Author Topic: From the archives.  (Read 2940 times)

From the archives.
« on: 05 October, 2018, 07:51:38 pm »
I'm in an archival mood. So here's a hi-def intro sequence to PBP 2007. See who you can spot.

rob

Re: From the archives.
« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2018, 09:27:21 pm »
Must go back and watch the whole film again.   Rob Junior’s photo taped to my bars appears later on.

« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2018, 03:24:54 pm »
When films aren't watched on Vimeo and Youtube they eventually revert to 240p definition. That's happened to this extract about the Loudeac problem from the 2007 DVD.

« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2018, 06:58:36 pm »
PBP 1983 and 1987 scenes to a disco beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TywLn7oOLA

rob

« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2018, 07:14:23 pm »
When films aren't watched on Vimeo and Youtube they eventually revert to 240p definition. That's happened to this extract about the Loudeac problem from the 2007 DVD.

Thanks.  Picture of Joseph taped to my bars at 6:36.   He’s 11 now.

« Reply #5 on: 21 October, 2018, 01:10:14 pm »
PBP 2011 was the last time I rode a 1200+ ride. as opposed to just filming it. Filming and riding is the only way to convey the night, as you need a lot more rest if you're piloting a motorbike.

The rows of Poplar trees on the horizon used to be the main visual source for hallucinations. By 2011 they had given way to wind turbines. It's easy enough to make sense of them when you're not massively sleep deprived, less so at 25 or 6 to 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zyY-VFbB_4

« Reply #6 on: 30 October, 2018, 12:42:53 pm »
In archival mood, stumbled across this on the Audax Australia CC website - "Oppy Wins PBP":
https://www.audax.org.au/public/paris-brest-paris/pbp-oppy-wins
Gorgeous language.
"It was a curious fact that everyone in France seemed to sense my innermost thoughts concerning this big event. When I pedalled my last bouquet carrying lap of the “Tour” at the Parc des Prinos, I heard calls “Never mind this one Oppy—wait for Paris–Brest.” To my surprise my name was placed on the head of the entry list and No.1 went automatically on to my back and my bike. Yet I could not give myself a chance to win when I saw the long list of formidable names which blazed from the headlines in threatening challenge, as the starting day drew near. “Nik” Frantz loomed overpoweringly from his two wins in the Tour, Belgian Van Rysselberghe had the “Derby of the Road” non-stop 375 miles from Bordeaux to Paris, and France fielded “locomotive” Marcel Bidot, road champion of the year, backed by the record-breaking mountaineer Benoit-Faure. Belgians Bonduel-Jolly-Demuysere-Louyet and Decroix had impressive wins for the season, while Italy’s Pancera was respected throughout Europe for his endurance in long, hard contests. Moulded in the fierce competitive crucible of their national sport, they had developed a Spartan-like creed of aggressive attack and loyal team cooperation throughout their long, arduous years of achievement."