Author Topic: Irrelevant signs  (Read 11585 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Irrelevant signs
« on: 25 November, 2020, 07:45:16 pm »
Leaving Ardrossan harbour upon a ferry to Arran, a photo appeared

Re: Irrelevant signs
« Reply #1 on: 25 November, 2020, 08:47:31 pm »
I haven't got a picture, however quite a common sign is 'No road markings'.  Well obviously, if you're travelling along a newly repaired road and there are no white lines is it not obvious that there are no road markings'?  What is the naffing point of these signs?
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 25 November, 2020, 09:18:47 pm »
I haven't got a picture, however quite a common sign is 'No road markings'.  Well obviously, if you're travelling along a newly repaired road and there are no white lines is it not obvious that there are no road markings'?  What is the naffing point of these signs?

Like many signs, they're an indication that somebody got sued for something once.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 26 November, 2020, 01:53:48 am »
The ones on the motorway network of this Septic Sceptred Isle that say “For Destination_X Follow Destination_Y”.

Apropos Slope's sign, I spotted this one on the Royal Gorge Bridge in Colorado's famous Colorado a few years ago:

P9250133 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Most sources agree that the Arkansas River is about three hundred metres from the sign.  Vertically.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4 on: 26 November, 2020, 09:23:01 am »
Perhaps even more puzzling, is the sign on the A93 approaching Braemar from the east.
"No Double Centre Lines" 
I guess the inference is that there should be but we've not got round to painting them yet? The sign has been there for years though.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.0033468,-3.3441836,3a,54.8y,271.57h,85.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srdeY74FO9vTFOZaFCgdZhA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

« Reply #5 on: 26 November, 2020, 09:39:28 am »

Like many signs, they're an indication that somebody got sued for something once.

Over here in USAnia where the standard approach is to put up road signs for every sort of announcement, warning, regulation, etc., there are places where one sees "Primitive Road - No Warning Signs".   In other words, since the right to have a drivers' license is thought by many to be about the 2.5th amendment to the Constitution, you need to be told that you are not about to be spoonfed.

About a dozen years ago I drove several hundred miles in that Scotland.  The lack of extraneous signs improved the view of the scenery (and made it easier to focus on driving on the proper side of the road).  I had missed the part in the pocket-size "UK Road Rules" book about the rural speed limit, but can tell you I had no interest in driving 60 mph on narrow roads with tall stone walls obscuring my view around corners, anyway.  I never figured out what all of the various squiggly  and dashed lines along the road edges meant (parking restrictions, I believe now), but it certainly makes more sense than all of the where to park and when not to park signs we have here.  I suppose there are places here with snow on the ground for much of the winter which might make relying on markings on the road surface a bit iffy, but for the rest of the country, seems like it would be nice to not have the signs everywhere.

« Reply #6 on: 26 November, 2020, 09:55:49 am »
Somewhere in the north of England there is a sign beside a remote railway line.
It says, "DO NOT THROW STONES AT THIS NOTICE".
Allegedy.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7 on: 26 November, 2020, 11:06:46 am »
Over here in USAnia where the standard approach is to put up road signs for every sort of announcement, warning, regulation, etc., there are places where one sees "Primitive Road - No Warning Signs".   In other words, since the right to have a drivers' license is thought by many to be about the 2.5th amendment to the Constitution, you need to be told that you are not about to be spoonfed.

In New Mexico there are two sorts of single carriageway roads, viz. those that traverse the scorching plains™ and those in the mountains.  The latter have blind corners and frequent changes of gradient while the former lack the twisty bits but have plenty of dips and crests to trap the unwary, fill with flood water and provide cover for Billy the Kid.  Thus both have frequent "no passing" zones.  At the start of each and every such zone there is, on the left of the road, one of these:

P9230096 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

while on the right there is one of these:

P9230097 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

And at the end of the zone, one of these:

P9230098 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

These three, by the way, were no more than a hundred yards apart.  The signs are quite large and made from aluminium.  We have similarly-constructed signs to mark off the distances at Battle Mountain; had they not fallen off the back of Don Schroeder's then-employer we'd have had to stick with the ancient home-brewed wooden ones which never quite recovered from spending a Several of months in a shipping container half-full of snow-melt.  Anyway, there must be untold thousands of these signs in New Mexico.  Quite how they remain unstolen by the local [“oiks” – The Invigilator] is a mystery worthy of Benedict Cucumberpatch.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 26 November, 2020, 02:51:20 pm »
One of those yellow ones, or even a white one, would make a great tourist trophy.

Perhaps even more puzzling, is the sign on the A93 approaching Braemar from the east.
"No Double Centre Lines" 
I guess the inference is that there should be but we've not got round to painting them yet? The sign has been there for years though.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.0033468,-3.3441836,3a,54.8y,271.57h,85.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srdeY74FO9vTFOZaFCgdZhA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Could be that, or I reckon it could be that they wanted to paint double lines but the road was too narrow to meet the appropriate standard.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #9 on: 26 November, 2020, 04:29:33 pm »
"No Double Centre Lines" 

I thought this one would put in an appearance. :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #10 on: 26 November, 2020, 06:06:30 pm »
One of those yellow ones, or even a white one, would make a great tourist trophy.

Sadly I'm pretty sure none of them would fit in The Luggage even if I had the tools to separate sign from legs.

« Reply #11 on: 27 November, 2020, 07:47:01 am »
Sadly I'm pretty sure none of them would fit in The Luggage even if I had the tools to separate sign from legs.

But for best wild-west souvenir effect you would want one with the target-practice bullet holes

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #12 on: 27 November, 2020, 08:13:09 am »

But for best wild-west souvenir effect you would want one with the target-practice bullet holes

Indeed.  The ultimate would probably be one of the signs proclaiming NV-375 to be “The Extraterrestrial Highway”.  The last time I passed that way the one at the Crystal Springs end was more hole than sign :P

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13 on: 27 November, 2020, 05:28:36 pm »

Indeed.  The ultimate would probably be one of the signs proclaiming NV-375 to be “The Extraterrestrial Highway”.  The last time I passed that way the one at the Crystal Springs end was more hole than sign :P
But those aren't bullet holes, they're frickin lazer holes!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 27 November, 2020, 07:27:38 pm »
The 'No Cycling' sign inside the lift at Coventry Station amused me...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15 on: 27 November, 2020, 07:38:59 pm »
Challenge to a BMXer? Or a unicyclist...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 27 November, 2020, 07:44:11 pm »
Not so much of a challenge to a tricyclist.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #17 on: 27 November, 2020, 08:13:22 pm »
"No Double Centre Lines" 

I have on a number of occasions wondered if that sign means:
1. Please Don't overtake even though it's not illegal in any way and there's reasonable enough sight lines for a bit to get past the tourists crawling at 25mph
Or 2. FFS Overtake the tourists crawling at 25mph because they're shitting themselves on this "narrow" road, if you don't do it now then you'll need to wait until the Friarton.