Author Topic: Virgin Media email problems  (Read 2040 times)

Virgin Media email problems
« on: 26 June, 2019, 01:29:07 pm »
I haven't been able to access my email (on blueyonder.co.uk) for almost two weeks. Made repeated calls to their support, which sounds to be based on the Indian subcontinent these days. Each time given an estimate of when it will be fixed, but it never is. Latest estimate today is by July 1st.

I have been forced to transfer all my critical contacts to a yahoo address, and am now faced with spending hours transferring the rest.

Anyone else having similar problems on Virgin? All seems to be linked to a so-called "upgrade" of their email system. I'm now researching alternative ISPs with a view to moving, current least bad option seems to be John Lewis, which uses Plusnet.

Re: Virgin Media email problems
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2019, 01:31:48 pm »
Get a separate Email account to your ISP.
I recommend Fastmail. Extremely reliable.

https://fastmail.fm
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2019, 01:56:01 pm »

I'll go one further and say register your own domain, ideally using a service that provides mail redirection.  That way you can use any email provider ('free' or otherwise), and change whenever you like without having to change email address.

« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2019, 02:49:56 pm »

I'll go one further and say register your own domain, ideally using a service that provides mail redirection.  That way you can use any email provider ('free' or otherwise), and change whenever you like without having to change email address.

This ^

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2019, 02:52:44 pm »
I already have other email addresses to use. My main complaint is the amount of time it is taking Virgin Media to sort the problem. It seems impossible to get beyond the foreign support centre which I have difficulty understanding over a poor quality line.

This morning I registered an official complaint, and as a result (I use the term loosely) have just received another call from India which has not progressed the situation in any way. Maybe time for Ofcom, not that that will achieve anything much.

« Reply #5 on: 26 June, 2019, 03:18:44 pm »
Not experiencing any problems here using old ntlworld.com addresses.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2019, 03:22:13 pm »
We have Virgin Media but the only reason we stick with it is its (claimed) superior broadband speed over everything else available locally. It's fine when it's working but we find that the connection drops regularly, despite being assured that there are no faults on our line. The TV package is over-priced and inflexible.

Recently it was "upgraded" with a bunch of additional unwanted channels, at an increased monthly cost. When I complained that I didn't want the upgrade I was told that I had no choice other than to cancel the whole package.

After my complaint they had the cheek to send me a customer satisfaction survey, with the option of ticking a box if I wanted a response to any of the feedback that I had provided.  I never heard back.  ::-)

I'll be switching as soon as another provider comes along with similar BB speeds.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #7 on: 02 July, 2019, 09:11:31 am »
I've just seen something posted on Facebook from a Company called Cobweb. It says they provided Virgin with the Blueyonder email service under contract, but this has now been cancelled by Virgin. Was supposed to have been turned off yesterday & Virgin said they had notified all users. Cobweb go on to say they've received lots of calls so have turned the service back on until 10th July & there is an email address and tel no. to contact them if you wish to keep using the email service.

« Reply #8 on: 02 July, 2019, 11:33:44 am »
Thanks, but this doesn't seem to correlate with my problem. We have two email accounts, one for me, the other for Mrs O. The latter has remained functional, mine is still unavailable nearly three weeks later. Each time I call they promise it will be fixed next day, but it never is. The only good news for me is that Virgin Media is about to send out yet another notice of an above-inflation price increase, which entitles users to terminate the contract without penalty.

Meanwhile I am working on moving all my contacts to another email address.