Author Topic: Steele Roads & Woolly Hills 400 - now Saturday 17/07/21, 11 am from Darlo  (Read 6242 times)

I was waiting for that - well done!

Edit:  Her bike looks useful.  What kind of Ribble is it?  And don't say, "Orange," because I WILL find you!

What an epic route!

<looks for bigger tyres that will still clear the 45mm mudguards on the Elan>

Deano’s blog page says something along the lines of ‘suitable for tourers on 28mm tyres and you can bring your 23mm shod Pinarello at a pinch (flat)’.*

I’m beginning to wonder if something bigger than the 30mm file treads currently mounted would make sense. Might even revert to 650b x 47.

To say I’m looking forward to this would be disingenuous. I’m equally terrified and excited and wondering where to sleep.

Thanks for the extra training weeks - very much appreciated!

Mike

*I may have invented the latter half of this;)

I don't want to be too prescriptive about tyre choice - it's about 90% on road, if not more (I'll try and work it out, though it will almost certainly take more than 10% of your riding time), so fast rolling tyres and walking the off-road bits wouldn't be a suicidal tactic. But some sort of compromise is what I'll be going for (probably my Giant with 38 mm tyres that can cope off-road).

In truth - my bike is perfect for this ride: A Spa Elan 725 with 32mm Supreme's, and I even have a set of 35mm sitting in the cupboard I could fit tomorrow.

It's me that isn't ready for a 400km this year, alas.

But I raise a chapeau to the route and those taking part. It's an event I want to get to next year with a bit more miles in the legs, and experience in the head.

Oh, I’m not ready either - not even for a 200 - just get come along and enjoy it, slowly:)

Yeah, I'm expecting some riders to finish out of time (including me), but as I've a 600 on the same day I'll be around until they finish.

Obviously no validation for riders who are out of time, but I'll still feed you and welcome you back.

I was waiting for that - well done!

Edit:  Her bike looks useful.  What kind of Ribble is it?  And don't say, "Orange," because I WILL find you!

Not a clue. I hate Ribble bikes, can't be doing with helping them out, though she's happy enough with it.

I've never ridden one  - just thought it looked nice and chunky (though I don't like orange - unless it's on an orange).  Prefer a x-type bike for those conditons but my hands are no longer strong enough to fight determined wheel wander.  I think you may have witnessed this - the pic. may still be on here (just type "bastard photographer" in the search bar!).

Oh, I’m not ready either - not even for a 200 - just get come along and enjoy it, slowly:)

And that’s an excellent attitude. Try and complete in time, or failing that, complete the circuit.  Validation might be the original motivator but it’s far from the end of the world (if it doesn’t happen) if you’ve had a good outing.

And this is still going ahead on the 17th of July.

Still some space if anyone fancies it. Yes, I do have some entries, you cheeky sods.

Nine riders away (well, eight and one faffer).

Bloody hell, someone's back already!

The faffer?

No, he was next.

And the chap on the 70s Dawes Galaxy is back too (only a little proud of himself).

Cheers Deano, what a fantastic route. I watched the sun set over Thirlmere, saw the stars above Great Dodd and watched the sunrise from somewhere above Allenheads.
Did I mention the sun? It was a bit on the warm side!

A few pics:

Cam Road:
Cam Road by Al, on Flickr

Descent to Gearstones:
Gearstone Road by Al, on Flickr

Garnett Bridge:
Control by Al, on Flickr

Borrowdale:
Borrowdale by Al, on Flickr

Thirlmere:
Thirlmere Sunset by Al, on Flickr

Sunrise:
Hexham Sunrise by Al, on Flickr

Weardale:
Weardale Arch by Al, on Flickr

Coldberry End:
Coldberry End by Al, on Flickr

Great photos, Al!

Of the 9 starters, 2 packed relatively early on (the heat didn't help), and one carried on to finish well out of time, but good on him for riding through.

Star of the show was the chap on the original (including brakes) 1970s Dawes Galaxy. I think the Holdsworth bottle might have been from the eighties, mind.

It was a bit of a mess by the end, with a couple of broken spokes and a bent rear rim. But everyone survived, I'll look for space in next year's calendar for a re-run. 

Star of the show was the chap on the original (including brakes) 1970s Dawes Galaxy. I think the Holdsworth bottle might have been from the eighties, mind.

Aye, he had a bottle of squash in his saddlebag and he was navigating from pages ripped out of a road map too!

We rode together for a few miles during the night, a top bloke.

Fabulous stuff.  When Musk gets to Mars, he has to give Dean (sand John Perrin) first dibs at planning an Audax.

Lump in my throat looking at Thirlmere: we've had to cancel two successive holidays there now.

Looks very hot. Looks very hard. Looks very beautiful.

Part 1 https://youtu.be/flKd1vj25Uk
Part 2 https://youtu.be/oqFIUBxaljU