Author Topic: Show us your wood pile (wood burners)  (Read 108475 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: Show us your wood pile (wood burners)
« Reply #50 on: 27 February, 2014, 07:34:33 pm »
He's 12.  And so long as the dangerous-if-not-respected tools are flagged to him as dangerous if not respected, pretty sensible about that kind of thing :)

Charlotte - he still hasn't forgotten that he realised (possibly at Edwardstone?) that you might be able to teach him all sorts of Exciting Stuffs one day when he was a bit older.  The EldestCub, like an elephant, never forgets.  Some things, at least.  Every once in a while he'll suddenly remember, usually at a completely unconnected moment when you're in the middle of something, and say "you know your friend? When will we see them?" or words to that effect.  It can take a while to decipher the musings of an EC but a bit of quizzing frequently clarifies that he means the "London person who does fire and archery and guns and sharp things".  I think we can all guess who that is....

Apparently the fan-doobery upthread was indeed a Stirling Engine doobery.  Very effective indeed. 

spindrift

« Reply #52 on: 28 February, 2014, 02:59:59 pm »
Our log man ran out of hardwood last week luckily we have enough for now. Apparently the popularity of wood stoves has made a lot of the estates that used to supply them with firewood grade trees decide to go either go into business for themselves providing firewood or sell it to larger suppliers.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #53 on: 28 February, 2014, 03:45:24 pm »
Picture off firewood tower

http://www.inspirationgreen.com/firewood-as-art.html
Oh my inner pyro would love to sneak a match to this :)

Our Squirrel is ticking away behind me after its second not so smelly burn, still hot after not being fed for an hour and a half. The dog is happy drying off after her little run in our local beck in front of it.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #54 on: 28 February, 2014, 03:47:51 pm »
Yes, and it's getting harder to find decent stuff at a competetive price now.  Plenty of chancers have started up around but their wood is crap.
Light scrumping in the woodlands, although not legal, was sort of tolerated as long as you didn't take the piss and were a local.  That's beginning to change now as well.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #55 on: 02 March, 2014, 04:07:42 pm »

Well our woof likes the fire, now I just need to get the hang of it and some proper wood. I put our trangia kettle on it with two cups of water and it boiled in 12 min :)

Strike that - 5min a bit later for our first cuppa from the stove :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #56 on: 10 March, 2014, 10:19:16 am »
A little tip passed on to me at the weekend by our local hardware shop (that sells wood burners and uses one to heat the entire shop). Lay a bed of smokeless fuel and put your logs on that. Makes burning bigger logs easier and will help the fire stay in longer. Do NOT use coal as it burns too hot.
Bought a bag as an experiment and tried it. It works really well. You don't need much smokeless fuel for this. I but a few pieces on before I went to bed as well and topped up with logs. When we got up in the morning the eco fan was still wizzing around !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #57 on: 10 March, 2014, 11:16:50 am »
My Scottish burner.

« Reply #58 on: 12 March, 2014, 08:33:21 am »
Somewhat off-topic:

My fire-rope seal round the door, replaced about a year ago, has worked fine until it decided to part company from the door, and showed itself to be disintegrating. What did I do wrong? Ideas welcome!

(Picture of woodpile to follow...)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #59 on: 03 April, 2014, 01:41:33 pm »
None of these are our woodpile, as we live in that Londonton, but this is a friend's:

My parents':

In a forest near Bridgnorth:

Getting there...

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #60 on: 22 April, 2014, 11:19:34 am »
Not a lot to show for 2.5 hours work, but it was one of those "Job's done!" moment.

Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #61 on: 25 April, 2014, 06:49:28 pm »
Another load of free wood arrived today, lots of previously loved 2x4 from an extension remodelling and a pallet.  :thumbsup: Tomorrow were collecting another 200 logs from a local supplier. This will give us 2.5 - 3m3 to burn.

« Reply #62 on: 26 April, 2014, 09:26:10 am »
Wood pile is about 5' high, 6' deep and 4' wide.

This load needs cutting and there is half again in the shed at the back.

Indi had a whale of a time following me out to the front, watch me load the bins, and follows me back through the house carrying the bins of logs.

Riggers

« Reply #63 on: 29 April, 2014, 01:31:02 pm »
That last pic would make a very weird postcard. Perhaps from: Swindon welcomes you! as the title.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #64 on: 29 April, 2014, 03:26:07 pm »
Oi! That's Saarfend that is!
The loss of humanity I could live with.

« Reply #65 on: 29 April, 2014, 03:27:17 pm »
That last pic would make a very weird postcard. Perhaps from: Swindon welcomes you! as the title.
You takin' the piss out of my dog? Bet you spilled my pint too! GIT! Oh yeh yer Mum dresses you funny!
Is that Swindon enough?   ;)

Cut the longer logs to fit the stove. There are others but they're in the pile and I'll do them as they turn up.

Riggers

« Reply #66 on: 29 April, 2014, 03:59:00 pm »
Have you cut your dog's other legs off. I can only see one now.

« Reply #67 on: 29 April, 2014, 04:11:02 pm »
Have you cut your dog's other legs off. I can only see one now.
He used to be called Tripod but he answers to Hoppy now.  ::-)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #68 on: 29 April, 2014, 08:54:47 pm »
My wood pile is currently a big Horse-bucket full of sawn-up floor joists until I organise a delivery.

Here's the new Wood burner though, fitted today and just bedding in (I think I've finally fanned the room clear of smoke and fumes now).

Burley Debdale.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #69 on: 30 April, 2014, 05:37:50 pm »
Had 700kg of pre-cut, kiln-dried ash logs delivered today, 70 nets (which makes handling them very easy - just cut open one net as required and decant into log basket).  Should be good for a winter and a half based on likely use.  Some is in the conservatory and the rest stacked on a pallet in the yard with a tarp on top.  They came on a large pallet with 10 in each layer, 7 layers tall.  It doesn't look like too much now it's divided and restacked.

Picture of wood burner when it's been installed on Friday or Saturday and not just parked on the carpet.  It's not in a fireplace; it just sits 200mm from the wall on a granite hearth, with a gert black fluepipe* coming out of the top and then going through the wall at 45 degrees.  On the outside there is an affair that looks like the stack on a Chinese takeaway.  It's a 5kW Morso Badger 3112.

*this gives out a ton of heat as well and is single walled until it actually has to pass through the wall, at which poin t it has to change to double-wall.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #70 on: 30 April, 2014, 05:45:08 pm »
The wood store:

P1020484.JPG by pencyclist, on Flickr

More logs to process (in the background), closely guarded by Alice:
P1020483.JPG by pencyclist, on Flickr
Pen Pusher

« Reply #71 on: 24 May, 2014, 04:44:10 pm »
We have added a green roof to one of our woodstores  :smug:

« Reply #72 on: 24 May, 2014, 04:55:08 pm »
We have added a green roof to one of our woodstores  :smug:

Nice touch! Do you want a noose for the gallows instead of the bird feeder?  ;)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #73 on: 11 June, 2014, 10:28:35 am »
My wood pile is currently a big Horse-bucket full of sawn-up floor joists until I organise a delivery.

Here's the new Wood burner though, fitted today and just bedding in (I think I've finally fanned the room clear of smoke and fumes now).

Burley Debdale.

Just took delivery of a woodstore.  Just waiting for an initial delivery of logs from local supplier (as it looks a bit pathetic with my remnants in there)

Once that arrives and I chuck it all in there then my work is done until winter.  I see the Log Burner as a way of turning the negative of cold/wet winter evenings into positive cozy evenings by the fire.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #74 on: 19 June, 2014, 06:45:41 pm »
1 cubic metre of logs later..

.. and I have a bone fida wood pile.