Author Topic: Fixing Marmalade  (Read 1659 times)

Fixing Marmalade
« on: 13 January, 2013, 10:22:21 pm »
Hmmm. A bit early, as it might improve overnight, but my marmalade is looking suspiciously thin. For a variety of reasons too lengthy to go into (and don't constitute a real excuse anyway), I fear I took it off a little too early. Anyone experience of fixing this by re-heating, or should I just stick with marmalade slop. Tastes damn good./

Re: Fixing Marmalade
« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2013, 10:58:14 pm »
Marmeltinis. Mix with gin and lemon juice.  :thumbsup:
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 13 January, 2013, 11:31:02 pm »
I don't make marmalade as my partner dislikes it.
I do make jam in the microwave.
I have thickened thin jam in the microwave by zapping the jar.
I can't see why this would not work for marmalade.
Watch like a hawk and make sure there's enough space above the preserve to allow boiling.

« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2013, 07:32:23 am »
Morning update: fears were not fully founded, it is thin-ish, but defo thinish marmalade (which tastes damn good).  Marmalade and jam are different animals, at least I cook marmalade to several degrees higher than I would jam, which would result in a potentially lethal napalm mix in the microwave. Never underestimate the power of molten sugar.

My fear stemmed from a failure a couple of years back when I tried a recipe that said "put all the pith into the muslin with the pips" as a result, the pectin didn't get out the parcel; I had an excellent substance for making marmalade cake but spreading was right off the agenda. This time, apart from pressure on time causing me to say "ah bugger it it's done" I used normal as opposed to preserving sugar. That meant I had much more scum than normal, which was setting damn solid and adding to the pressure to stop cooking. As I said, nobody to blame but myself.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. The Waitrose organic sevilles are top on flavour.

« Reply #4 on: 14 January, 2013, 09:00:03 am »
Ours is ALWAYS runny. Doesn't matter what method we use. Tastes fantastic and is additive free, so who cares.  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5 on: 14 January, 2013, 11:59:10 am »
Alternatively find a way of adding some calcium to the warm / hot marmalade.

Part of my masters research was the effects of various metals on various gelling agents, the most marked result was that adding Calcium to Pectin resulted in a firmer set for the same concentration of pectin. Hence if you look at the ingredients of cheaper supermarket jams they will use Calcium Phosphate as an acidity regulator.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6 on: 14 January, 2013, 01:38:30 pm »
Alternatively find a way of adding some calcium to the warm / hot marmalade.

Part of my masters research was the effects of various metals on various gelling agents, the most marked result was that adding Calcium to Pectin resulted in a firmer set for the same concentration of pectin. Hence if you look at the ingredients of cheaper supermarket jams they will use Calcium Phosphate as an acidity regulator.

New! Toothpaste flavoured marmalade! Sets like a stone and gives you that ring of confidence.

Contains liquid calcium
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #7 on: 17 January, 2013, 09:20:34 pm »
Ours is ALWAYS runny. Doesn't matter what method we use. Tastes fantastic and is additive free, so who cares.  :thumbsup:

^^^ - that.  And better runny than rock solid.  If it's watery, you've probably forgotten the sugar ;)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #8 on: 21 January, 2013, 10:27:57 pm »
Does anybody else use the marmalade stuck inside an empty jar to make a nice marmalade drink (swill out jar with boiled water).  Yummy, tinged with the virtue of having wasted no marmalade whatsoever.
confession: my mum still makes my marmalade.  thick cut (less work)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.