Author Topic: Recumbent trike (hopefully folding)  (Read 9661 times)

Re: Recumbent trike (hopefully folding)
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2017, 04:12:23 pm »
I figured out how to build a seat extender that allows an adjustable angle by using an old folding bike stem. So I cut the centre off an old set of handlebars and welded them onto the seat post. Sadly my welder was out of gas and the welds sucked, so I need to get some more gas before I can try again...

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2018, 03:52:08 pm »
Almost a year since I last updated this.  :-[
I need to get on with making it usable - my daughter is pestering me to ride it work before she goes back to school (though the chances of her being able to ride it are almost nil (it's set up for me at 6ft and she's 4ft - pulling the bottom bracket back far enough for her to reach would mean the cranks bashing the crossbeam)).

I did look at my little scratch start TIG, but the dials on the front are damaged/missing - I should probably just get rid (and, if funds allow, get something more modern).

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2018, 06:57:27 pm »
I need to get on with making it usable - my daughter is pestering me to ride it work before she goes back to school (though the chances of her being able to ride it are almost nil (it's set up for me at 6ft and she's 4ft - pulling the bottom bracket back far enough for her to reach would mean the cranks bashing the crossbeam)).

Don't underestimate the ability of a sufficiently determined child to ride a recumbent that doesn't even slightly fit :)
There's a photo somewhere of EldestCub successfully riding my Streetmachine with his shoulders leaning on the bum-end of the seat and his back arched over the steerer...
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2018, 09:25:10 pm »
Many, many moons ago Redshift and I were standing on Morecambe Prom eyeing up various offerings at CycleFest. I suggested she had a go on a Trice and got a vaguely negative response which included 'It's probably set up for someone much taller!' and so on.

Five minutes or so later a chiddler of about 7 trundled past on one. Backside wasn't even touching the seat . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2018, 09:33:33 pm »
Five minutes or so later a chiddler of about 7 trundled past on one. Backside wasn't even touching the seat . . .

I have grainy video of ?SmallestCub photobombing a BBC Midlands Today interview about all the cycle infrastructure they were about to build[1] by doing just that.

[1] Spoiler:  They didn't.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2018, 09:42:48 am »
Many, many moons ago Redshift and I were standing on Morecambe Prom eyeing up various offerings at CycleFest.

The last of those glorious events was in 2004!  :o

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...