Author Topic: Show us your wood pile (wood burners)  (Read 108481 times)

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
Re: Show us your wood pile (wood burners)
« Reply #25 on: 22 November, 2013, 05:42:40 pm »
Here is ours, was installed at the end of August. Not sure why we didn't do it sooner.

You have our mirror
Owner of a languishing Langster

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #26 on: 22 November, 2013, 05:56:53 pm »
I have a woodburner but am screwed if the electricity goes out as it has a back boiler with a pumped flow across the attic rather than a gravity loop :(
I am working on a cunning plan involving battery backup just for the central heating pumps.
Fit a therrmopile power source to the back burner? Then it will generate the power for the pump as needed.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 22 November, 2013, 07:57:12 pm »
I have a woodburner but am screwed if the electricity goes out as it has a back boiler with a pumped flow across the attic rather than a gravity loop :(
I am working on a cunning plan involving battery backup just for the central heating pumps.
Fit a therrmopile power source to the back burner? Then it will generate the power for the pump as needed.

Stirling engine.  :D

spindrift

« Reply #28 on: 22 November, 2013, 08:24:34 pm »
Someone down my road has one like Domestique's, chimney alcoves are floor to ceiling books and they watch telly with all other lights off so the room is lit by big crackling flames.

« Reply #29 on: 24 November, 2013, 06:13:26 pm »
Stirling engine.  :D

That would be brilliant. I wanted a stirling engine stove fan but the tick tick tick would drive Mrs Pcolbeck mad so I ended up with a peltier one instead.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #30 on: 02 December, 2013, 10:13:22 am »

I can nearly trump T42's Alsatian pile!
Alas, this obsessionally tidy pile  is not mine, but spotted on a summer visit to Finland.
(I worked on a farm there as a teenager, and went back to see my old boss there
in July in Kerimaki; they have a similar stove-you-can-sleep-on!)

« Reply #31 on: 25 January, 2014, 05:23:52 pm »
Been doing a bit of work at the field today, there is a second wood pile growing there.

There is an oak tree which has been looking quite bad for the last few years so we have decided to take it down.

Then we brought this back home for processing.

In the meantime as a bit of tree replacement we have planted 10 Alder trees, with a further 10 hornbeam trees on order.

2_Flat_Erics in action

« Reply #32 on: 25 January, 2014, 07:20:14 pm »
I hope you've got some better tools, not just a hand saw, to deal with those oak logs.

« Reply #33 on: 26 January, 2014, 11:28:46 am »
Yep, it was all hand (hard) work whilst at the field.
We have an elcetric chainsaw at home which takes care of things  :smug:

« Reply #34 on: 26 January, 2014, 11:36:34 am »
My log grenade is stuck in a round of well seasoned apple and I have lost my sledge hammer :(

« Reply #35 on: 26 January, 2014, 12:36:18 pm »
Never had much sucess with the grenade. Just seems to bed itself into the wood  :-\
We have got a 2.7Kg maul which really does split most things with minimal effort.

« Reply #36 on: 26 January, 2014, 12:49:39 pm »
I have a nice splitting maul but it just bounces off seasoned apple ....

« Reply #37 on: 26 January, 2014, 01:46:55 pm »
So far I have learnt in my wood burning days always split wood when its green if you want the easy life. We have some seasoned oak rounds that are quite simply indestructable and have resisted all efforts so far  :hand:

« Reply #38 on: 26 January, 2014, 03:10:00 pm »
I know. Unfortunately I didn't know that four years ago when we chopped the apple tree down ....

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #39 on: 26 January, 2014, 08:53:36 pm »
Yep, it was all hand (hard) work whilst at the field.
We have an elcetric chainsaw at home which takes care of things  :smug:
An eclectic chainsaw must be one which cuts a wide range of wood. Sounds like the best type to have.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #40 on: 01 February, 2014, 02:41:59 pm »
Our (rather pathetic) log pile this winter was mainly softwood from our demolished conservatory and out of date scaffold boards plus assorted softwood from a builder pal.
We had two metre3 bags at the start plus a pallet of scaff boards. Now all that's left is the scaff boards.

This is scaff kindling. It is super knotty stuff and hard to get decent splits. I bought a Roughneck kindling splitting axe and it's doing a good job.

Going to order a metre of logs next week and in the spring more scaff boards, which are free to us, and a couple more bulk log buys.

« Reply #41 on: 15 February, 2014, 09:35:44 am »
Two hundred cut logs collected this morning and stored in the store. They're a bit wet, no surprise, but the store, which is half greenhouse, will dry them before next winter. They are on a slatted floor so air can circulate and they get a fair bit of sun through the day.

We still have plenty of softwood too and a few more scaff boards in the work shed to cut down.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #42 on: 19 February, 2014, 10:56:24 pm »
Today we went relative-visiting.

EldestCub got to split a couple of hours-worth of logs.  Using an AXE, under the supervision of my uncle, whilst I was loitering obliviously in the house drinking coffee.  When I was informed of this I asked if he'd been sensible and listened and done as he was told and yes, indeed he had.  "Good," said I, "that's what I'd have expected but it's nice to be right about it."  Meanwhile my aunt was practically having kittens and looking at her husband in a "You let him do _what_?!?!?!" manner :D

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #43 on: 20 February, 2014, 04:55:17 pm »
Ah, an ecofan or the like, I'm thinking about building one. I think parts runs in at under £20 - even cheaper if you make the fan yourself and have an old heatsink from an old PC laying about - not near the £85-120 I see them going for online.

Our stove should be ready to play with tomorrow, can't wait to play with it :-)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #44 on: 21 February, 2014, 09:50:25 pm »
How old is eldest cub? Certainly old enough to be using an axe under supervision.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #45 on: 26 February, 2014, 05:39:54 pm »
Ah, an ecofan or the like, I'm thinking about building one. I think parts runs in at under £20 - even cheaper if you make the fan yourself and have an old heatsink from an old PC laying about - not near the £85-120 I see them going for online.

An ecofan bought or home made is brilliant if the stove is in a recess. Mrs Pcolbeck was very dubious when I bought ours but now she has it pointed at her place on the sofa ! They really do move the hot air about enough to make a difference. You ant feel the breeze from them with your hand but you can see the air stream if you put a taper or such like behind them and watch the smoke get blown out across the room. I want a stirling engine one next.

« Reply #46 on: 27 February, 2014, 01:07:14 pm »

Are you playing  :)

« Reply #47 on: 27 February, 2014, 01:29:57 pm »
Sorry no photos today but this year we've battled through 8 cubic meters of chestnut and acacia, last year 120 miles away 16 !!!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #48 on: 27 February, 2014, 01:34:15 pm »

Are you playing  :)
Just had our first burn, boy does a new stove stink on first burn. Need to do 3-4 more at low heat to harden the stove paint and remove the smell. Which sadly can hang about for a while yet.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: 27 February, 2014, 01:38:50 pm »
How old is eldest cub? Certainly old enough to be using an axe under supervision.

Absolutely.  Besides, splitting axes tend to be pretty blunt anyway.

When you want him to learn how to use a razor sharp carving axe, let me know  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk