Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469143 times)

essexian

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1800 on: 15 September, 2017, 09:50:33 am »
I never really found out. All my GP and the physio person I saw said was that it was "soft tissue" and would get better with time.

It is a little less sore this morning but frankly, I am cancelling any cycling for the next couple of weeks just in case. I seem to take ages to heal as the soft tissue injury to my left arm caused my falling off my bike on the 30th March last year, still hurts and is currently stopping me from swimming as I can't raise the arm above my head without pain.

Anyone know any exercise you can do using only one arm and/or one leg?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1801 on: 15 September, 2017, 01:37:42 pm »
Anyone know any exercise you can do using only one arm

NSFW is that way -->

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1802 on: 15 September, 2017, 05:35:21 pm »
Anyway, a few days on from starting to wear the trial monthly disposable lenses, and I don't really feel them at all!  :thumbsup: And I can generally put them in and take them out in under 10 seconds per eye!   :)

« Reply #1803 on: 16 September, 2017, 12:09:27 pm »
Two days after hiking up Goat Fell and I'm absolutely crippled.

« Reply #1804 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:06:24 am »
I tried paddle boarding on saturday, it was great.  Didn't quite fall in, and after a couple of hours (with a break for a cup of tea) I was starting to get a bit better and able to work hard enough to get a sweat on, rather than just trying to stay upright.   

Recommend - although my abs and core are absolutely killing this morning!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1805 on: 03 October, 2017, 09:42:09 am »
Bursitis is back. Missus bought me new socks a while back. I take a 43, shop had 39-42 or 43-46, herself got the former which were OK at first but shrank in the wash. Bah.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #1806 on: 03 October, 2017, 10:33:56 am »
Results are back from my MRI last week. Phone appointment with the doc yesterday, I have a small tear in my rotator cuff and a lot of inflammation around the shoulder after the 30mph off 3 weeks ago.
Nothing they can do at the minute but take vitamin I and wait, if still painful in 2 weeks to go back. It aches well when moved wrong but I'm able to lift my arm now and can just about sleep in more than 1 position.
Can ride the upright without pain, though that would be easier if I hadn't twinged my back at the weekend after jolting when the camping seat sunk in the mud  ::-)

simonp

« Reply #1807 on: 03 October, 2017, 03:05:10 pm »
My post-colonoscopy farts were noisy and explosive.
I had a fair bit of painful griping.

It seems this will be in my future. Laxatives in the post.

Nope.  :hand:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1808 on: 03 October, 2017, 03:37:29 pm »
My post-colonoscopy farts were noisy and explosive.
I had a fair bit of painful griping.

It seems this will be in my future. Laxatives in the post.

Nope.  :hand:

Good luck!
For me it was no great shakes, really.

I blame my post-scope griping on very enthusiastic resumption of all the foods I had to eschew pre-scope, when they encountered residual MoviPrep.

« Reply #1809 on: 04 October, 2017, 05:12:08 pm »
Well that was a bit unpleasant, but quicker than expected. I am sans one wisdom tooth and have gained a suitably droopy face and a mouthful of blood and stitches. Hopefully the anaesthetic will start wearing off soon, it's been two hours so far. Or maybe I shouldn't hope for that too soon, might be a bit achy.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1810 on: 04 October, 2017, 05:36:00 pm »
Well that was a bit unpleasant, but quicker than expected. I am sans one wisdom tooth and have gained a suitably droopy face and a mouthful of blood and stitches. Hopefully the anaesthetic will start wearing off soon, it's been two hours so far. Or maybe I shouldn't hope for that too soon, might be a bit achy.

Make sure you have plenty of suitable painkillers at home before the anaesthetic wears off!
The shops might be closed otherwise.
And heal well!

BrianI

« Reply #1811 on: 04 October, 2017, 08:51:57 pm »
Fun and games last night! I had to call nhs 24 due to shortness of breath / pins and needles in left arm after a very busy day at work yesterday. Got a nice visit from the emergency paramedics who took my vital statistics, then an out of hours gp appointment at a&e!

GP put it down to fatigue / low blood sugar levels and anxiety as well as the start man flu (as my glands were somewhat swollen)

Quite a frightening experience though, considering my dad died last year with sudden heart failure  :'(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1812 on: 05 October, 2017, 08:40:48 am »

Too late to say now to keep an ice-bag on it for a while afterwards to counteract swelling. Worked for me.

« Reply #1813 on: 05 October, 2017, 09:44:41 am »
Take care brian, don't let the anxiety build up.

I have remarkably little bruising, considering yesterday it felt like they were pushing so hard I thought my jaw would dislocate. Just managed some watery porridge, although it took me an hour to eat it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

BrianI

« Reply #1814 on: 05 October, 2017, 06:06:40 pm »
Take care brian, don't let the anxiety build up.

I have remarkably little bruising, considering yesterday it felt like they were pushing so hard I thought my jaw would dislocate. Just managed some watery porridge, although it took me an hour to eat it.

Thanks mrcharly!  :thumbsup:

Thankfully I'm now on a 4 day weekend, back to work Tuesday. I was supposed to be going away for a long weekend camping trip to Applecross with my walking meetup group, however given the circumstances I think it's better I rest up at home! (Foolishly perhaps? I went into work as normal yesterday and today). Seems like I have a healthy dose of man flu starting as well...  :sick:

BrianI

« Reply #1815 on: 06 October, 2017, 02:15:18 pm »
Still totally jiggered today  ???

« Reply #1816 on: 07 October, 2017, 04:24:46 am »
It appears to be conclusive.

I can:

Drink alcohol in the evening. XOR sleep soundly past 3 a.m.

Bugger.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1817 on: 07 October, 2017, 09:51:46 am »
Try drinking until 3 am.

« Reply #1818 on: 11 October, 2017, 07:56:39 am »
I had a slightly sore throat on Monday evening and yesterday it got very painful. I have tried gargling with 300mg of aspirin and paracetamol honey and lemon but it is still somewhat sore :'(. Just to add insult to injury the sinex nasal spray is only lasting about three hours before my nose blocks again  and I cannot sleep. . I got to sleep at ,2.30am this morning and woke up at 5.00am  . I can use the spray at 8.00am  :thumbsup:  back to sleep I go ( I hope  ::-)  !  )
the slower you go the more you see

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1819 on: 11 October, 2017, 06:05:42 pm »
I think I might have gallstones.
David has just fed me some feral chips he found dumped on the grass verge outside the house (defrosted but previously frozen sealed bag of recently manufactured pre-fried chips).

Now I have a mild crampy pain in my right upper abdomen.

I don't usually eat chips and will have to avoid them in future, which isn't really a loss.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1820 on: 12 October, 2017, 09:22:21 am »
I get a pain like that when I'm cooking - have done for ~40 years.  No problems yet...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1821 on: 12 October, 2017, 12:21:31 pm »
Laying off the chips is no real hardship; I don't like them much!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1822 on: 12 October, 2017, 01:30:35 pm »
These days it's all home-made oven chips here.  They're good about one time in ten, depending on the spuds.

« Reply #1823 on: 12 October, 2017, 01:49:33 pm »
We are now a potato and pasta free zone.

Cauliflower mash
courgettini
Celeriac rosti
Celeriac oven chips

lovely flavours and far fewer calories

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1824 on: 12 October, 2017, 01:53:19 pm »
Celeriac is sadly ignored. Never tried celeriac chips though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.