Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1252656 times)

LEE

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #400 on: 21 January, 2009, 02:16:30 pm »
I'm aiming to lose 27 kg by december to get down :o to 100kg. That's a lb a week, or 500 calories shortfall a day.

Note to self. Get back on the bike, and stop eating pies  :thumbsup:

1Lb a week is perfectly sensible on both the healthy weightloss AND achievability fronts.

It's what I use (every year unfortunately).

It really doesn't need much of a lifestyle change to achieve.  Cutting out the snacks and a bit of riding does it for me. 

Occasionally, usually a few days after an Audax, I loose a couple more pounds.  I treat this as a bonus.

Chris S

« Reply #401 on: 21 January, 2009, 02:33:57 pm »
1Lb a week is perfectly sensible on both the healthy weightloss AND achievability fronts.

It's what I use (every year unfortunately).

But it is quite hard to keep up, week in week out - possibly explaining why you have to use it every year ;).

I'm trying a much stricter regime this time around to get to a target weight, and will then revert to a more sustainable WoL in an attempt to maintain that new weight.

annie

« Reply #402 on: 21 January, 2009, 02:44:21 pm »
I quite agree with ChrisS.  My weight  is normally stable at around 8stone, it rarely goes up more than a 1lb or so over a month or two.  I just over indulged last year and need to do a little bit of spring cleaning.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #403 on: 22 January, 2009, 01:06:26 am »
1½lbs off this week.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #404 on: 24 January, 2009, 06:22:30 pm »
Its official!!  I am now a Phat B'tard.  Got to get out more!  100kg :sick:

Chris S

« Reply #405 on: 27 January, 2009, 09:39:32 pm »
Bah! I'm hungry  >:(

I've had my calorie allowance for today - but I'm still Rumbly in my Tumbly... :(

* fantasises about a big bowl of cereal, or Ambrosia, or some Toast & Honey *

Must.... resist....

« Reply #406 on: 28 January, 2009, 06:09:01 am »
A couple of weeks away have had a bad influence on me up another 2kg  :-[ :-[ :-[

But at last I am on the way down just further to go.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #407 on: 28 January, 2009, 09:07:39 am »
Well, I've stopped the increase (and got back down from a peak which was higher mid-week).

Hopefully, being back on the bike will make some sort of difference.

Oh - and pleeeeeeeease can the record thread be a sticky?

EDIT:  Crikey that was fast!  Thank you :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #408 on: 28 January, 2009, 09:55:34 am »
Oh - and pleeeeeeeease can the record thread be a sticky?

EDIT:  Crikey that was fast!  Thank you :thumbsup:

Hold on - it's not sticky - all I did was resubmit my entry which bounces the thread to the top of the list. Sticky is something else - but this method is used elsewhere on the Forum - such as the RRTY Log on the Audax board.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #409 on: 28 January, 2009, 10:50:45 am »
Oh.  Resubmitting your entry?  I don't understand.  Is that different from modifying the post?  If we all know, then we can keep bumping it.
Getting there...

« Reply #410 on: 28 January, 2009, 10:57:56 am »
I just bookmarked it.

Up a little this week, hopefully due to new muscle rather than extra lard (I can't really see it being the latter with my carefull controlled diet).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #411 on: 28 January, 2009, 11:25:13 am »
I've been off fatfighters (i.e. Weightwatchers) for 6 months now and was at my parents house last week, I got on the scales for the first time in months and was shocked to discover that I have maintained the same weight! For most of my life I have struggled with my weight, and was inclined to believe that I would follow my Mum in doing lots of diets and yo-yo dieting. I don't think I have cracked it but I do believe that this regular cycling malarkey (plus portion control), especially cycling continuously through the year is an incredible help at keeping the weight down.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #412 on: 28 January, 2009, 11:26:00 am »
Congratulations! :)
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #413 on: 28 January, 2009, 11:36:38 am »
I've been off fatfighters (i.e. Weightwatchers) for 6 months now and was at my parents house last week, I got on the scales for the first time in months and was shocked to discover that I have maintained the same weight! For most of my life I have struggled with my weight, and was inclined to believe that I would follow my Mum in doing lots of diets and yo-yo dieting. I don't think I have cracked it but I do believe that this regular cycling malarkey (plus portion control), especially cycling continuously through the year is an incredible help at keeping the weight down.

Well done you, and I fully agree!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #414 on: 28 January, 2009, 11:38:15 am »
Congratulations! :)

Cheers Clarion! I am officially obese according to my BMI but I feel fit and healthy and if I can keep my weight around the same level then its a lot better for me than constantly dieting.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #415 on: 28 January, 2009, 11:40:15 am »
Much better.  Yoyoing is a disaster.   Stability on a lower level is the thing, especially if you are happy :)
Getting there...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #416 on: 28 January, 2009, 11:44:52 am »
Thats what I've come to believe too. TBH I could lose another stone, but I don't really think my body could sustain it. Maintenance is a fight though isn't it?

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #417 on: 28 January, 2009, 12:01:37 pm »
Another two pounds off.  I'm starting to think that my target of 12 stone might be within reach, but it is getting harder.  Funnily enough I was finding it easier to lose weight when I wasn't making an effort to train every day- I didn't feel hungry nearly so often.

simonp

« Reply #418 on: 28 January, 2009, 10:49:14 pm »
4lbs off this week.  :thumbsup:

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #419 on: 28 January, 2009, 10:53:00 pm »
I seem to have stalled.

I have a feeling that our scales skip 13:12, and don't change until I reach 13:11. I've had this problem before at about this weight.

(I hit 13:11 just over a week ago, then jumped back to 13:13. 13:12 never happened, either up or down.)

Regulator

« Reply #420 on: 29 January, 2009, 07:20:45 am »
I have somehow managed to put on 3 lbs this week....  >:(

Green Party Councillor

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #421 on: 29 January, 2009, 07:43:40 am »
I have somehow managed to put on 3 lbs this week....  >:(

Bad luck old Bean, I hate it when that happens. 

Ever since I embarked on this weight loss lark it has never ceased to amaze me how abitrary it can be.  Some weeks I have gained even though I've done nothing overtly wrong, other times when I know I have strayed from the path of righteousness I've lost.  Weird.

Chris S

« Reply #422 on: 29 January, 2009, 07:52:37 am »
Although I'm guilty of scales watching too, weight is actually a rather poor measure of progress.

Most people's weight bounces around all over the place, and only exhibits a trend over a long span of time - say, 6 months. My weight can fluctuate a lot, for various reasons - some of them quite subtle. For example, I'll often be quite dehydrated after an Audax. This is not because I've not drunk enough during the event - but because my Glycogen level is low, and each 1g of Glycogen is bound to about 4g of water in the muscles. This can lead to a lower weight reading.

Another one is gut transit. If I reduce what I eat as part of a weight loss drive, then my gut transit slows a lot, and I can end up carrying rather a lot of... erm... "extra" around. This is despite eating a lot of fibre, and drinking water 'til I pee like a horse. It's just the way I am.

So - my Message of the Day - we need to try not to obsess about a few pounds/Kgs here or there.

Regulator

« Reply #423 on: 29 January, 2009, 07:55:38 am »
I think it may be because I've been back on the bike quite a bit this week.  I find I tend to gain weight for the first week or so after being back on the bike and then I begin to lose it quite steadily after that if I keep using the bike.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #424 on: 29 January, 2009, 10:06:16 am »
Don't lose heart; it's not much.
Getting there...