Author Topic: The Bread Thread  (Read 107886 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: The Bread Thread
« Reply #625 on: 13 February, 2021, 08:10:32 pm »
Hmm. I'd go for a light dusting and a dry tea towel rather than damp.

+1

Dust with rye flour (low gluten so less sticky) and cover with a dry muslin cloth.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #626 on: 13 February, 2021, 09:31:42 pm »
I was about to ask "Wtf is that in real units" then realised I did ask about a 2lb loaf tin, so it's kinda my own fault.

It’s a nominal measurement anyway and there will be much variation in capacity between 2lb loaf tins from different manufacturers.

If translating it into metric, you’d call it a 1kg tin rather than 900g.

And I've just filled the "2lb" Pestige tin mentioned above with liquid - it takes 1.4 litres to the brim ;)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #627 on: 13 February, 2021, 09:37:25 pm »

+1

Dust with rye flour (low gluten so less sticky) and cover with a dry muslin cloth.

Rye flour is what I use in the cloth in the banneton when doing sourdough.

When I'm doing bog standard yeasty bread I put it in a giant plastic bag.

When I'm doing the last bit of shaped pizza dough balls in the fridge I use a damp tea towel and nothing else.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #628 on: 13 February, 2021, 09:46:50 pm »

Well i got a loaf...

It didn't rise as much as I expected before it went in the oven. But did spring nicely. I'm realising i forgot to score the top, hence the split along the sides. Will give it a few mins before I slice it to see how good it is...

Oh and the pizza I made was ok. Not my finest. But tasty and filling.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

The Bread Thread
« Reply #629 on: 13 February, 2021, 10:47:28 pm »
When I'm doing bog standard yeasty bread I put it in a giant plastic bag.

I need to get some of those. They were very prominent in the last series of Bake Off.

Do you oil it or just leave it au naturel?

I used to use cling film but obviously that’s not the done thing these days. I’ve also tried those beeswax paper sheets but feel there’s no real advantage to those over using a cloth.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #630 on: 13 February, 2021, 11:50:12 pm »
My bog standard bread I make in a silicone loaf 'tin'. I give it a bit of a wipe with fat before putting the dough in and then I put that in a big plastic bag, something like this https://www.lakeland.co.uk/1022/100-Gusseted-Freezeasy-Food-Freezer-Bags-28-x-41cm which I tie at the top for the 2nd proof.
I store it in the same bag after baking.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #631 on: 14 February, 2021, 07:29:39 pm »
Tragic hipster bread made using the stretchy-fold method and baked on my of-so-heavy lump of mild steel. Very very pleased with this one.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

« Reply #632 on: 14 February, 2021, 08:05:06 pm »
I love the message on your lame.

« Reply #633 on: 14 February, 2021, 09:21:58 pm »

What do you all cover your dough with while it proves? Last time so used a ramp tea towel, like I always have done, and when the dough rose enough to touch it, removing the tea towel meant all the gas for let out the dough and I got dwarven battle bread. The dough is in a 900g loaf tin..

Showercap.

GC

« Reply #634 on: 14 February, 2021, 09:46:32 pm »
In a bizarre twist we did a breadmaking course which started in January last year.  Since then I have been baking sourdough, baguettes, focaccia and bloomers as well as NOT cross buns (I really cannot be arsed with the pointless decorative cross), madeira cake, lemon drizzle cake and stollen.

Even more bizarre is that we have two proper bakers locally from whom we have bought quality bread and cake for years.  Just fancied doing my own.

The course we did was run by one of the two local bakers and he has been supplying me with various flours for my baking throughout.

What do you all cover your dough with while it proves? Last time so used a ramp tea towel, like I always have done, and when the dough rose enough to touch it, removing the tea towel meant all the gas for let out the dough and I got dwarven battle bread. The dough is in a 900g loaf tin..
My current recipe has uncovered dough, so not much help.

Have you dried dusting the top of the dough with flour?

No I haven't. Would that cause issues with the dry flour and damp tea towel?

J

I use a dirt cheap clear plastic shower cap.

« Reply #635 on: 15 February, 2021, 08:07:03 am »
I’m wondering what I’m missing now. I don’t think I’ve seen a recipe that talks about plastic bags. The first rise, for me, happens in the mixing bowl I used for mixing.

citoyen

« Reply #636 on: 15 February, 2021, 09:20:08 am »
I’m wondering what I’m missing now. I don’t think I’ve seen a recipe that talks about plastic bags. The first rise, for me, happens in the mixing bowl I used for mixing.

'Proving bags' seem to be a thing now. They were all using them in the last series of Bake Off. I've never seen one mentioned in a recipe, but you'd use it in place of a sheet of clingfilm or whatever else you use to cover the dough during proving - just slip the whole tin/tray inside the bag.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #637 on: 15 February, 2021, 09:29:25 am »
In the days before the bread machine I used to use a standard supermarket plastic bag.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #638 on: 16 February, 2021, 01:06:51 pm »
I love the message on your lame.
It is one of my Best Things.

« Reply #639 on: 23 February, 2021, 12:44:48 pm »
Sourdough is better in winter...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #640 on: 10 March, 2021, 07:31:41 pm »
Using old fast action yeast, by old october 2019, and it is proving in a pot of water to see if it comes to life.

Two sachets so far and it isn't that lively...

« Reply #641 on: 11 March, 2021, 05:00:19 pm »
No, unlikely to revive. I seem to recall its max life is about 6 months.
Rust never sleeps

citoyen

« Reply #642 on: 11 March, 2021, 05:14:12 pm »
The sachets last a lot longer than the tins of loose yeast - I find the tins don't last very long at all once opened, as little as a week or two.

« Reply #643 on: 11 March, 2021, 06:15:18 pm »
The sachets last a lot longer than the tins of loose yeast - I find the tins don't last very long at all once opened, as little as a week or two.

Do you keep the tins in the fridge after opening? I didn't for ages, until I read the small print on the side - my instant yeast seems to stay viable for a couple of months that way.

citoyen

« Reply #644 on: 11 March, 2021, 06:17:56 pm »

Do you keep the tins in the fridge after opening? I didn't for ages, until I read the small print on the side - my instant yeast seems to stay viable for a couple of months that way.

Never occurred to me. Thanks for the tip!

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #645 on: 11 March, 2021, 06:27:00 pm »

Works for me, too. At least a couple of months, at a guess.
(next time I open a tin I will try and remember to write the date on it)

« Reply #646 on: 11 March, 2021, 08:53:19 pm »
A couple of weeks ago I opened a tin of yeast with 'BBE 10/2020' printed on it that I had mislaid in my food storage facility  ::-)

It has lived in the fridge since opening (as usual) and seems absolutely fine.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #647 on: 14 March, 2021, 12:00:19 pm »
I find that the tinned dried yeast gradually loses its efficacy. The Panasonic recipe for a 400g loaf suggests ½ teaspoon full of yeast. That's fine straight after the vacuum seal has been broken but it takes me a while to finish one of those tins. By the time I get to the last quarter, I'm upping the quantity to 3/4 a spoonful.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

« Reply #648 on: 14 March, 2021, 02:00:10 pm »
Most of my bread is sourdough, so I don’t use baker’s yeast often enough to get through a tin before it goes off, hence I tend to use sachets instead. But we do have a tin that has been sitting unopened in the cupboard for several months, and this discussion has inspired me to actually use it, so I made a couple of loaves the other day. Turned out fine.

And based on the principle that it’s better to use up the tin quickly once opened, this morning I made a batch of cinnamon buns and toffee & almond buns. For these, the recipe specifies 50g fresh yeast, so I converted that to 20g dried yeast. Probably could have done with a bit more, tbh - the dough did rise, but not as quickly as I would expect.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #649 on: 15 March, 2021, 10:22:46 pm »
Iffen I could work out how to embed video I could treat you to a time lapse of paint drying my latest loaf in all its oven springy goodness. But I can't. Count yourselves lucky.