Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1287149 times)

Elleigh

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #225 on: 07 August, 2008, 02:33:11 pm »
I started dieting this week.  I've lost two pounds :)

border-rider

« Reply #226 on: 07 August, 2008, 04:09:41 pm »

1) You would have less glycogen depletion as the more efficient fat metabolism allows you to get more calories from fat than the average person.

That must be a fairly minor effect though - even with a well-trained fat metabolism glycogen-burning dominates massively once you go to high intensities.

2) Post-exercise the body is able to replace more blood energy stores from fat metabolism.

Is it ?

Surely it's an entirely different fuel - with fat metabolism the muscles are running on fatty acids & stuff pumped into the bloodstream by the liver.  Whilst the body's pretty-good at making fat from carbohydrates, I'm not sure it works so well the other way.

What may be happening, I suppose, is that any carbo that you eat goes to restore glycogen stores rather than for general use - and general use energy continues to be provided to some extent by fat.

It's a complicated thing...

border-rider

« Reply #227 on: 07 August, 2008, 04:19:03 pm »

"Anaerobic exercise in the form of high-intensity interval training was also found in one study to result in greater loss of subcutaneous fat, even though the subjects expended fewer than half as many calories during exercise.[2]"

Yes, but from the same source:

Whether this result was caused by the EPOC effect has not been established, and the caloric content of the participants' diet was not controlled during this particular study period.

I've found a couple of HIIT sessions a week has a more noticeable effect on my blubberiness than a regular diet of doughnuts audax rides.

Agreed.  Audaxing isn't a great way to lose weight unless you very carefully control what you eat

HIIT certainly has its place - not least to stave off the boredom of LSD - but it will leave you glycogen-depleted.  It may be that when you go out next day, you actually are using more fat because of that depletion.

I know that the exception to the audax non-weight-loss is an event like LEL  or a 1000 if you push yourself - on the last day of the NF1000 in 2006 I couldn't get my heart rate into double figures, even in the hills, on fixed.  I suspect that's because I was running on fat, having burned away a lot of fast-release glycogen. 

I've also noticed that I drink next-to-nothing in that situation.  PeterM commented on it on LEL - I filled my second bottle and he said "I bet you don't touch that all day". He was right.

border-rider

« Reply #228 on: 07 August, 2008, 04:29:17 pm »
Interesting stuff here:

As exercise intensities increased above 40% VO2max, fat-oxidation rates gradually increased too, reaching a maximum of 0.6 grams per minute at an average intensity of 64% VO2max. There was an incredible range in this Fatmax intensity, however, with some individuals reaching Fatmax at 42% VO2max, and others not hitting it until they soared to 84% VO2max! Fatmax corresponded with an average heart rate of 74% of maximum, but again there was considerable variation, with some athletes attaining Fatmax at 54% of max heart rate and others not reaching it until 92% of max.

The Fatmax zone was located between 55 and 72% VO2max, or between 68 and 79% of max heart rate. As indicated above, rates of fat burning dropped precipitously once athletes moved above the Fatmax zone. In fact, fat oxidation dropped to zero above an average of 89% VO2max (just below the intensity of a 10k road race or a 40k bike race). Again, there was wide variation between individuals, however, with some athletes burning no fat once they had reached 71% VO2max (84% of max heart rate) and others continuing to burn it until they reached an amazing 99% VO2max (98% of max heart rate)!

Metabolism

« Reply #229 on: 07 August, 2008, 04:33:57 pm »
Very interesting...

454g at 0.6g/min =~ 12 and a half hours

So a non-stressful 200km Audax with no food and you can drop a lb.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #230 on: 07 August, 2008, 04:49:08 pm »

1) You would have less glycogen depletion as the more efficient fat metabolism allows you to get more calories from fat than the average person.

That must be a fairly minor effect though - even with a well-trained fat metabolism glycogen-burning dominates massively once you go to high intensities.
Interval sessions will always use SOME fat, as you spend SOME time at low intensities. And us non-elite athletes will tend to spend less %age time at the highest intensities, in general.
2) Post-exercise the body is able to replace more blood energy stores from fat metabolism.

Is it ?

MAYBE those with a WTFM will feel less hungry in the period after a workout (they're able to function better in a glycogen-depleted state e.g. when TTing for 60 miles without food after vomiting. Say.)
So they are less likely to consume more calories than they really need post-workout.
Maybe ....
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris S

« Reply #231 on: 07 August, 2008, 05:27:03 pm »
Very interesting...

454g at 0.6g/min =~ 12 and a half hours

So a non-stressful 200km Audax with no food and you can drop a lb.

I managed a similar weight loss yesterday whilst simply lying on my back. Not exactly sustainable though...

border-rider

« Reply #232 on: 07 August, 2008, 05:45:44 pm »

I managed a similar weight loss yesterday whilst simply lying on my back. Not exactly sustainable though...

Unless Mrs Chris was involved, that's an awful lot of masturbating.

Chris S

« Reply #233 on: 07 August, 2008, 05:52:30 pm »

Unless Mrs Chris was involved, that's an awful lot of masturbating.

;D - Next time I'm giving blood, I'll give that a try, it might help the blood flow  :thumbsup:

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #234 on: 07 August, 2008, 09:31:50 pm »
3.5 pounds off this week.  In eight weeks I have lost 1.5 stone, a long way to go yet though. 

I just hope my holiday in Jersey next week doesn't mess it all up  :-\

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #235 on: 07 August, 2008, 09:34:22 pm »
3.5 pounds off this week.  In eight weeks I have lost 1.5 stone, a long way to go yet though. 

If you are anything like me, you can guarantee that a holiday will put some weight back on.

What I would do is set a target for how much weight increase I would allow myself, and as long as it's nottoo far off hte mark, it's all planned for and then you can resume your diet afterwards and have a great holiday without worrying too much about what you eat.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Gandalf

« Reply #236 on: 08 August, 2008, 07:19:46 am »
You're right Baggers, it is is pretty inevitable, still at least I won't have to worry about excessive beer consumption...I'm going away with the Mrs and her sanctimony remains unabated even when on holiday  :(

I'm determined to get up and go for a run of a morning though.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #237 on: 08 August, 2008, 09:04:23 am »

Well done Gandalf!   :thumbsup:

Don't worry about a holiday.  If you put on, it'll still come off in the end.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #238 on: 08 August, 2008, 05:47:52 pm »
OK.  :(

3 sets of new known-to-be-accurate scales have been obtained at work.

A check reveals, as was suspected, that 1) the old scales were all over- and under-reading and 2) I have indeed lapsed  :(  >:( 88.2 kg.

The weight I'm happy at is about 85 kg, so there is work to be done.

About that dried fruit: correct re kJ / kcal misreading. A 150 g bag has 400 kcal.

Still rather more than I'd like.

« Reply #239 on: 13 August, 2008, 11:59:47 am »
OK, now that I have scales I can really trust I am now weighing myself minus heavy boots and coins in pockets. Also I did feel rather bloated last week for some reason. I've been extremely careful with the intake over the last week.

This is much more like it:

83.9 kg

I'll put last week down as some sort of aberration.

Regulator

« Reply #240 on: 13 August, 2008, 01:28:59 pm »
I have my weigh in tonight.  I think I've probably stayed the same or put on - it was a bit of a heavy week/weekend both food and booze wise.

Back on the straight and narrow next week...

Green Party Councillor

Gandalf

« Reply #241 on: 13 August, 2008, 06:25:35 pm »
No weigh in for me tonight, I'm on hols with no scales.  Next week's will be interesting.

Regulator

« Reply #242 on: 13 August, 2008, 07:05:52 pm »
Buggrit!  2½lbs on this week... :-[ :'(

Too much beer and cake over the weekend I think.  Back on the straight and narrow this week.

Mind you, the nice lady did say that as I was doing a lot of cycling I might be putting on muscle - but I think she was just being kind...

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #243 on: 13 August, 2008, 09:41:20 pm »
I'm going as much on how the old torso looks / wobbles as much as anything. Not much wobble, to be sure, but I want to get to the point where the more charitable might describe me as "lean".

Once in a while I find myself feeling uncomfortably big about the abdomen. It's not externally visible lard, it's just that I feel really "full" and a bit heavy. The scales reflected this last week.

Maybe it's something to do with that dried fruit  ;D

Big drop this week, but that is in part due to changing my practices, removing shoes etc. 

Anyway. Keep going Regulator, haven't seen you lately but in forum pics the difference is notable.

Elleigh

« Reply #244 on: 13 August, 2008, 10:36:09 pm »
I've just bought a new pair of city shorts and found the size 10 too big and had to buy a pair in size 8  (YIPEE!), but still need to loose another 6 or 7 lbs

« Reply #245 on: 20 August, 2008, 12:00:19 pm »
84.1 kg. That's seems about right to me, I'd like to stay about there - the next challenge is to see if I can maintain that while making another lifestyle change...

« Reply #246 on: 20 August, 2008, 12:02:58 pm »
81.0kg. It's crept up again. Drinking a bit more (going to cut down after a friends wedding in 3 weeks), eating more and I've felt shattered enough not to cycle in to work at all in August.

Time to put the effort in again to make it go back in the right direction.

12st (76.2kg) by beginning of November would be nice.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #247 on: 20 August, 2008, 12:07:44 pm »
I'm as certain as I can be that my ability to lose weight is very closely linked to my arthritic attacks.

When my ankles and feet are swollen and painful, everything becomes a chore and comfort eating a release.

I had a steroid injection last week, after two weeks of gain, and lo and behold: I had the Dun Run for Wimps and more physical activity generally and I've lost 1kg without any real effort. It puts the expression "no pain, no gain" in an entirely different light! ;)

Let's hope the extra riding at to/at/from Mildenhall will help me knock off another kg for next Wednesday.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

« Reply #248 on: 20 August, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »
3 lb off today!   :D :thumbsup:

I reckon I'll be up after my holiday next week, but then I'll make a concerted effort.

Green Party Councillor

alan

« Reply #249 on: 21 August, 2008, 02:30:51 pm »
HellsBells :o
I've lost a whole kilo ;D

Perhaps I should do a night ride to Skeggy every Saturday :-\