Author Topic: TT Pace -- RPM  (Read 2175 times)

TT Pace -- RPM
« on: 26 June, 2008, 11:03:47 am »
Last week I averaged 110 RPM on my 10. Therefore I am gearing up to fall back into the 90-100 RPM. Is that a good TTing pace? Some guys, gearies!, were imlying it was still high.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

gonzo

Re: TT Pace -- RPM
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2008, 08:43:34 pm »
Depends on the person. Lance loved high cadence and short cranks. Jan Ulrich mashed massive gears.

Personally, I find that I use 90-100rpm depending on gradient. Anything over 100rpm puts too much requirements on the lungs. Anything below 90rpm makes the legs hurt more than the lungs.

Basically, you want to get your HR as high as you can hold it, then have a gear that makes your legs hurt, but just below your pain threshold.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2008, 10:58:13 am »
Basically, you want to get your HR as high as you can hold it, then have a gear that makes your legs hurt, but just below your pain threshold.
That sounds spot on - nicely boiled down!

What i was going to say was simply that, yes, ideal cadence is very personal, but also the perfect RPM will be lower for shorter events. 10TT rpm will thus be much lower than your ideal "general" cadence.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2008, 11:56:34 am »
Cheers guys...

Maybe I need a (new) HRM for my b'day next week...  :thumbsup:
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 29 June, 2008, 10:46:08 pm »
That's almost exactly what I did for my last tri.  Aced the bike leg with a massive PB... then died like a dog in a car on the run.   ;D
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #5 on: 29 June, 2008, 10:56:23 pm »
I suppose I could do the math to work out cadence, But I can do 28 min 10's on my 72", whereas a 61 year old grandad in our club did a low 22 min 10 last week - on 109"  :o

I think it's more to do with me being an unfit slob, and he being an utter animal, rather than gearing tho'.  ::-)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

annie

« Reply #6 on: 29 June, 2008, 10:58:21 pm »
I suppose I could do the math to work out cadence, But I can do 28 min 10's on my 72", whereas a 61 year old grandad in our club did a low 22 min 10 last week - on 109"  :o

I think it's more to do with me being an unfit slob, and he being an utter animal, rather than gearing tho'.  ::-)

You unfit?  Could have fooled me. :)

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #7 on: 30 June, 2008, 12:00:08 am »

28.10 on 72" is approx 100 rpm at 21.3 MPH

The other guy is approx 84 rpm at 27.1 mph
"Don't stop pedalling"