Author Topic: Watersports thread  (Read 2396 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Watersports thread
« on: 14 February, 2013, 12:12:57 pm »
I loved watching the diving, both solo and synchro, at last year's Olympics and 4 years before that. The FINA World Series are coming to Edinburgh in April, to the newly refurbished Commonwealth Pool and I've just got tickets for 4 finals - men's and women's 3m springboard solo, 3m springboard synchro, 10m platform solo and 10m platform synchro. I am looking forward to it a lot.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Watersports thread
« Reply #1 on: 14 February, 2013, 12:16:05 pm »
Well done getting tickets.  With Tom Daley's successes, and the recent TV series, I imagine that the seats, which would normally have been all but empty even for the top level of diving competition, will be pretty near full.
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2013, 08:34:06 pm »
Bobb and I watched the synchro finals today - men's and women's 3m springboard and 10m platform. GB women got silver in the 3m springboard, and the men got bronze. The Chinese divers were fantastic and took gold in everything except the 10m men's, which went to the Russians.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2013, 04:04:36 pm »
3m springboard finals tonight. We didn't watch the semis this morning (snerk) but I followed them a bit on twitter and the Chinese are beating everyone by miles.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2013, 04:08:49 pm »
What's the refurbed pool like?
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #5 on: 20 April, 2013, 04:15:27 pm »
Pretty good. It's my local pool and I swim there four or five times a week. http://www.edinburghleisure.co.uk/venues/royal-commonwealth-pool

They lengthened the 50m pool to 51m and put a 1m boom in it, which they can move up to halfway to make 2x25m pools. The floor is moveable so they can have it all at 2m deep or half at 2m and half at 1.25m.  The diving pool is 25m long with 1m springboard, 3 m springboard, and 5, 7.5 and 10m platforms. It has a moveable floor too. The teaching pool is 25m and I think it has a moveable floor too.

« Reply #6 on: 20 April, 2013, 04:26:52 pm »
Movable floor in a swimming pool? Sounds just like Tracey Island!
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim KrabbĂ©. Possibly

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #7 on: 21 April, 2013, 08:29:40 pm »
We saw the 3m springboard finals last night, which were good, and tonight we saw the 10m platform finals. In the women's, GB Tonia Couch came 4th, and the Chinese got gold and silver. I think Mexico got bronze. The Chinese divers are absolutely astounding. In the men's, Mexico came third, Russia got second and Tom Daley got gold. His first two dives weren't great, but he really improved over the rest of the contest and he got the only two 10s in the whole contest. He won by 5 points, but his best dives were really really good.

There were lots of screaming teenage girls with "we love you Tom" flags.  ;D After the medal presentation he walked around the pool in front of the audience and we said "well done Tom" and he said "thank you" and gave us a thumbs up. My friend Ruth's niece is going to be green with envy when she hears that.  ;D

I have so enjoyed watching this contest. I'm not sure I'd travel to watch it, but if FINA ever want to bring the World Series back to Edinburgh, I'd definitely go again. And it really makes me want to get Commonwealth Games tickets next year.

'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim KrabbĂ©. Possibly

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #9 on: 27 July, 2017, 12:48:07 pm »
Well done Adam Peaty!