Author Topic: The School Tuck Shop  (Read 7728 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: The School Tuck Shop
« Reply #25 on: 27 February, 2012, 01:33:23 pm »
No tuck shop at any school I attended, except very briefly as a trial of two weeks.

I was miffed about it at the time.  Less bothered now.
Getting there...

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #26 on: 27 February, 2012, 02:16:35 pm »
A tiny room with a hole in the wall access selling sweets and crisps. I know there was more, but all I can remember is what I was usually able to afford: Black Jacks and Fruit Salad chews, 2 for 1p.

It was run, regimentally, by Mr Eustace, who looked like a quartermaster.

I think that the tuck shop queue was one of the more perilous places in my school: standing in it meant you had some money!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

essexian

« Reply #27 on: 27 February, 2012, 03:31:47 pm »
.....  I ran it for a while but my memory is coming up with nothing apart from unpacking large boxes of crisps.

I used to run it also at my senior school.... well I used to fancy the girl who ran it with me....shame she married the wrong bloke  :facepalm:

Best sellers were Walkers crisps, Lion Bars and  chocolate bars.

Our shop was a little wooden box on wheels: sometimes some of the moronic 4th formers used to think it fun to wheel us around the dining room.... they would do it once and then meet my friend PAIN. Strangely, about 15 years later, I ran a newsagents for 4 years!

« Reply #28 on: 27 February, 2012, 06:03:44 pm »
Nik-Naks, the only crisps that smelled like toilets.

I realised that there must be a difference between the smell of of mens and women's toilets.

There used to be pink urinal cakes that smelt vaguely of fruit, I always wondered what they tasted like.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 27 February, 2012, 06:46:30 pm »
There used to be pink urinal cakes that smelt vaguely of fruit, I always wondered what they tasted like.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest "piss"...

« Reply #30 on: 09 March, 2012, 08:32:32 pm »
Mojo's 4 a penny,  love hearts, sherbet lemons licorice root, , (extremely good for your teeth) halfpenny each.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #31 on: 09 March, 2012, 08:34:39 pm »
I've never quite understood the function of urinal mints, as Beavis and Butt-head refer to them.  They appear to have no function other than vaguely covering up the stench of ammonia in the Gents.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #32 on: 10 March, 2012, 09:38:36 am »
You mean Fishermans Friends  ???
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

« Reply #33 on: 10 March, 2012, 09:50:30 am »
There was an almost religious debate at our school about whether Victory Vs or Fisherman's Friends were stronger.  There really is no contest - Victory Vs are insipid and frankly the Nazis would have overrun us if we'd believed the hype inherent in the name.

I used to eat two packets of Fisherman's Friends a day in winter, mainly because you could say "they're throat sweets, Miss" when eating them in class.  I'm sure they have a faintly narcotic effect in large doses.

plum

« Reply #34 on: 10 March, 2012, 10:29:19 am »
There was an almost religious debate at our school about whether Victory Vs or Fisherman's Friends were stronger.  There really is no contest - Victory Vs are insipid and frankly the Nazis would have overrun us if we'd believed the hype inherent in the name.

It was neither, liquorice imps win that one hands down.

My gosh I just wiki'd it and the original Victory Vs contained, amongst other stuff, chloroform. Must have had quite a kick.

« Reply #35 on: 11 March, 2012, 12:28:56 am »
Bags of broken biskits and Curly Wurlies. Made up the shortfall when swapping your Spear of Destiny album for an Einstuerzende Neubauten one.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim KrabbĂ©. Possibly

rogerzilla

« Reply #36 on: 11 March, 2012, 07:23:42 am »
Our of interest, what was the krautrock/SoD exchange rate?

« Reply #37 on: 11 March, 2012, 02:11:38 pm »
New European bands with a higher exotica quotient (or those with pretentious names) seemed to command a premium in the swapsies/taping stakes. ISTR the old lady who ran our tuck-shop had 'links' with some staff at the Peek Freans factory in Rotherhithe. Of course, I'd like to think the tuck-shop received clandestine deliveries of production seconds at ungodly hours. No questions asked. *taps nose*.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim KrabbĂ©. Possibly