handled under supervision.

Really sharp pencils are fine, though.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #72 on: 10 April, 2012, 12:44:55 pm »
To be fair, it's entirely possible to do yourself a seriously bleedy injury using the blade of a pencil sharpener (DAHIKT).  I expect they're more popular amongst those with suicidal intentions than really sharp pencils.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #73 on: 10 April, 2012, 12:59:44 pm »
To be fair, it's entirely possible to do yourself a seriously bleedy injury using the blade of a pencil sharpener (DAHIKT).

Very much so - made all the more embarrassing by fainting at the sight of one's own blood as I stood up in a maths class when I was 12 to ask if I could go visit the nurse as I'd just cut my finger quite badly dicking about with a pencil sharpener.......

I have nothing much more to add to the thread even though I use a pencil for all of my note-taking and drawing for work - Pentel P205 all the way.  2H.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #74 on: 10 April, 2012, 01:07:27 pm »
Ah, I was 11, the class was English, and the priority at the time was to staunch the flow and reassemble the incriminating pencil sharpener while somehow avoiding the teacher noticing.  The school was in the middle of penknife hysteria, so the risk from getting caught was far greater than that of the injury itself.  Fortunately the girl with bad hayfever on the next table had a copious supply of tissues...