Author Topic: Members' MTB to Road bike conversions  (Read 68485 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Members' MTB to Road bike conversions
« on: 03 July, 2013, 05:22:16 pm »
Following on from the numerous posts in Members' Bikes, please put up photos of your "roadified" MTB.

Here's mine:

On-One Inbred, Kona P2 forks, Tortec 'guards, Tortec Expedition rack and Altura panniers.
Pen Pusher

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Re: Members' MTB to Road bike conversions
« Reply #1 on: 03 July, 2013, 05:35:15 pm »
Marin Bear Valley ready for ice.

Not quite right (frame size too small, shame as it was in beautiful condition) so sold the frame and forks and continued on the quest for another

« Reply #2 on: 03 July, 2013, 05:40:09 pm »
Here we are again :)

Nigel

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #3 on: 03 July, 2013, 05:40:21 pm »
Next up - but now with mudguards and in serious workhorse mode (pics to follow at some stage). 1992 GT Karakoram f&f - the rest a hotch potch with lotsa 8 speed Campag off road stuff. It has ZING. And rides beautifully

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #4 on: 03 July, 2013, 05:46:56 pm »
1992 Raleigh Peak f&f. Currently undergoing subtlization. Gone are the orange cables and black butchered Brooks B17 standard - IN are the sliver braded cables and Brooks Imperial in honey - work in progress. One of the best road bikes  :thumbsup:

Raleigh-Peak-220613 by obswerve, on Flickr

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #5 on: 03 July, 2013, 05:53:34 pm »
GT Karakoram as load lugger - well a box containing a pair of handbuilt wheels wot I was about to ride 12 miles to the nearest PO with

GT-Wheelbox by obswerve, on Flickr

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6 on: 03 July, 2013, 06:08:01 pm »
Sounds like a good excuse to post a pic of the TrailMonster:

Surly 1x1 (running as a fixed gear, naturally), 34/38T up front with a 17/21T Dingle cog - it does actually get used as an off-road bike but it just happens to be in road/commuting mode at the moment ie. running Big Apples and mudguards instead of nekkid with Michelin AT XC tyres.

Having said that, since this pic was taken the On-One Mary bars have been replaced with Easton EA70s since using the former resulted in a bend in the front brake hose that I wasn't happy with.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #7 on: 03 July, 2013, 06:44:30 pm »
Oh, go on then.

This used to be a 1996 Marin Bear Valley. Now it's the really bad weather winter hack.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #8 on: 03 July, 2013, 07:03:10 pm »
This one is still in the stable, although is up for sale :(

Transformed from this....

...to this

...and now back again.

Nigel

« Reply #9 on: 03 July, 2013, 09:16:58 pm »
mine...

unidentified 80's mtb f&f, bought from the local tip (when they used to sell things) for £10 (I was initially after the thumbies, but it was too good to split), wheels £1.50 the pair from the same source! Powder coated by a local co. for £40.00

Apart from the headset, mudguards, cables, tyres, stainless bottle cage & mudguard bolts, & fab 'grab on' lever covers/grips all other bits from the bits box including a lovely 80's Avocet Ti railed saddle (which gets swopped for a B17 ti for longer rides). Saddle's not normally this high but step son's been riding it.

not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #10 on: 03 July, 2013, 09:24:46 pm »
One of many. Orange Oakley Clockwork, circ early 1990s.

Before:

Complete:

« Reply #11 on: 03 July, 2013, 09:31:45 pm »
Love the GT Karakoram, Slope - I've seen one before and they do seem to have unfeasably long handlebar stems. Also like Eck's Bear valley.  :thumbsup:

I use a '96 Univega 506 for on/off road touring. It's sort of roadified with 80psi slicks and a rack & guard on the back.

It's not looking it's best here, just after doing the Peddars Way with the Essex lads
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #12 on: 04 July, 2013, 07:33:11 am »
I was going to post a pic of my Inbred 29er, but G+ won't let me copy the link :(

Grrrrrrrrrrr
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #13 on: 04 July, 2013, 07:47:58 am »
I didn't do the conversion, but this did start out as a MTB.

« Reply #14 on: 04 July, 2013, 09:06:19 am »
Pity we didn't take a photo on the ride last week - we could have had all three of the bikes in the last 3 posts in one photo.  :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 04 July, 2013, 09:32:39 am »
Nice thread.  This takes me back to the original hybrids (different from the later, roadster-y products), such as the Orbit Frontier et al, and C+'s reinvention as the 'RTB'.

Getting there...

« Reply #16 on: 04 July, 2013, 09:46:35 am »
I quite like the idea of making my Rockhopper Comp a bit more roadyish by putting some Mungo bars on it - I'll have a spare pair of nice black cane creek levers to go on it once I've fitted sti levers on the road bike.  I also have bar tape at the ready.  I suppose it's then a matter of finding some 7sp bar end shifters, and presumably I'd need some inline cable adjusters as well.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #17 on: 04 July, 2013, 10:16:46 am »
Now we know where all the Biopace chainrings ended up  :P

« Reply #18 on: 04 July, 2013, 10:33:09 am »
would you like some?   ;D

LEE

« Reply #19 on: 04 July, 2013, 12:17:13 pm »
I think my Saracen Forcetrax may have been a year too early for Biopace and Gripshift.

Wheels, cassette, chain, pedals, frame & forks are all 1996 original (drivechain really needs a makeover).

Canti brakes are now V-brakes (hence the strange cable runs along top tube), original combined brakes/shifters have been upgraded to better, separate, items.  Quill stem has an AHEAD adapter to take my Thorn "Comfort Bars" .  Saddle is temporary, awaiting a Brooks B17.  Naturally the Tyres, Mudguards and Rack are part of the roadification.  Tyres are Schwalbe Marathon 26x2.0", overkill really but they just trundle over anything and everything.

It's a very nice light TANGE Cromo frame and it's a real pleasure to ride.

The next addition will be a front rack of some description. 

« Reply #20 on: 04 July, 2013, 01:10:47 pm »
Here's mine:-

10-05-15 Mongoose MTB Kona P2 fork Chester station by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

I did my first tours on this when it had the original 26" wheels. I fitted the road wheels when I had my Enigma nicked (I had a spare pair) and it became my road bike for ~18 months. I even rode London-Paris on it.

It's currently languishing at home although the dyno-hub is on its way to Prague on a friend's bike.
I have vague plans to get it re-sprayed and to put drops on it but don't hold your breath.

« Reply #21 on: 05 July, 2013, 02:35:05 pm »
I quite like the idea of making my Rockhopper Comp a bit more roadyish by putting some Mungo bars on it - I'll have a spare pair of nice black cane creek levers to go on it once I've fitted sti levers on the road bike.  I also have bar tape at the ready.  I suppose it's then a matter of finding some 7sp bar end shifters, and presumably I'd need some inline cable adjusters as well.

Hmm, I seem to have found some 7sp bar end shifters already.

« Reply #22 on: 05 July, 2013, 03:38:53 pm »
You shouldn't need inline adjusters - you can adjust cable at the rear mech and the front will probably be friction anyway.

« Reply #23 on: 05 July, 2013, 03:50:28 pm »
You shouldn't need inline adjusters - you can adjust cable at the rear mech and the front will probably be friction anyway.
Good point there, WJ.  Now to decide on bars - I wish I'd not got rid of those on-one bars I had a while back.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #24 on: 05 July, 2013, 05:48:13 pm »

My 2004 Claud Butler Rock ready for tonight's raid on Colchester. 

We are supposed to be doing some comedy off-roading but my riding companions are all big girl's blouses and want to stick to the tarmac.  I despair  ::-)   ;D