Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 522100 times)

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2725 on: 10 October, 2017, 05:51:58 pm »
ECE time allowed

Following a discussion with Carlos & Bernster yesterday regarding the time allowed for an ECE, and whether the calendar ride is included in the calculation of time at the minimum speed, I found the following on aukweb, which is quite categoric:

The overall minimum speed for the ECE Perm + Calendar event will be 14.3km/hr irrespective of the minimum speed of the calendar event itself.

To determine the distance, you need to take the points distance of the calendar event (eg 100km for an over-distance 115km event) and add the minimum distance of the ECE (so a mandatory route 105km ECE would count as 105km). So with these examples, the time allowed would be 205k at 14.3km/h, which is just over 14 hours.

For those ECE'ing the winter series event, this will be a useful reminder.
Cheers for following up mate, that makes sense  :thumbsup:

ACME socks?
« Reply #2726 on: 14 October, 2017, 09:34:24 am »
Hi all,

During last Wednesdays training ride we discussed acme socks

I have found defeet sell "Belgium" socks which are upside down colours for Belgium, but great for us in red, yellow and black. They are in short supply in some options so if people are interested please drop me a pm

They have defeet Aireator or mtb versions at £13.48 & £15.29 respectively

Regards

Grey Sheep
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #2727 on: 18 October, 2017, 08:31:50 am »
Wouldn't it be good if ...

I'm riding the Cambridge Autumnal on Saturday, and it would be nice to know which other ACME riders will be there. To generalise up a level, it would be good to see further into the future, and then make decisions based on rides others have entered. Word of mouth on a Wednesday evening is one option, but when those evenings are not accessible an online solution beckons.

Such a view of ACME rider entered events would be a good addition to the website, which will hopefully be in place soon ... before the winter series?

The optimal source for this data would be aukweb, but to automate a system that retrieves events entered for each rider would be quite a bit of work, and involve storing each rider's login details, which would involve a number of issues, not least security.

Another option would be to maintain a shared online spreadsheet, where each of us could enter details of upcoming rides, and whoever is riding could add their name. A view of the spreadsheet could be provided on the ACME website.

This would only work if sufficient riders could see the benefit and were willing to add details of their rides over time.

What do you think?

Are there other solution options that would be more slick?

And who is riding the Cambridge Autumnal on Saturday ... do I need to bring a crossword to keep myself busy if I'm likely to be delayed by the gear cable changing and puncture fixing shenanigans witnessed last year?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

sib

« Reply #2728 on: 18 October, 2017, 09:34:42 am »

Are there other solution options that would be more slick?

You could do this with a facebook group and create diary events which allow you to see who's attending etc.?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2729 on: 18 October, 2017, 10:14:35 am »

And who is riding the Cambridge Autumnal on Saturday ... do I need to bring a crossword to keep myself busy if I'm likely to be delayed by the gear cable changing and puncture fixing shenanigans witnessed last year?

I'll try to remember to charge the DI2 before Saturday then.... (dont forget to pack extra inner tubes though!)

RWGPS has an RSVP option for events - but any solution will need some setup, care & feeding - not everyone is on either RWGPS, FB or even G+ / Google

AUK now shows a bit of text if you have entered ("Jason you are on the starting line for this event" or some such) but that only shows if you have entered, but I usually don't enter till a few weeks before so often have a calendar full of events and pick off the one that takes my fancy closer to the date.
Regards,

Joergen

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: ACME socks?
« Reply #2730 on: 18 October, 2017, 10:24:02 am »
Hi all,

During last Wednesdays training ride we discussed acme socks

I have found defeet sell "Belgium" socks which are upside down colours for Belgium, but great for us in red, yellow and black. They are in short supply in some options so if people are interested please drop me a pm

They have defeet Aireator or mtb versions at £13.48 & £15.29 respectively

Regards

Grey Sheep

I'd be in for a pair of either option - size M

(note that Germany also works for ACME colours and they appear to have more choice of sizes available in those at velo-perso:-
https://www.velo-perso.com/en/defeet-aireator/432-defeet-aireator-hi-top-germany.html#/53-color-white/49-shoe_size-l_eu_43_455_women_11_13_men_95_115
)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2731 on: 18 October, 2017, 10:46:56 am »
not everyone is on either RWGPS
As a group we could do what we have talked about in the past and subscribe to Club RWGPS, individuals can continue their subscribed privileges and join the group, cancelling their personal subscription at some point in favour or contribution towards the Club subscription.  Last time I looked it was about £250/year for club membership.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2732 on: 18 October, 2017, 10:49:23 am »
I’d like some faux denim Rainlegs in ACME colours. Alternatively I could just get some red, yellow and black Sharpie pens and colour in my existing Rainlegs, could be a fun way to spend a few long winter evenings.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2733 on: 18 October, 2017, 10:51:07 am »
As a group we could do what we have talked about in the past and subscribe to Club RWGPS, individuals can continue their subscribed privileges and join the group, cancelling their personal subscription at some point in favour or contribution towards the Club subscription.  Last time I looked it was about £250/year for club membership.

Or we could all just move in together.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2734 on: 18 October, 2017, 10:54:11 am »

Or we could all just move in together.
That won't work either, I've never put anything on the family calendar pinned to the kitchen notice board

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2735 on: 18 October, 2017, 10:55:31 am »
Just trying to be helpful  ::-)

« Reply #2736 on: 19 October, 2017, 09:09:28 am »
We made our second visit of the year to the Kings Head at Tollesbury last night.

I arrived fashionably late to find Tomsk, Jiber, Huggy, Oaky, Grey Sheep, OD and Hotblack tucking into a Thirslet Spit.

Once they had stopped admiring my new fatsuit and marvelling at Jiber's new 'phone, talk turned to ACME's stellar performance in the Organisers' Points Championship - second ! and another strong year in the club championship (we are still working on a transfer fee for the Straggler).

Jiber then led us through a blow by blow (dump by dump ?) account of his bowel movements during LEL.  He even had sound effects for the different end results, quite grim it was  :facepalm:  "These are the things they don't tell you about audaxing" he pronounced as if uncovering a great conspiracy,  I think the rest of us probably knew why.

By this time Oaky and I had settled on Courage Directors as the Quaffers' Choice while everyone else made Hotblack's life a misery by ordering a range of drinks and then changing their minds.  AndyC33333333333 wouldn't have stood for any of that nonsense.  He certainly wouldn't have stood for the substitution for G&T that OD demanded.

"I hope that lot haven't got far to go" said one of the regulars in the beer garden as we set off into the deep fog.  Fortunately, most of us didn't - except Tomsk and he probably has some sort of laser vision.

It did warm the heart to see OD pedalling his fixed machine alongside Tomsk as they led us off down a dark lane.  Well, it warmed my heart but Huggy seems to be backtracking on his fixed plans.  Apparently he likes freewheeling too much or some other wimpy nonsense.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2737 on: 19 October, 2017, 09:14:26 am »
The Bard is back - terrific stuff!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2738 on: 19 October, 2017, 10:22:50 am »
The Bard is back - terrific stuff!

+1  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2739 on: 19 October, 2017, 01:14:20 pm »
Huggy seems to be backtracking on his fixed plans.  Apparently he likes freewheeling too much or some other wimpy nonsense.
Yup  :smug:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2740 on: 19 October, 2017, 01:28:07 pm »
Huggy seems to be backtracking on his fixed plans.  Apparently he likes freewheeling too much or some other wimpy nonsense.

I am still of the opinion that its downright rude to ignore the fact that some bright spark went to the trouble of inventing a freewheel and gears.  That said I am sort of enjoying riding fixed and will no doubt be proper smug if I'm still riding fixed come the spring.  Yesterday evening was a bit scary given the fog, wet roads and splodges of mud sprinkled about.  It's fair to say I am a long way from the outer edges of my comfort zone which is no bad thing every now and then.

« Reply #2741 on: 19 October, 2017, 01:30:26 pm »
I am still of the opinion that its downright rude to ignore the fact that some bright spark went to the trouble of inventing a freewheel and gears.  That said I am sort of enjoying riding fixed and will no doubt be proper smug if I'm still riding fixed come the spring.  Yesterday evening was a bit scary given the fog, wet roads and splodges of mud sprinkled about.  It's fair to say I am a long way from the outer edges of my comfort zone which is no bad thing every now and then.

You looked extremely comfortable as you sped off with Tomsk last night.

Huggy is missing out on all the fun.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2742 on: 19 October, 2017, 01:38:04 pm »
 :-*

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2743 on: 19 October, 2017, 02:09:25 pm »

My ankle is thanking me for gears this morning!
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2744 on: 19 October, 2017, 02:22:23 pm »
I'm not sure now much my knees are enjoying BJ, particularly the right one.  I'm hoping the muscles around my knee joints will strengthen and offer more support. 

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2745 on: 19 October, 2017, 07:00:25 pm »
I'm not sure now much my knees are enjoying BJ, particularly the right one.  I'm hoping the muscles around my knee joints will strengthen and offer more support.

sore knees and BJ in the same sentence not sure if that sounds a bit wrong.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2746 on: 19 October, 2017, 07:18:59 pm »

There is a school of thought that suggests setting the saddle a little higher on fixed, in order to reduce the maximum knee flexion.  I don't know how much difference it makes though - I run mine at exactly the same height.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2747 on: 19 October, 2017, 07:34:59 pm »

There is a school of thought that suggests setting the saddle a little higher on fixed, in order to reduce the maximum knee flexion.  I don't know how much difference it makes though - I run mine at exactly the same height.

I run all my saddles at the same height, but do get out of the saddle a lot on fixed, unless occasionally deliberately doing some seated climbing. Spinning downhill at speed I do shift back to lengthen the stroke, which is much more comfortable.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #2748 on: 20 October, 2017, 10:49:23 am »

I run all my saddles at the same height, but do get out of the saddle a lot on fixed, unless occasionally deliberately doing some seated climbing. Spinning downhill at speed I do shift back to lengthen the stroke, which is much more comfortable.

I also run all my saddles at the same height (as measured from bottom of pedal stroke). The fixed bikes run slightly shorter cranks (170 vs 172.5 or 175 on the geared bikes) - the fixed cranks were factory fit and I have felt no need to change them. Shorter cranks give a bit more road clearance for cornering, but most ground clearance difference between the fixed and geared bikes is down to BB height and chainset/axle width.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2749 on: 20 October, 2017, 10:56:36 am »