Author Topic: Increasing average speed but while commuting only  (Read 9443 times)

Re: Increasing average speed but while commuting only
« Reply #50 on: 08 March, 2016, 10:06:57 am »
After doing a 10 mile TT session on the wattbike last night where I maintained a cadence of 97rpm and an average of 220W… I decided to do the same on my SS bike near as possible dammit….. I got a PR on new kent road and some very very knackered legs…. So what I have gleaned from this is that it incredibly hard to put out a faster speed on the commute on a regular basis.

simonp

« Reply #51 on: 08 March, 2016, 12:13:10 pm »
I reckon you won't have recovered from the WattBike session by the time you tried to repeat the feat on the road, though.

Try it again with fresh legs.

« Reply #52 on: 08 March, 2016, 02:04:09 pm »
I get what you are saying but my point is that putting out huge amount of energy every day on a commute will be extremely hard especially when having to stop for lights and silly pedestrians jay walking. I spent a lot of energy getting back up to speed. So in the long run, I'll just be knackering my body for the sake of 1mph increase on a commute length. So to the OP, I would say don't worry about your every day speed, just make sure it counts where it matters whether it is an Audax or a sportive or a TT..... :)

« Reply #53 on: 08 March, 2016, 02:56:53 pm »
The ergometer or turbo trainer is there to develop power. The TT course is there to develop tactics. The open public highway is there for anyone with a set of wheels to get to where they wish to go.
The public highway is not a turbo, nor a marshalled TT course. It has hard heavy rolling things on it, driven by people who don’t understand what it’s like to ride a bicycle on a road with hard heavy rolling things.