Author Topic: How Many Notes?  (Read 2011 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
How Many Notes?
« on: 27 December, 2018, 09:30:51 pm »
David is playing his electric organ next door.
An assortment of random music is selected.

I am pondering as to how many notes are normally needed to name a tune with certainty.

I suppose it's mostly 4-6...

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
Re: How Many Notes?
« Reply #1 on: 27 December, 2018, 09:55:41 pm »

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 28 December, 2018, 09:45:55 am »
They could make a gameshow out of this!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 28 December, 2018, 10:28:17 am »
They have a feature on the 6Music early show (“the plink test”) where they play a brief snippet, at a guess I’d say one tenth of a second, of a tune and the audience is invited to guess it. A little different as it’s recognition of the performance rather than the tune though.

To recognise a tune I’d agree with Helly.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4 on: 28 December, 2018, 02:37:12 pm »

I am pondering as to how many notes are normally needed to name a tune with certainty.

We don't need to hear any notes, because from earlier posts it can only be this:demon:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 28 December, 2018, 11:26:19 pm »
They have a feature on the 6Music early show (“the plink test”) where they play a brief snippet, at a guess I’d say one tenth of a second, of a tune and the audience is invited to guess it. A little different as it’s recognition of the performance rather than the tune though.

We have that in the pub quiz.  Torslanda or she of the heavy metal breastplate get it every time.  I usually blink and miss it.

« Reply #6 on: 28 December, 2018, 11:47:07 pm »

We don't need to hear any notes, because from earlier posts it can only be this:demon:

Careful Andrij, you'll be adding another quote to your signature. But I appreciated your sentiment.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7 on: 29 December, 2018, 09:46:25 am »

We have that in the pub quiz.  Torslanda or she of the heavy metal breastplate get it every time.  I usually blink and miss it.

...and it's mostly her. Don't even think about the 'backwards tune', I have absolutely no idea!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 29 December, 2018, 10:43:02 am »
There's one ditty on The Soft Boys' classic album "Live At The Portland Arms" in which Robyn Hitchcock proclaims "There's no notes in this one!"
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #9 on: 29 December, 2018, 01:31:47 pm »
Are they Oasis covers?

« Reply #10 on: 30 December, 2018, 08:30:40 pm »
I believe that in cases of alleged plagiarism of tunes the legal test has been surprisingly short - IIRC a phrase of no more than 5 or 6 notes has been considered infringement, though I suppose note length as well as pitch is taken into account.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 11 January, 2019, 09:21:27 pm »
I reckon you only need two or three notes to recognise this:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP0xhCsySrVumQ7HCdikkTWdodNcXSFoJpOUQa4

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMvCioCL670zoK1ZG8RCx0MqxKcm2cWpfkH88QH

I started learning that piece (Bach's Gigue from Partita no 1 in B♭) just before Christmas. I have been told that it has been set for this year's Associated Board grade 7 exam. I have committed it to memory and now just need to practise it a lot to get rid of the stumbles and add a bit more speed.

Interestingly, at no point in the whole piece are two notes depressed simultaneously - Bach at his most minimalist.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.