Author Topic: Scouting Mam Tor (207km) / Edale Run (167km) from Winsford  (Read 7441 times)

Scouting Mam Tor (207km) / Edale Run (167km) from Winsford
« on: 21 February, 2016, 09:43:05 pm »
A cracking ride if anyone is interested from Winsford, Cheshire to the Peak District and back. I've rode the 167km in 2013 & 2014. Highly recommended!

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=69597.0
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

Re: Scouting Mam Tor (207km) / Edale Run (167km) from Winsford
« Reply #1 on: 22 February, 2016, 09:57:46 am »
I'll be there for the 167km. My first big, hilly ride of the year. Looking forward to it.

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #2 on: 22 February, 2016, 10:29:45 am »
I intend doing this as well (207 Km version.  Looks a good route.

« Reply #3 on: 22 February, 2016, 02:26:12 pm »
Is this the ride for Scout Group?
Did last year with few starters.  207k. Looks and is good route.. A bit hilly but I need the practice :)

« Reply #4 on: 23 February, 2016, 08:48:56 pm »
Is this the ride for Scout Group?

That's the one
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2016, 10:17:28 am »
Cracking ride on the Edale Run yesterday. Weather was pretty much perfect, I'm glad this ride wasn't two weeks earlier. The middle stage, over the Peak District, was one of the best couple of hours I've had on a bike - rode round the whole thing with a huge smile on my face (despite the hills). Control at Edale was great, the control at Meerbrook was absolutely heaving when I got through there but still no bother. The only downside of the ride was the last 30km or so where it became quite traffic-y (and also I'd gone cold and my big ring had stopped working so I was sulking) but I guess you have to return to civilisation some time !!

« Reply #6 on: 14 March, 2016, 11:21:26 am »
wow what a day out! I have a burnt nose  :)
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #7 on: 14 March, 2016, 12:31:01 pm »
the control at Meerbrook was absolutely heaving when I got through there but still no bother.

Yes a bit of sunshine brings the tourist out! I couldn't believe how many cars were parked on the side of the road just after the Lazy Trout turn off.

I could of really done with a feed at Meerbrook but wasn't prepared to wait so it was a can of coke and a couple of peanut butter and jam rolls out of the back pocket. I really noticed the cold after leaving Old Ma's for the last hour as the sun had gone down.

I rode with three club members who had rode it before and three who hadn't, all thoroughly enjoyed the day. A good turn out according to the org which is good to see on such a cracking route.

« Reply #8 on: 14 March, 2016, 02:26:52 pm »
Great day for a ride on excellent & hilly route for views, very kind organisers & happy helpers,  with good cause too.

VERY BIG THANKS To: Owers & staff of  The Robin Hood. Rainow ( @32k).
After 3flats & torn tyre! Drove me to Macclesfield (Halfords) for new tyre & inner tubes. But 12:30 by time I was able to ride again, too much to catch up, so back to car.
Also thanks to all, that called out assistance & Ray who stopped. So much for Continental four seasons !!

« Reply #9 on: 14 March, 2016, 02:54:36 pm »
Thanks for posting those pics and reminding me of some of the wonderful vistas on yesterday's ride.

« Reply #10 on: 14 March, 2016, 02:56:52 pm »
Yes a bit of sunshine brings the tourist out! I couldn't believe how many cars were parked on the side of the road just after the Lazy Trout turn off.
There were posters here and there that spoke of a 'Path opening' which is why I reckon there we so many folk about, my heart sank as I reached the car park for a sign to say car park full  :-\
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #11 on: 14 March, 2016, 09:58:52 pm »
A few photo's frm me.

SMT-1 by Richie C, on Flickr

SMT-2 by Richie C, on Flickr

SMT-13 by Richie C, on Flickr

SMT-15 by Richie C, on Flickr

SMT-17 by Richie C, on Flickr

SMT-11 by Richie C, on Flickr

SMT-12 by Richie C, on Flickr

SMT-18 by Richie C, on Flickr

SMT-19 by Richie C, on Flickr

SMT-6 by Richie C, on Flickr

SMT-20 by Richie C, on Flickr

SMT-8 by Richie C, on Flickr

SMT-7 by Richie C, on Flickr

SMT-9 by Richie C, on Flickr

SMT-10 by Richie C, on Flickr
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #12 on: 14 March, 2016, 10:38:04 pm »
There's an AUK Flickr group - you should add the photos :thumbsup:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/audaxuk/

« Reply #13 on: 15 March, 2016, 08:33:24 am »
There were posters here and there that spoke of a 'Path opening' which is why I reckon there we so many folk about, my heart sank as I reached the car park for a sign to say car park full  :-\

Yes but how good did it feel to ride straight through the middle of those cones ?

« Reply #14 on: 15 March, 2016, 09:04:58 am »
There's an AUK Flickr group - you should add the photos :thumbsup:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/audaxuk/
Ahh didn't know about that, thanks  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #15 on: 15 March, 2016, 09:13:08 am »

Yes but how good did it feel to ride straight through the middle of those cones ?
It certainly did  ;D
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #16 on: 06 March, 2017, 07:37:46 pm »
I will be coming down from The Lakes for Scouting Mam Tor, my first go at it.  Route sheet all good?  I won't have a gps for navigation, is there anything I need to know?  Hoping for atypical weather from my native Peak District!

« Reply #17 on: 11 March, 2017, 02:08:05 pm »
I don't recall an issues with the routesheet. The cafe in Edale is only small, you can either wait if it's busy or the org is happy for you to control in Hope as I understand. If you've rode in the Peaks before you will be well prepared. Weather for tomorrow is looking very good for the Peak District for March

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #18 on: 13 March, 2017, 10:39:32 pm »
A very good ride, and some new friends, too...

Got overtaken by a very fast unmarked police car, lights and sirens going, and later found it parked by an ambulance, a tractor, one of those buggy farmers things, a group of cyclists, and a bike on the ground.

I asked if they needed help, and one of them knew me and said they were OK.

Hope nobody was seriously hurt?

edit : sad to learn the news - things like this are just not fair
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #19 on: 14 March, 2017, 08:38:26 am »
A very good ride, and some new friends, too...

Got overtaken by a very fast unmarked police car, lights and sirens going, and later found it parked by an ambulance, a tractor, one of those buggy farmers things, a group of cyclists, and a bike on the ground.

I asked if they needed help, and one of them knew me and said they were OK.

Hope nobody was seriously hurt?
I believe it was not good  :( and not accident related
Eddington Number 75

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #20 on: 14 March, 2017, 05:19:58 pm »
Terribly sad to learn the rider didn't respond to the CPR being given by his club-mates.
Really felt so useless & unable to help -  I'll be booking myself onto 1st aid course at work at the 1st opportunity.
I'm sorry I don't know names -  but for sure my thoughts & prayers go to all his friends & family effected by this tragedy.
T.H  (Bury CtC)
Fatter Riders Bounce Better :-) !

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21 on: 14 March, 2017, 05:26:20 pm »
Sad news.
Thoughts and condolences to rider's loved ones.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #22 on: 14 March, 2017, 05:36:10 pm »
Terribly sad to learn the rider didn't respond to the CPR being given by his club-mates.
Really felt so useless & unable to help -  I'll be booking myself onto 1st aid course at work at the 1st opportunity.
I'm sorry I don't know names -  but for sure my thoughts & prayers go to all his friends & family effected by this tragedy.
T.H  (Bury CtC)
Sad news.
Thoughts and condolences to rider's loved ones.

+1. Indeed. Sad and sobering. The rider wasn't actually 'on' the Audax - he'd just arranged to join his mates for a section.

« Reply #23 on: 14 March, 2017, 10:56:42 pm »
The rider was Mark Namgauds of Crewe Clarion Wheelers. Mark couldn't commit to ride the full day so arranged to meet up at Whithington and peel off for home at Smallwood. He had rode to the cafe in Hope in good time and waited for us to catch up, we had a good feed and set off together after brunch. On the next section Mark struggled on the uphills and was at the back with myself. He said that he thought he had overdone it on the way to Hope but carried on at his slower than normal pace riding within himself. We waited for him to catch us a couple of times. He told us to carry on and not bother waiting for him as we had much further than him to go, thankfully we ignored him and continued to ride with him.

We rode through Moneyash together and got to the bottom of the Rakes The other two riders left me and Mark as they climbed quicker. I spoke to Mark for the last time talking the usual rubbish like "it doesn't get any easier etc". Mark was about ten yards behind me when I heard him fall off his bike, I called ahead to Adi who immediately turned around. Adi is a first aid trainer and within minutes was administering CPR. The first responder arrived within 15 minutes and the ambulance 5 minutes after that. They were unable to revive him and he was pronounced dead at the scene, leaving us a long, strange ride home.

That evening I visited his wife and was able to bring some comfort to her and his son by letting them know that there were people who knew him were there to care for him at the time of his death and that his death had been sudden and without any prolonged suffering. The real tragedy is that Mark turned 60 two weeks earlier and leaves behind a wife as well as two daughters and a son all three of which are in their early twenties.

News of Mark's death has had a massive impact on the club and we are all slowly coming to terms with it.

Many thanks to all the riders who their offered help, I hope no one was offended when it was declined

Brandon

« Reply #24 on: 15 March, 2017, 08:22:24 am »
Dear Brandon.

Thank you for the update.  I was one of the first riders following from behind. Your request for cyclists to continue their journeys was perfectly correct as onlookers would not have helped the situation.  I'm just sorry that I did not have the medical skills to assist. From my perspective, it appeared that your group was doing all that could realistically be achieved to revive Mark.  Further along the road I attempted to find car users with medical training - alas with little luck. After which, it was a troubled and sobering journey home.

My immediate thoughts were the desperate situation you and your group found yourselves in - and of course with Mark who lay on the floor.  My condolences go to Mark's family plus you and your friends in Crewe Clarion.

Kind regards

Philip Whiteman
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/