Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 227220 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #975 on: 11 February, 2018, 06:45:00 pm »
A-ha in Oslo last night. 32 years later than I wanted to go but still good and the arrangements were much less cheesy. :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #976 on: 11 February, 2018, 07:39:58 pm »
I can never hear that name without immediately thinking of Alan Partridge.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #977 on: 25 February, 2018, 07:12:11 am »
Cara Dillon @ Somborne Sessions

My wife’s favourite singer at village hall 20 minutes down the road from my parents. With free baby(well teenage) and dog sitting could hardly say no!

Somborne Sessions run a few gigs of mainly folk in the village hall to raise money for the village and have had a great range of acts and a real ale bar. Another plus!

Cara was supported by husband Sam on keyboards and guitar. He apologised for playing his backup Guitar, a Martin as his Taylor had broken. Nice choice to have!

She sang a range of her repertoire mainly from the new album but also spanning her career back to when I first saw her in about 2002. AAs before her voice was beautiful and well supporteddd by Sam’s understated guitar and keyboards.

Had and a brief chat with Sam in the interval where he was able to date the first time I saw them.

All in all a great night, they’re still touring so I’d go and see them if they’re near you.

fuzzy

« Reply #978 on: 01 March, 2018, 11:17:35 pm »
Last Friday night- Erasure at the Hammersmith Apollo.

Absolutley chuffing great. Andy Bell giving it his all and the crowd joining in. What a night :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #979 on: 04 March, 2018, 12:26:44 am »
The mighty Amplifier at the smaller version of the Islington Academy.  If there was any justice in this world they would be in LA driving groupies into swimming pools, snorting Cadillacs and throwing cocaine out of hotel windows before filling mega-stadia, rather than getting so close to the audience that frontman Sel Balamir actually rubbed his SG against my nose :thumbsup: Rock and, moreover, roll.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #980 on: 11 March, 2018, 01:36:19 am »
Snap decision to potter up to Milton Keynes to see the mighty Amplifier for the second time in a week.  Bigger stage allowed Sel Balamir to jump about without Smiting anyone with his guitar.  Also he's had a haircut, and confirmed that absent bassist Alex "Magnum" Redhead1 is indeed pregnant, "with the Spawn of Satan".

1: Magnum, BTW, is a bloke.

fuzzy

« Reply #981 on: 28 March, 2018, 08:34:57 pm »
The Stranglers at The Hexagon in Reading last night.
Supported by Therapy, from Norn Ireland.

My ears are still ringing :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #982 on: 15 April, 2018, 09:16:39 am »
Nathaniel Rateliffe and the Night Sweats at Manchester Albert Hall, last night. Fantastic venue, carp beer and an outstanding band.

Support from Slim Cessna's Auto Club, a strange mix of Nick Cave, C&W and rock.

The main act did a mixed set taken from all their albums, including one from one of the solo albums. There were people there who were obviously only there to here one song, as they shouted for it after every single song! Why do people do that?

I had a bit of a problem with some Monkey Hangers who thought that they could magically make space in front of me by barging past, more than a few drinks were spilled (not mine, I learnt a long time ago not to take drinks into the crowd) but none of it spoilt the evening for myself, Mrs T or TLD. For the latter it was her first proper gig.

In short, go see them, or at least try to go to Albert Hall for a gig.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #983 on: 15 April, 2018, 12:11:08 pm »
When the unruly mob calls for a particular tune at HMHB gigs, Nigel is wont to reply "Yeah, that's one of ours!"

A sarky comment about Metallica by Amplifier's Sel Balamir at a recent gig led to repeated calls for "Enter Sandman" ;D

« Reply #984 on: 17 April, 2018, 09:01:48 am »
Arcade Fire at the Hydro in Glasgow.
They had a boxing ring setup for the stage which i thought was a bit gimmicky at first but it worked really well for the show, and although the sound wasn't great where we were sitting, it was a fantastic show. One of the best in a while.

Arcade Fire gig at the hydro by sg310, on Flickr

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #985 on: 17 April, 2018, 01:00:10 pm »
Arcade Fire: I would have liked to see that gig.

PaulF

« Reply #986 on: 18 April, 2018, 11:55:45 pm »
Just got back from one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to!

Featuring the classic bluegrass  lineup of guitar, banjo, mandolin and, er, cello they have their own blend of high energy punk/bluegrass

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a band so obviously enjoy themselves so much on stage.

Think they’ve got a few more UK dates left!

« Reply #987 on: 19 April, 2018, 08:57:14 am »
Sounds up my street but no scottish dates.

PaulF

« Reply #988 on: 19 April, 2018, 09:11:07 am »
Sounds up my street but no scottish dates.

They're sold out anyway! But apparently back in February.

For those that don't know them these guys are to bluegrass what the Pogues are to Irish folk music

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #989 on: 20 April, 2018, 10:22:22 pm »
I'm watching this week's UC semi-final, where one team clearly has no-one who knows the lyrics to R.E.M.'s It's the end of the world ...

What is the world coming to?  In fact, it really must be the end of the world.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #990 on: 22 April, 2018, 11:42:32 pm »
Last night, our choir's spring concert.

First half: Mozart Clarinet concerto, soloist: William Knight.

Second half: Mozart C minor mass.

I don't think I have ever heard such a polished performance of the clarinet concerto. Absolutely wonderful, with a few decoration of notes that I had never heard anyone else attempt. William Knight is a former pupil of Westcliff High School for Boys, and I reckon he could well become a household name. Benjamin Grosvenor is another Old Westcliffian. Whether the school has anything to do with the production of such fine performers, or whether it's more to do with private tuition and sheer talent, I don't know.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #991 on: 24 April, 2018, 11:08:51 pm »
Just been to see Gomez playing Bring it On (and some other things), 20 years on. Still really rather good.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #992 on: 25 April, 2018, 06:02:59 am »
I'm watching this week's UC semi-final, where one team clearly has no-one who knows the lyrics to R.E.M.'s It's the end of the world ...

What is the world coming to?  In fact, it really must be the end of the world.

I don't know the lyrics to it either but still managed to answer the questions.  Worse by far were the numpties who misidentified Led Zeppelin as Oasis the other week.

« Reply #993 on: 26 April, 2018, 12:26:48 pm »
Last Sunday as part of my fathers 70th birthday do we went to see Tom Paxton and the Donjuans play at the Haymarket Basingstoke.

My siblings, niece, nephew and I worked hard to reduce  the average age of the audience but the five of us only had a marginal impact as most were more my parents age. The music was good with some strong close harmony singing and the audience being encouraged to join in with many choruses.

Interesting to see musicians sharing a guitar on stage.

In a couple of weeks I will be going to see Eric Bibb's migration Blues tour. Much more to my taste.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #994 on: 10 May, 2018, 12:12:18 pm »
Don McLean at the London Palladium, last night.

In the '70s, McLean was a consummate solo performer, competent on guitar and banjo and with an easy-going dialogue with hits audience.

Now he isn't. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that this was the worst gig by a major artist that I've attended since I endured Genesis at Wembley Arena in 1981.  And that's saying something.

The first problem last night was that instead of the solo performer, we had Mclean on guitar plus a 5-piece backing band (2 guitars, bass and keyboards). If you listen to McLean's solo performances, one of the enduring qualities is the fluidity in his guitar accompaniments and the way his vocals often slip in and out of the rhythm without ever being out of time. Last night every song seemed to be accompanied in workmanlike 4/4, apart from the keyboards, which often sounded to be several beats behind the band and several bars before the singer.

Second problem: the sound. Overamplified for a venue with good acoustics and harshly mixed, so that the bass was lost completely in a cacophony of strained vocals and trebly guitar. It was actually physically painful to hear and I soon worked out that everything sounded much better if I put my fingers in my ears, at which point the harshness was alleviated and the vocals actually sounded OK.  Even when we were leaving (see below) it could still be heard in the theatre lobby and sounded just as bad.

Third problem: The material.  McLean is billed as a "legendary singer-songwriter" and, if you like his style, he has written more than enough good songs over the years to fill an evening. Last night, we had a self-indulgent parade of mediocre covers and third-rate compositions, interspersed with only the occasional worthwhile piece. It was rather like listening to an average house band in a Nashville bar.  By 10.15, a fair number of the audience members had left and we had stood up to join them when he launched into American Pie. At this point, most of the audience stood up (in relief, perhaps) and it became impossible to leave our seats.  Never my favourite of his songs, we endured the 10 minutes or so that it lasted (extended by a pointless guitar solo) only for him to start the damn thing again!  Happily, that was for just a couple of verses and we were able to escape as he lurched into another cover version.

I don't know for how much longer he carried on; we were just glad to be out and into the comparative quiet of Oxford Street!

Luckily I still have my recording of his solo shows to remind me of the good old days and, hopefully, the memory of this one can be buried, very very deep.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

PaulF

« Reply #995 on: 10 May, 2018, 12:18:44 pm »
And another trip to Ardington last night, this time to see Eddi Reader. Superb as always. Plus a great support slot from Siobhan Miller

« Reply #996 on: 10 May, 2018, 01:33:28 pm »

...In fact, I'd go so far as to say that this was the worst gig by a major artist that I've attended since I endured Genesis at Wembley Arena in 1981. 

I'd love to hear your review of that, if it was worse!  I suppose that must have been Abacab-ish?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #997 on: 10 May, 2018, 04:43:32 pm »

...In fact, I'd go so far as to say that this was the worst gig by a major artist that I've attended since I endured Genesis at Wembley Arena in 1981. 

I'd love to hear your review of that, if it was worse!  I suppose that must have been Abacab-ish?

It was.

I didn't write anything at the time but I do recall that at one point I went to the loo and decided to stop off and have a coffee before going back in to the arena.  I had seen them three or four times before and, as a long-time fan, thoroughly enjoyed it, but on this night most of what they played from the Abacab album was dire and the selection of older material was unimaginative and repeated stuff that had been played on the previous tours.  The rendition of Firth of Fifth was particularly awful for anyone who had heard them play it when Steve Hackett was still in the band.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #998 on: 10 May, 2018, 05:07:00 pm »
Heather Small

Fantastic night and her voice remains as stunning as ever and she also looked absolutely stunning, although the energy she puts into her performance no doubt helps and she clearly visits the gym.

I thanked the 'sound man' at the end as they can be the make or break of any gig as identified by Redlight upthread; he got it just right.

« Reply #999 on: 11 May, 2018, 05:56:38 pm »
Just been to see Gomez playing Bring it On (and some other things), 20 years on. Still really rather good.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

We did that too. A mighty fine evening, rounded out by accidentally bumping into a very old acquaintance when we had a sneaky pint afterwards (in the building Thing1 first heard the album the week it came out).
California Dreaming